border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-16, 01:46 PM   #1
nnniiino

Exclamation Found dead snake!!!

hello, my girlfriend found a dead snake and we want to skin it and probably mount it on a wood body, like taxidermy, but the cause of dead is unknown
i want to know what are the dangers of working with a dead animal and how to do the procedure properly
i would appreciate a fast response since i dont know when its going to start to decompose and damage the skin

Thanks ahead
Login to remove ads
Old 05-18-16, 01:50 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Found dead snake!!!

Your best bet is to contact a taxidermist as people who keep snakes alive probably don't know much about stuffing their body and mounting them.
Old 05-19-16, 12:57 PM   #3
AlexCrazy

Hello.. im no expert on taxidermi.. but I sugest not to open up a snake if you dont know the cause of deaht.. it could of ben poison or infection or other things that could be bt for you.. I would not recomend meing ner it.. just my personal thoughts.. BE SAFE ANY WAY!
Old 05-19-16, 02:06 PM   #4
eminart

There's a whole process involved in doing taxidermy correctly. It's not as easy as just skinning it and putting the skin on a form. The skin has to be preserved.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 05-19-16, 02:34 PM   #5
Jim Smith

Tanning a snakeskin is a very simple process. Follow these easy steps and you will soon be finished.

1. Skin out the snake and make sure that all the meat and fat are removed from the flesh side of the skin.
2. Mix a solution of equal parts pure glycerin and rubbing alcohol in a sealable container. Make enough to fully submerge the skin.
3. Loosely roll the snakeskin, put it into the solution, and seal the container.
4. Let the snakeskin sit for 5-7 days stirring once a day. Make sure that the skin is fully submerged.
5. Remove the skin from the container and rinse with water.
6. Use a dull knife and scrape the flesh side to remove any loose membrane. This will give the flesh side a nice clean look when you are finished.
7. Spread a light coat of the pure glycerin on the flesh side and let it hang dry for 24 hours.
8. Use a damp cloth to wipe any excess residue off the skin and you're all done.

I use this method when I find a road kill snake that I can use to make into custom pens. I would never kill a snake for this purpose, but if they are already dead due to road kill, I hate to see them go to waste.

Here's a photo of a pen I made from a Copperhead skin when I found it on the road. I have a friend who found another one two days agao that he's saving for me which I will use for pens.
Old 05-20-16, 06:17 AM   #6
eminart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
Tanning a snakeskin is a very simple process. Follow these easy steps and you will soon be finished.

1. Skin out the snake and make sure that all the meat and fat are removed from the flesh side of the skin.
2. Mix a solution of equal parts pure glycerin and rubbing alcohol in a sealable container. Make enough to fully submerge the skin.
3. Loosely roll the snakeskin, put it into the solution, and seal the container.
4. Let the snakeskin sit for 5-7 days stirring once a day. Make sure that the skin is fully submerged.
5. Remove the skin from the container and rinse with water.
6. Use a dull knife and scrape the flesh side to remove any loose membrane. This will give the flesh side a nice clean look when you are finished.
7. Spread a light coat of the pure glycerin on the flesh side and let it hang dry for 24 hours.
8. Use a damp cloth to wipe any excess residue off the skin and you're all done.

I use this method when I find a road kill snake that I can use to make into custom pens. I would never kill a snake for this purpose, but if they are already dead due to road kill, I hate to see them go to waste.

Here's a photo of a pen I made from a Copperhead skin when I found it on the road. I have a friend who found another one two days agao that he's saving for me which I will use for pens.

Thanks for this info. I think my comment still stands, but I didn't think it would be this simple. I assumed it was done the same as larger hides. I might give this a try myself the next time I find a dead copperhead or timber rattler.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 05-20-16, 08:19 AM   #7
Jim Smith

eminart, If you wanted to tan a snakeskin to use as a hat band or other article of clothing, then I would recommend the full tanning process with the poisonous chemicals like arsenic etc. If all you want is to display it on a wall or use in for any arts and crafts stuff like I do with pen making, then the glycerin and rubbing alcohol method works fine. It will retain its coloration and remain soft and supple for years.
Old 05-24-16, 03:33 PM   #8
Zelg

That pen looks fantastic. I'm not exactly a pen fanatic but that is a sweet pen lol. Good job.
Old 05-24-16, 08:29 PM   #9
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

@ Jim- I need a couple of those pens and some of those turtle shell hides brother.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 05-25-16, 12:24 PM   #10
Jim Smith

ElL Ziggy, Sorry for the delayed response, I've been without a computer for almost a week and just got back online. I'll PM you about the pen(s) and when I may have some more ready to sell.

Jim
Closed Thread

Tags
danger, dead, disease, taxidermy