border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > General Crocodilian Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-16, 04:42 AM   #16
PatrickT

Re: Morelets Crocodiles

Many people want such animals because they are "cool". People who own reptiles get attacked from media in germany. The reason behind this is that again and again some idiots did stuff that ruined it for evryone.

We had a taipan bite on a parking lot in Hamm. We had a monocel cobra running wild in a apartment complex, a caiman in a lake and a crocodile in a river. The media totally snapped because of this and parties here want ban reptile keeping.

Crocodiles are not lizards. I wouldnīt even classify them as reptiles since their are archosaurs and more close to birds. Their intelligence is very high and they are very fast and powerful. People want them because they look cool. How many here know a corcodile is the only animals next to horses that are able to galopping?

We have a zoo in Zella-Mehlis where they have many crocs. Including a massive Mississippi Alligator (his name is Cesar and he is 300 Kg) and a Nile Crocodile. I made a practica there for 4 weeks and as amazing it was i had enormous respect for the nile croc. The Alligator was manageable but the nile croc was plain and simple super smart and in no way trustworthy. It is not fully grown yet. Roughly 3.5 m long...but incredible fast and powerful and you could see it planning stuff. I donīt think it should be in private hands because its a desaster in the making.
Old 03-25-16, 06:42 AM   #17
MDT

And yet, there are many individuals who can and do take amazing care of large constrictors, venomous, and crocodilians. It will always be the idiots who can give a bad name to anything. Very similar to firearm ownership in America. There are those who think that only the "professionals" should own, simply because of their designation.
Either you are a responsible (fill in the blank) owner, capable of appropriate housing, husbandry, vet care, expenses, etc....or you are a DB who shouldn't own a stuffed animal, let alone a living, breathing creature.

Just my 0.02 cents...Carry on
Old 03-25-16, 07:03 AM   #18
trailblazer295

In the words of Ron tater salad White "you can't fix stupid. Locally a specific breed of dogs has been banned from the province (state, region). Similar stories the wrong people having the dog which ended up hurting people or animals. Some ruined it for the rest. Reptiles are an easy target for most.

OP I don't know anything helpful to add but post pics if you get one.
Old 03-25-16, 07:28 AM   #19
Nightflight99

@Patrick: I agree with much of what you're saying, but I strongly disagree with your conclusion. We all know that the world is full of idiots, and while that fact certainly needs to be taken into consideration, we shouldn't let those same idiots determine what we should or should not do. Also, Germany isn't unique in the fact that a small minority tends to ruin it for the masses: you can see that same pattern all over the world.

If something can be done properly and responsibly without affecting others, then there is absolutely no reason why qualified individuals shouldn't be able to do so. Like I've said before, just because the average Joe can't, doesn't mean that no one should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickT View Post
Crocodiles are not lizards. I wouldnīt even classify them as reptiles since their are archosaurs and more close to birds. Their intelligence is very high and they are very fast and powerful. People want them because they look cool. How many here know a corcodile is the only animals next to horses that are able to galopping?
As a biologist, I cannot possibly ignore that statement. Its actually the other way around: there are a lot of systematists who consider birds to be avian reptiles, because they are archosaurs and are most closely related to crocodilians. The fact that crocodilians are reptiles is heavily supported by tons of data, and there is absolutely no debate about that part among practicing systematists.

It may also be just a tad bit presumptuous to speculate on what other people here may not know.

55.59.7 squamates, 1.1 Canis lupus, and 0.1 Homo sapiens.
Old 03-25-16, 02:39 PM   #20
PatrickT

sorry but i just stated what i think about this.

Anyone who wants own such an animal should work with them for a couple of weeks minimum. Same counts for venomous snakes and large constrictors.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-25-16, 04:17 PM   #21
Nightflight99

Quote:
sorry but i just stated what i think about this.
Ditto.

Quote:
Anyone who wants own such an animal should work with them for a couple of weeks minimum. Same counts for venomous snakes and large constrictors.
Agreed, but that statement is quite different from your earlier assessments of "i dont think this should be kept as pets" and "i highly doubt that a massive reticulated python should be kept as private pet as well."

