border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Eublepharis Macularius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-13, 04:12 PM   #1
drumcrush

mealworm colony

This is my starting colony that I have been working on for a few months. I have 6 beatles, a lot of pupae( don't know how to spell it haha) and a couple of old mealmealworms. I got tired of going to petsmart everyweek :/ so I'm breeding these to feed my leo please comment and give me some tips if u got any
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1372716269329.jpg (24.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 20130701_180231.jpg (23.9 KB, 55 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 07-01-13, 08:22 PM   #2
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Re: mealworm colony

I know a place where you can get 10,000 mealworms for $60 shipped if you are interested.
Old 07-01-13, 08:45 PM   #3
drumcrush

Oh no, I just got some haha but thanks though
Old 07-01-13, 09:05 PM   #4
sweatshirt

Eeek. Good luck with those :P
Old 07-01-13, 09:17 PM   #5
Amadeus
Banned

Do they smell?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-01-13, 09:54 PM   #6
drumcrush

Haha not really, the only thing I really smell are the banana peels I sometimes put in their, which I don't have to use but I'd rather give them a varied diet so I can load them with different vitamins
Old 07-03-13, 05:53 PM   #7
DragonsEye

I always found mealworms to be very easy to do when I had my leo. She really seemed enjoyed the pupae (yes you spelled it correctly ). I'd let a few mature when my populations started getting low. Generally fed the adult beetles to my spiders and Ts.

In a high population density situation, it seemed that most of the mealworms would remain in larval stage. If a small group was removed and placed in another container, those individuals appeared to mature quite quickly. Never took the time to carefully document things to verify if it was actually the case or just "seemed" that way.

Mine received fish flake food (which they consumed voraciously) in addition to the meal. Occasionally a small chunk of potato or carrot would be left in for a time as a moisture source. Do be careful of allowing the culture to get too moist as it will spoil.
Old 07-03-13, 07:47 PM   #8
jarich

Careful guys, both fish flakes and banana are very high in phosphorous. I've got a recipe for a high calcium diet if you want it. It brings their Ca:P ratio up to an acceptable level.
Old 07-04-13, 12:22 PM   #9
drumcrush

Awesome guys thanks for the information, I had a little moisture in their but I just fanned it out and everything is fine and I wish I had some spiders that my mom would let me keep haha
Closed Thread

Tags
feeders, leopard gecko, mealworms