Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-12, 12:15 PM   #46
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783
Re: Close Call with a King Cobra

I agree that there are too many dum***es owning snakes in general, let alone venomous. My viewpoint is that there should be required training with a registered, qualified mentor, somewhat like what Florida has set up. If everyone, regardless of the state they lived in, was required to have 500-1000 hours of training with a state-registered mentor, the number of idiots buying venomous just because they look cool, or they think it would be bada** would be far less.
However, it is my viewpoint that it is not fair to prevent those who would keep the animals responsibly and carefully from having them just because some idiots ruined it for them. The stupid people ruin far too many of our privileges in this country.

Anyway, I've stated my viewpoint, and my reasoning for it, several times. It appears that I am in the minority. I will continue to keep my venomous snakes, and enjoy the fascination and wonder they hold for me. I won't post any more on this thread...I honestly don't think that there is any more I can add or say.
Old 12-12-12, 12:24 PM   #47
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
I agree that there are too many dum***es owning snakes in general, let alone venomous. My viewpoint is that there should be required training with a registered, qualified mentor, somewhat like what Florida has set up. If everyone, regardless of the state they lived in, was required to have 500-1000 hours of training with a state-registered mentor, the number of idiots buying venomous just because they look cool, or they think it would be bada** would be far less.
However, it is my viewpoint that it is not fair to prevent those who would keep the animals responsibly and carefully from having them just because some idiots ruined it for them. The stupid people ruin far too many of our privileges in this country.

Anyway, I've stated my viewpoint, and my reasoning for it, several times. It appears that I am in the minority. I will continue to keep my venomous snakes, and enjoy the fascination and wonder they hold for me. I won't post any more on this thread...I honestly don't think that there is any more I can add or say.
I agree that there would be less of them but probably not by much. The US has gun control laws and yet there's plenty of people illegally owning them. I do agree that at least it's a step in the right direction and gives some guidance to things.
Old 12-12-12, 12:26 PM   #48
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at some of the idiocies posted on youtube to actually come to the conclusion that 90% of the human population is lacking a chromosome or two.

Mr. tough guy buys a "wicked looking" viper, puts it on display so his buddies will call him awesome, The drinking begins, smoke a little pot, "hey man I dare you to put a mouse in there" "awe dude that would be wicked cool"

TAG

"oh wow man, you ok?" call 911!!!
Old 12-12-12, 02:36 PM   #49
Will0W783

Lol Aaron!

Btw, I noticed that certain members' posts have been suspiciously deleted from this thread. They didn't break any rules, just stated their opinion. ...what is wrong with that?

For the record, I agree with them. The constant "talk to me if you want a career in herpetology" seems to be arrogant...I'm sure it's only if we choose to work with "approved" species. I was very excited to see a retired zookeeper join the forum, but I'm very disappointed that he appears to think himself far superior to the rest of us lowly private owners.
Old 12-12-12, 02:38 PM   #50
Gungirl
Diesel the pumpkin killer

Very well worded Kim. I agree with your statement and also noticed a few posts vanish.. seems odd how the forum is catering to some while neglecting others opinions. As long as no rules are broken there is no need to delete a post.
Old 12-12-12, 02:40 PM   #51
Will0W783

Exactly Kat!
Old 12-12-12, 02:56 PM   #52
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungirl View Post
Very well worded Kim. I agree with your statement and also noticed a few posts vanish.. seems odd how the forum is catering to some while neglecting others opinions. As long as no rules are broken there is no need to delete a post.
It could be an act to "clean up" as a lot of people have made their views on that "issue".

As well as, people can report posts and then can be edited or deleted as the mod sees fit.
Old 12-12-12, 04:11 PM   #53
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
It could be an act to "clean up" as a lot of people have made their views on that "issue".

As well as, people can report posts and then can be edited or deleted as the mod sees fit.
That's an overstepping of admin duties and an abuse of power IMO. Whether this constitutes such I have no comment because I didn't see the posts that were deleted.

The arrogance displayed by some "professionals" is what gets to me. I'm 100% with Kim on the training and licensing aspect in regards to hots, and I think it should be the same for giants and large lizards as well, but that's another topic...
Old 12-12-12, 04:18 PM   #54
infernalis

One day, just for fun, I will assemble just the posts we have deleted, it looks like forum full of people with turrets.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 12-12-12, 04:45 PM   #55
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
One day, just for fun, I will assemble just the posts we have deleted, it looks like forum full of people with turrets.
Just give me mod status and let the forum know. I fully believe people will scatter left right and center.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-12-12, 04:47 PM   #56
Will0W783

Nah Aaron, we love you. You'd never get rid of me, muwahahaha!
Old 12-12-12, 05:00 PM   #57
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Thanks Kim

In regards to Frank. I think since he has stated he'd like to leave this argument/thread that we just let it die. He has his opinion and he's entitled to it. No matter our thoughts on how arrogant you may think he's being. This isn't a topic I see going anywhere and it would be foolish to chase Frank away when he only just got here.
Old 12-12-12, 05:08 PM   #58
beardeds4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
Lol Aaron!

Btw, I noticed that certain members' posts have been suspiciously deleted from this thread. They didn't break any rules, just stated their opinion. ...what is wrong with that?

For the record, I agree with them. The constant "talk to me if you want a career in herpetology" seems to be arrogant...I'm sure it's only if we choose to work with "approved" species. I was very excited to see a retired zookeeper join the forum, but I'm very disappointed that he appears to think himself far superior to the rest of us lowly private owners.
I agree. Even if it was just an act of cleaning up the thread I still dont agree and do agree that it was an abuse of power. But I do agree that we let it die.
Old 12-12-12, 09:01 PM   #59
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Quote:
Should firefighters have to enter a burning building (a mortal risk already) only to be bitten by a scared venemous snake who's cage just broke from the heat??
I thought about this after the whole sign at the bottom of the door stating venomous snakes inside. I can't think of any possible way of a fire or superheated gasses causing enough damage to an enclosure to let the snake out without killing it in the event of a fully involved structure fire requiring interior operations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxzoofrank View Post
Regulating dangerous activities is a normal function of government - seat belts, drug use, firearms, food processing, (and in NYC, the size of soft drinks!..obviously that one has some up in arms), tobacco use, and so on...
Yeah, sometimes a little too much. You can't baby people into living longer because they are too stupid to keep themselves alive. There's a certain natural selection thing going on, or rather, should be, if you take a look at those chromosome lacking individuals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxzoofrank View Post
But aside from all that, look at it this way: how many venomous snake keeping private people have, on hand, the number of vials of the appropriate antivenin (at several thousand dollars per vial, and some of which is very hard to import, even for zoos on hand, the commitment of the local police dept or ambulance to respond instantly when notified, and a backup transportation method if that fails, the resources and a plan to get more antivenin choppered to the hospital if, as often happens, more is needed, a trained person present at all times when a cage is opened so that snake can be secured or killed and first aid can be started, this same person must know, and keep up with changes to, the care protocol which must be started as soon as a bite occurs...ie.. limiting spread of venom, process of which varies by group and in some cases by species (the victim cannot move after being bitten, lest venom circulate more quickly); instant updating on the many changes that occur re antivenin needed (snake venom composition evolves quite rapidly as prey species evolve defenses, and this greatly affects treatment), please understand - this is just a quick rambling and poorly worded, sorry) example of some of the considerations that need be addressed; in my long experience, and in among my contacts worldwide, no private keeper has taken care of all of the above).
Well, you're wrong.

And as far as antivenin, maybe things are different in other states, but here those will only be administered by an MD, regardless if you stock them or not. Paramedics will not administer it, and unless you've had it before, i'd consider you a fool to administer it yourself with the possibility of anaphylaxis killing you faster(species dependant).
Old 12-12-12, 09:10 PM   #60
Will0W783

Very well said, RandyRhoads!
Closed Thread

Tags
cobra escape, king cobra