Old 03-25-16, 05:05 PM   #22
PatrickT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflight99 View Post
Ditto.

Agreed, but that statement is quite different from your earlier assessments of "i dont think this should be kept as pets" and "i highly doubt that a massive reticulated python should be kept as private pet as well."
well thats what i think. i think its a desaster in the making in many cases.
Old 03-25-16, 05:26 PM   #23
Nightflight99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtalis View Post
Gosh, I've been thinking about buying a crocodilian in the next few years, anyway, I saw this ad on Kingsnake, so tempted lol, the Camaro I've been looking at may be put off if I end up buying a pair or trio. Let me know if I have care requirements up to par, A morelets can grow 8 feet+ in length, meaning it would need a 16-24Lx8Wx?H foot enclosure? A basking spot around 120-140 f? I keep my peacock monitor at 125 f so I would assume a crocodilian would need a similar range? Food would be a mix of whole mammals/bird/fish? I'd probably do 50% rats/guinea pigs/rabbits/ 25% various whole fish/25% and the last bit would be a mix of mazuri croc diet, birds (like quail and chickens), insects maybe? What substrate would be suitable, I would think a sand/soil mix would work well? What else should I think about before buying a crocodilian? I would think that a second person should always be around when you deal with a croc over 4 feet in length? Sorry there is not much info on these guys that I can find I have quite a few friends in the reptile community so I'll always be able to have a second or third person around. My final question is how is the temperament of these guys, how are they as a first crocodilian, I've heard that cuviars caiman are a poor choice for a first because of their high aggression. If this is a poor choice for a first crocodilian what species is better? I live in Texas so American alligators are out of the question, I've seen a few spectacled caimans for sale but I've heard that they generally become more aggressive as they age.
Just to get back on topic: Your estimated enclosure size is adequate for an adult specimen. Basically, you'd want a very large room, small building, or an appropriate outdoor enclosure. Crocodilians are usually not very picky about substrate, and a lot of keepers use bare concrete because it is easier to maintain. I've always used a combination of gardening soil, mulch, and wood chips for the land areas. The diet you mentioned would work just fine--I've used a combination of Mazuri, rodents, and raw chicken/fish/beef, which is the same diet that is implemented by a lot of zoos.

As far as the temperament is concerned, it varies greatly. A lot of crocodiles are easier to manage than similar-sized caimans, but once they reach about 5-6 ft, they all have to be treated using similar protocols, which means largely hands-off. There are a few species that are known to be significantly more difficult than others, but Morelet's crocodiles typically tend to fall into the main category of being quite manageable.

People tend to get into keeping crocodilians by using adult size as the main criterion (for obvious reasons), although that is not always the best approach. My recommendation is to get an established juvenile of a species that is relatively easy to manage. Unfortunately, keeping American alligators (Alligator mississippiensis) is either outlawed or heavily regulated in most states, but that would be one of the top choices. The pet trade supplies a lot of caimans, including mostly spectacled caiman (Caiman crocodilus), which ironically tend to have a nasty disposition. The dwarf caimans (genus Paleosuchus) can be a better choice, but I've seen both P. trigonatus and P. palpebrosus that were as easily agitated as the cliche Caiman crocodilus. The disposition can definitely be improved by regular handling from a young age, but there are lots of caimans that never quite lose their highly defensive attitude, so you have to be prepared for the worst (and hope for the best).

Last edited by Nightflight99; 03-25-16 at 05:32 PM..
Old 03-25-16, 05:44 PM   #24
PatrickT

i heared you should avoid hard , sharb substrate because some crocs tend to damage their nose on it.
Old 03-25-16, 08:57 PM   #25
Pogie

I think those babies are really cute. I wouldn't keep one but that's me lol. But then again I'm the same person that won't ever own a huge snake either, I'm a chicken hehe.
Good luck with them, and please do keep us updated! I want to see them grow
Login to remove ads
Old 03-25-16, 11:43 PM   #26
sirtalis

Thanks everyone, On the topic of what should be a "pet" my uncles neighbor had a hippo and a giraffe for years, eventually the hippo was put down bc it killed a few cattle and was too aggressive/constantly escaping etc to be kept safely, I feel that if a person has the resources to properly house, feed, care for, and have the experiance/knowledge then I think they should (legally of course) get the animal if they can provide a quality life for it then by all means get it. Thats just my opinion though. On the topic of hippos and galloping, I think hippos also gallop but im not a 100% sure

Last edited by sirtalis; 03-25-16 at 11:59 PM..
Old 03-26-16, 08:12 PM   #27
KrokadilyanGuy3

Send a message via AIM to KrokadilyanGuy3 Send a message via Yahoo to KrokadilyanGuy3

Where abouts in Texas are you? I'm near Austin.

