sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Epicrates

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-16, 11:09 AM   #121
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Sanji

Sanji is looking great and growing well BSG.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 07-21-16, 03:17 PM   #122
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ziggy View Post
Sanji is looking great and growing well BSG.
Thanks! I'm definitely not trying to push him, and once he's on rats he should grow even better!
Old 08-11-16, 02:35 AM   #123
bigsnakegirl785

Sanji is slowly creeping up in weight. He took his second jumbo mouse yesterday after a recent shed, and weighed in at 233 grams the day before. It won't be long before he's on rats. I'm guessing probably once he reaches/exceeds 300 grams, as Nymeria is much girthier than he is at 285 grams, and I feel a weaned rat is still a tad too large for her.
Old 09-09-16, 10:01 PM   #124
bigsnakegirl785

Last weigh in he was 257 grams, and according to SerpWidgets he's 3'2". Still going to give him some time before I attempt weaned rats.

Old 09-12-16, 02:02 PM   #125
Snakesitter

Love SerpWidgets...looking good!
Website, Facebook
Login to remove ads
Old 09-12-16, 02:53 PM   #126
JellyBean

Pretty boy! It was fun to watch him grow
Old 09-12-16, 03:15 PM   #127
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean View Post
Pretty boy! It was fun to watch him grow
He's still growing, so stick around if you can! lol It will be few more years before he reaches adult size.
Old 09-12-16, 04:15 PM   #128
JellyBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
He's still growing, so stick around if you can! lol It will be few more years before he reaches adult size.
I will!
I actually started a thread for Bean, so I could have one place where I can keep track of his progress.

I use a simple app called "snake keeper" so I have a place for feeding and growth info since we got him in January. But here, we can post pics, and get feedback
Old 09-12-16, 05:33 PM   #129
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean View Post
I will!
I actually started a thread for Bean, so I could have one place where I can keep track of his progress.

I use a simple app called "snake keeper" so I have a place for feeding and growth info since we got him in January. But here, we can post pics, and get feedback
I use iHerp, the layout is a little easier for me to decipher, does about everything Snake Keeper does, but is opened in a browser rather than an app so might be a little more trouble for some. I've been using it for a little over 2 years now and like it. Those sorts of tools definitely make life easier! I remember when I was keeping everyone's records on Word...
Old 09-13-16, 06:17 AM   #130
JellyBean

Thanks for the info, I'll try Iherp and compare

I like the idea of it being in a browser so I can get to the info from any of my devices...
Old 10-30-16, 01:31 AM   #131
bigsnakegirl785

Sanji weighed in at 300 grams a few days ago. Still eating a jumbo mouse every other week, but I'm hoping he'll be on weaned rats soon.

Unfortunately I have no clue when I'm going to be able to update any of my threads with photos because I've had nonstop problems uploading photos to Photobucket, Tumblr, Flikr, and Facebook for over a week now.
Old 11-01-16, 03:19 PM   #132
bigsnakegirl785

Well had the internet company reset our internet so we're back up to speed.

Here's a bunch of photos I took like last week sometime...Had him out to dampen his bedding and decided to take some photos while I was at it as he hasn't seen the lens in awhile.

Old 11-01-16, 06:01 PM   #133
Albert Clark

Looking good! Grats.
Old 11-03-16, 03:55 PM   #134
Railrider1920

Sanji looks good.

I am wondering about the substrate you are using. It looks like cedar or cypress. Why did you switch from the other stuff you were using. I think it was a moss of some kind. Is the moss suggested for the younger ones only?
Thanks
Old 11-03-16, 09:40 PM   #135
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railrider1920 View Post
Sanji looks good.

I am wondering about the substrate you are using. It looks like cedar or cypress. Why did you switch from the other stuff you were using. I think it was a moss of some kind. Is the moss suggested for the younger ones only?
Thanks
It's a mixture of cypress mulch and EcoEarth. Once I'm through with the bag I have, I plan on switching the cypress out for ReptiChip or something like that, because of the environmental impacts of using cypress. But it was a temporary thing because at the time I didn't have too much of a choice.

I kept Sanji on just sphagnum moss without any problems for like 1-1.5 years, but when I got Morzan and Homura I had nothing but problems with mold no matter what I did. Spraying, soaking, keeping it dry, didn't matter. I doubled the air holes and STILL could not get the mold to go away. Within a couple days everything would be carpeted in mold, and once Homura's tub was so bad I couldn't see anything through the cloud of spores. I didn't want to dehydrate them so I opted getting cypress in-town vs waiting a week with no humidity to order something online.

So I completely ditched the sphagnum moss and switched Homura and Morzan to cypress mulch, but by itself it wasn't maintaining humidity whatsoever so I mixed EcoEarth in. I wasn't using EcoEarth by itself because I also had problems with mold using EcoEarth in my belly heat set ups when I first got Sanji. So far the mixture been working out quite well.

I switched Sanji even though I wasn't having problems with him because it would be cheaper to give him the mix, too, rather than buying the moss. It takes two packs of moss to cover his tub, at $7 per pack, when I can spend $10 (used to be $7) on a 3-pack of EcoEarth and whatever it costs for the rest of the mixture and have enough bedding to do bedding changes in his tub every week for an entire year. Which, I don't need to change the bedding weekly anymore and I use the EcoEarth for most everyone else as well.

At $7 per pack, with the amount of moss it would take to cover his 4'x2' as an adult, I'd be spending $40-50 weekly doing bedding changes on sphagnum moss, when I could spend maybe $20 a couple times a year using EcoEarth, so he'd be taken off the moss regardless.
Closed Thread