Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-12, 09:22 PM   #91
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Re: Close Call with a King Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
People crowded into the treatment room to see the "bite victim". I think they thought he was gonna turn into some lizard or something..

Picturing the scene, dozens of long necked ostreich looking people poking their heads in.
Old 12-15-12, 09:38 PM   #92
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

Thanks for clarifying yourself Frank. I think you took my posting about the king at my mentor's house wrong. I should have been more careful with my words apparently. The snake came out of the cage when it was feeding; it had food in its mouth; my mentor was in control with his hook and cage shield and i was on the other side of the room. The sudden advance of the snake, its size and impressiveness made me inatinctively back up. It startled me how confident and quick the animal was, but I was not under attack cornered. Sorry for the confusion.
As for my cousin's king with the ticks- would you have preferred the poor thing be allowed to suffer coveted in parasites? If one takes on the responsibility of owning a dangerous animal, one accepts the risks of caring for it. I did the best i could given my limited pohealth aer the situation. Id hoped that, given yoir experience, you could have suggested medicine. I never expected an attack on the private ownership of venomous like you came across in your posts.
I maintain that in your posts and pm's you could be interpreted as arrogant; you certainly state strong opposition to hot keeping, yet then you claim private owners contribute great details and discoveries.
I am definitely displeased with how this thread has turned out.
However I am constantly seeking knowledge and new information as pertains to the health and care of my snakes. If you ever have information or scientific advances re the species I adore, I'd be more than willing to move past this. However, I'd appreciate it if you'd stop acting like you know whats best for all other herpers. You may have decades of zoo experience, but you are not the only expert re specific classes of snakes on this forum. We have many excellent knowledgeable members on here...I can think of a few I've butted heads with in the past and since grown to respect.
If you want respect here, respect the rest of us.
Old 12-15-12, 10:01 PM   #93
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
Thanks for clarifying yourself Frank. I think you took my posting about the king at my mentor's house wrong. I should have been more careful with my words apparently. The snake came out of the cage when it was feeding; it had food in its mouth; my mentor was in control with his hook and cage shield and i was on the other side of the room. The sudden advance of the snake, its size and impressiveness made me inatinctively back up. It startled me how confident and quick the animal was, but I was not under attack cornered. Sorry for the confusion.
As for my cousin's king with the ticks- would you have preferred the poor thing be allowed to suffer coveted in parasites? If one takes on the responsibility of owning a dangerous animal, one accepts the risks of caring for it. I did the best i could given my limited pohealth aer the situation. Id hoped that, given yoir experience, you could have suggested medicine. I never expected an attack on the private ownership of venomous like you came across in your posts.
I maintain that in your posts and pm's you could be interpreted as arrogant; you certainly state strong opposition to hot keeping, yet then you claim private owners contribute great details and discoveries.
I am definitely displeased with how this thread has turned out.
However I am constantly seeking knowledge and new information as pertains to the health and care of my snakes. If you ever have information or scientific advances re the species I adore, I'd be more than willing to move past this. However, I'd appreciate it if you'd stop acting like you know whats best for all other herpers. You may have decades of zoo experience, but you are not the only expert re specific classes of snakes on this forum. We have many excellent knowledgeable members on here...I can think of a few I've butted heads with in the past and since grown to respect.
If you want respect here, respect the rest of us.
I would have preferred your cousin left the ticks...his life is more important than that of the snakes' making a bad decision to keep one does not change that.

I see no point in the cobra incident any further.

Re care and the dangers involved in keeping venomous animals at home, my information is more accurate that what I've seen posted here. If by "what is best" you mean re "choice" freedom" lifestyle and other such terms, I have no interest in that.

I am not courting respect here, and have no illusions as to what can be accomplished; hopefully someone whose mind is not yet set will benefit.
Old 12-16-12, 01:16 PM   #94
StudentoReptile

I for one have been following this thread with interest, and have enjoyed Frank's posts immensely. I don't see many hot keepers that share such a broad, well-rounded perspective on these matters, but it is refreshing to know there are still a few out there that do. I can only name a handful personally, and these are the people I would seek advice from should I ever decide (again) to get into hots.

Whether you court it or not, Frank, you have my respect.
Old 12-16-12, 01:23 PM   #95
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentoReptile View Post
I for one have been following this thread with interest, and have enjoyed Frank's posts immensely. I don't see many hot keepers that share such a broad, well-rounded perspective on these matters, but it is refreshing to know there are still a few out there that do. I can only name a handful personally, and these are the people I would seek advice from should I ever decide (again) to get into hots.

Whether you court it or not, Frank, you have my respect.
Much appreciated, sorry for generating so much to read, Best, Frank
Login to remove ads
Old 12-16-12, 01:25 PM   #96
StudentoReptile

No need to apologize. More info is better than less, in my book.
Old 06-03-13, 07:12 PM   #97
TheTaipan

Very close call. wow
Closed Thread

Tags
cobra escape, king cobra