As stated a 25x25 would be more ideal for the enclosure and probably should be the minimum. 8' would be too small when the adult animal will reach 10-14'. Females are a little smaller but morelet's are actually fairly active. Most crocodilians are, but a lot are kept in too small of enclosures and are just assumed to be lazy animals. No stimulation will cause this. A 16x8' enclosure will literally only allow the animal to spin in place. When it comes to adult crocodilians, bigger is always better.

The basking spot shouldn't really go beyond 100F and I keep mine at 95-97F for all my crocodilians. Outside Texas temps will be ideal, provided shade and cooler waters are available.

Food sounds fine. When it comes to fish, I usually just keep live fish in the enclosure and if they decide to eat them, then so be it. I don't purposely feed fish. Insects for the younger animals would be great, awesome stimulation with minimum risk to the animal.

As for the first crocodilian, there really isn't any. Alligators are pretty docile for the most part but most other crocodilians will likely be flightly when handled. Paleos are neat but they put up a huge fight though the one I just acquired you can actually hold as long as she's just sitting in your hands and you're not forcibly restraining her. My adults you'd die trying.
I've seen docile Specs but never had one that didn't want to kill me when I restrained them.
Basically, get a young one and grow with it as there is really no perfect beginner croc.

I also suspect the color will dull to a grayish color as most adult crocodilians do that are predominantly black. Even the high yellow Morelet's typically start looking like normals once they get older.

For size, a 4' croc is still manageable. The size may sound big but one person can easily deal with it.
Whatever you do, don't put a 4' crocodilian in a 2' high holding enclosure.. You'll never get it out..

I can actually handle a 7' gator that has an attitude of a dwarf on my own, but once your animal starts to get a decent size, you'll already know what you're in for and it's capabilities. I'd have a fallback for help if needed but you'll not likely need to handle the animal all that often if you build a large enough enclosure. Most of my enclosures, I can typically clean and walk around without worrying about the croc or having to handle it.

As for substrate, I'm fond of natural earthened materials. Clay, soil and so on. You can use concrete for the floor on the pond section being unless you have natural clay soil it'll be hard to keep water otherwise. A liner can work too but they're expensive and would likely get holes more often then its worth. It does work for my Dwarfs though but my specs wouldn't allow the use of it. For babies, I'm a fan of stock tanks for outdoor use. You can literally just toss water into it and use large rocks or Planks of wood or fill with dirt and use tubberware for those really small animals.

Old 03-26-16, 08:37 PM   #28
Nightflight99

Good feedback, KrokadilyanGuy3! I was hoping that you were going to post in this thread.

Old 03-26-16, 08:43 PM   #29
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
And yet, there are many individuals who can and do take amazing care of large constrictors, venomous, and crocodilians. It will always be the idiots who can give a bad name to anything. Very similar to firearm ownership in America. There are those who think that only the "professionals" should own, simply because of their designation.
Either you are a responsible (fill in the blank) owner, capable of appropriate housing, husbandry, vet care, expenses, etc....or you are a DB who shouldn't own a stuffed animal, let alone a living, breathing creature.

Just my 0.02 cents...Carry on
The only problem is most people think they are in the first group and not the latter.

Otherwise cool stuff! I sometimes wish I lived in Texas purely for the free range of keeping a lot of cool exotics but then I realize that I like my body parts too much haha.
Old 03-27-16, 03:39 AM   #30
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
The only problem is most people think they are in the first group and not the latter.
Of course..I mean, I know I am. I don't know about the rest of you bozo's.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread