Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-16, 01:25 PM   #16
Arachnaeoccult

Re: Why I like the kenyan sand boa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
Tiny makes valid points.

Also, keep in mind that if a pet store does 'buy' the babies, they may only offer you store credit. Speaking from experience, that is both good and bad. While you can easily afford food, decor, and ither reptile or pet related stuff, you also may be more open to tradi g for another animal. Which is fine, unless you really shouldn't be aupporting another animal. Also, because it's store credit and not real money, you may miss out on cash you might actually need. Like groceries, a traffic ticket, new cloths, ect.

Also, as others have said, they are cool, but not terribly popular like a BP or BCI/BCC. So, having even just 20 babies, while neat, means you may only trade/sell 5 at pet stores (they will not take all 20, and give you less than half of what they are worth.) You may sell another 5 through craigs list, but that is not a quick turn around. I still have 4 baby cresties to sell. I will also be taking them to my local store for trade because I need feeders. I also have a relationship with my store, so am offered a bit more than someone who comes in out of nowhere.

While it is a fun and sometimes rewarding cycle of breeding and selling, it's not for everyone either. And that's for everything, not just kenyans.

I will be taking this season off because of my plans to move.

And also think of space. Keeping kenyans in mind, you may get 20 babies, you will need 20 containers with substrate, water, and heat until they are sold. Ither than space, you will need the materials, and while not a huge thing, may make your water and electric bills higher.

I'll re-evaluate. I have a cricket breeding operation penned. To me its a necessary gap to fill in owning more spiders and maybe certain kinds of lizards. Breeding would allow me to get thousands and sell them or feed them in.
Old 01-15-16, 01:32 PM   #17
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

That's cool. I personally suggest roaches over crickets. They don't die as easily and if you do dubias, you'll have almost no escapes. They also smell less and make NO noise! They can also be healthier than crickets.

Also, there are loooots of different kinds of roaches, so you can get some rather pretty bugs! I suggest taking a look at cape cod roaches. They are a breeder/seller and have some awesome bugs!

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 01-15-16, 01:32 PM   #18
eminart

And since we're in the colubrid section anyway, what about hognose snakes? If you like kenyans, you'll love hoggies! Small size, lots of colors and patterns, less bitey, somewhat more visible, etc. etc.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 01-15-16, 01:46 PM   #19
trailblazer295

Okay what is going on here????? Did hell freeze over? Mink isn't the first person to suggest a hog instead? My world no longer makes sense.
Old 01-15-16, 01:56 PM   #20
Arachnaeoccult

I'll look at the hog noses.

I see only a few roaches are legal in florida, I can get Green Banana Roaches (Panchlora nivea) for sale | Roaches for sale | Cape Cod Roaches- dubia, discoid, hissers pet these. My only problem with roaches is a lack of space to hide them in their own spot. People would look at homegrown roaches oddly.

Speaking of creepy crawlies I saw a $35 centipede over there!
Login to remove ads
Old 01-15-16, 02:07 PM   #21
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Put them in a large dark tub. That's what I did with mine because they creeped my mom out lol. They don't need light, just warmth and humidity. With proper ventilation you could just put them outside. =)

Also, did not suggest a hoggie because most are not 'cheap', but, they are certainly awesome if you want a small, visual, wasily handled snake lol.

I stopped counting at 30....
Closed Thread