border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-15, 09:20 AM   #1
hjs1700

Irritable Ball Pythons?

My once docile and sweet ball pythons have turned somewhat aggresive.
They strike at everything they can and I have to wear gloves to be able to take them out of their enclosure (I have thin blood so whenever they bite me I end up bleeding forever)

I knew the first two times they bit me it was my fault (had stupidly reached into Clyde's feeding tank to grab the rat he wasn't eating, scared him and he struck, had just handled my pet rats, didn't wash hands and handled Bonnie)

But recently I will just be having them on my bed and out hanging out and any sudden movement I do they will strike, Bonnie got stuck on me the other day because she struck at my thumb.

I don't know what the cause of this could be.... does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really nervous around them now which I know isn't good, but I hate being bitten.. not because it hurts but because its irritating.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-28-15, 05:20 PM   #2
NJHerp

Re: Irritable Ball Pythons?

Holy cow. They sound like they turned evil. My snakes all get a little wacky this time of year due to breeding season. Maybe that can be it? Has anything changed in their enclosures? In your house? Work being done?

Last edited by NJHerp; 11-28-15 at 05:25 PM..
Old 11-29-15, 06:11 AM   #3
Albert Clark

Firstly, how old are they and how often are you feeding them and what are your husbandry numbers like ? Temps and humidity and overall ambient temperature. Hides and security? All these factors play into the animals behavior. They don't just "turn evil". There is a reason just like a baby who cries. They (babies) cry for a reason and ball pythons strike out and bite for a reason. So, just start with the husbandry factors for now.
Old 01-25-16, 05:32 PM   #4
macandchz

i how old are they? i assume they are male and female by their names. could this have something to do with mating season? iread that snakes have something in their bite that causes the victim to bleed a lot but it also gives some protection against infection.
Closed Thread

Tags
aggresive