sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Heterodon

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-16, 06:58 AM   #31
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Re: How do you name your animals?

I agree, since i started naming them my friends and family seem more interested and less frightened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
Renji (Super hypo Nicaragua boa)
Rukia (T+ Nicaragua boa)

Xena (Tiger Retic)
Zuko (Purple Albino retic)
Loki (Labyrinth het albino burmese)
Hiro (Genetic stripe retic het albino),

(Lord) Sebastian (Bullsnake) He already had this name, still unsure whether or not he is staying here so keeping that name.
Old 01-09-16, 08:07 PM   #32
Mad Max

I usually spend a couple of weeks or more getting to know them and eventually one just seems to fit. My snake was such a little snapper the first week I handled him that I almost named him Mad Max, but he quickly reversed his behavior and became so easygoing that 'Karl' just seemed to suit him better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
My Genetic stripe retic het albino, is still nameless. I am trying to give him a name i find fitting, but i am having a really hard time choosing!: Hiro or Haku.
Haku is a great name for an albino.
Old 01-09-16, 11:21 PM   #33
Nightflight99

There are times that I regret having zero interest in naming my reptiles, because if I did, I could have tons of fun with it. I'm almost certain that I would use taxon-specific themes: For instance, all of the boas would receive names of famous painters. There would be a Renoir, a Monet, and of course a Rembrandt. The tree pythons would be named after famous composers, like Bach, Vivaldi, or Mozart. It would seem adequate for the rattlesnakes to be named after rock icons, like Jagger, Presley, or Berry. And let's not forget about the mambas, who should probably receive names like Dahmer, Bundy, and Gacy...

But instead of all that, my animals just receive boring ID numbers.

The upside is that I can actually remember those IDs...

55.59.7 squamates, 1.1 Canis lupus, and 0.1 Homo sapiens.
Old 01-09-16, 11:47 PM   #34
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

My crested gecko, Rodney McKay or "Rodney" - my favourite character in Stargate Atlantis

My Rosy Boa, Boaz (ancient Hebrew name that means "in strength"). Why? Because "boa" is in the name!

My Okeetee Corn, Jasper, just because I really liked the sound of the name.
Instagram: pareeeee17
Old 01-10-16, 04:35 PM   #35
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflight99 View Post
There are times that I regret having zero interest in naming my reptiles, because if I did, I could have tons of fun with it. I'm almost certain that I would use taxon-specific themes: For instance, all of the boas would receive names of famous painters. There would be a Renoir, a Monet, and of course a Rembrandt. The tree pythons would be named after famous composers, like Bach, Vivaldi, or Mozart. It would seem adequate for the rattlesnakes to be named after rock icons, like Jagger, Presley, or Berry. And let's not forget about the mambas, who should probably receive names like Dahmer, Bundy, and Gacy...

But instead of all that, my animals just receive boring ID numbers.

The upside is that I can actually remember those IDs...

A good Excel program, or less so an Access-like program. Then you just link the nickname with the ID number. :P

I can understand not naming all your animals, though, you've got a nice handful.
Old 01-10-16, 04:40 PM   #36
sirtalis

Usually after movie characters, leo #1 is named rango, when I got him the movie had just came out & I saw it in theaters, leo #2 is named sander/toothless I got him from a friend who named him sander. I renamed her toothless but the first name always stuck with her.
Old 01-10-16, 04:55 PM   #37
dross9615

I wanted to go with something Celtic based because I have a lot of Scottish blood in me but the guy I got my boa from told me he had something for me to transport him in and he just found a brown sugar cane box laying around and threw him in there. So my wife told me why don't we just name him cane so I had to go with that
Old 01-10-16, 05:20 PM   #38
Keira

I usually name mine based on the way they act. My first ball python got named curly, then I had Reaper (ball python) thanks to her fast eating habits, then Mistress (ball python) because she was the biggest ball I had owned at the time. Now I have my Boa named Keira which means little dark one.
Old 01-10-16, 05:26 PM   #39
Nightflight99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post

A good Excel program, or less so an Access-like program. Then you just link the nickname with the ID number. :P

I can understand not naming all your animals, though, you've got a nice handful.
Not sure, I think its just a lack of interest. I actually tried it many years ago, but I quickly realized that I was so uninterested in any of the names that I constantly had to look them up, which kind of defeated the purpose. Interestingly enough, I find the naming process really fun with foster dogs, but not with reptiles. I suppose it has something to do with the dogs being family members, whereas there is no personal relationship with the reptiles.

Old 01-12-16, 06:19 PM   #40
reptiledude987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflight99 View Post
Not sure, I think its just a lack of interest. I actually tried it many years ago, but I quickly realized that I was so uninterested in any of the names that I constantly had to look them up, which kind of defeated the purpose. Interestingly enough, I find the naming process really fun with foster dogs, but not with reptiles. I suppose it has something to do with the dogs being family members, whereas there is no personal relationship with the reptiles.
I would Imagine there would be a select few in your extensive collection where theres one that stands out due to behaviour ro being a favorite where a name would stick. Or just couldnt be bothered at all at this point? lol
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Login to remove ads
Old 01-12-16, 07:30 PM   #41
Nightflight99

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptiledude987 View Post
I would Imagine there would be a select few in your extensive collection where theres one that stands out due to behaviour ro being a favorite where a name would stick. Or just couldnt be bothered at all at this point? lol
My girlfriend is infatuated with the female cape cobra, and decided to name her 'Stella.' Aside from that, they're all unnamed. I also have plenty of favorites in my collection, but just no interest in naming them. Boring, I know...

Old 01-12-16, 08:39 PM   #42
prairiepanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
All my spiders get both names and ID numbers, and I use a Google spreadsheet to track feedings, molts, etc. across multiple devices. I refer to them all by name, but the ID numbers are helpful for organizing my spreadsheet and to keep track of breeding(which I don't currently do but may pick up again in the future)

I would probably do the same for the snakes if I had a lot of them. For just 5 snakes, though, names are plenty.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 01-12-16, 10:42 PM   #43
Nightflight99

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiepanda View Post
All my spiders get both names and ID numbers, and I use a Google spreadsheet to track feedings, molts, etc. across multiple devices. I refer to them all by name, but the ID numbers are helpful for organizing my spreadsheet and to keep track of breeding
Greetings, fellow spreadsheet junkie...

Add to your list of data the regular weighing, and here we are.

Old 01-15-16, 06:53 PM   #44
SerpentineDream

The latest addition to the fold is an Apricot Pueblan x Nelson's intergrade milk snake and I decided to go with something geographically / culturally appropriate. Both subspecies hail from Mexico. The Aztec winged serpent god Quetzalcoatl was the first runner up but that name sure is a mouthful. We went with Cociyo, the Zapotec serpent god of lightning, clouds and rain who made the world and dances across the sky during thunderstorms (occasionally striking at the earth or an unfortunate human).
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Old 01-20-16, 03:25 AM   #45
Lefitte

I've always been fond of naming things. Sometimes names just happen. I had a betta fish I named Kirei because I saw him on the shelf and immediately though "sou kirei" meaning 'so pretty' in Japanese. However, most of the time, it's well thought out and chosen from a few after I get to know them. The two cats I named are Cassia Synge [she earned her middle name after singing her whiskers] and Number Six [who was born 6th. Also references a song by a band I love, I wear a number 6 on my necklace for him]. My snakes took much more thought. My best friend actually named Eir. I wanted something god-related with vowels that was easy for my family to pronounce since they couldn't say my bettas' Japanese names. Eir is pretty easy. She's the goddess/valkyrie of healing in Norse mythology. Think of her as an ER doctor. I was preparing to have dental work down when I got Eir so it fit.

Xango was harder to find a name for and I started looking weeks before I had him. Xango is the Candomble [a religion in South America, especially Brazil] spelling of an African god of thunder, Shango. I loved it and it had a connection to Brazil which I was trying to do. He seems like a pretty fun god. He throws parties and plays drums which is what you hear when it thunders, according to legend. He also uses a double headed axe and Xango has a marking on the back of his head that reminds me of one. Only downside? My sister always thinks I'm saying Django wrong, like Django Reinhardt.
Closed Thread