border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-16, 06:29 PM   #1
ManSlaughter33

High Humidity Plants

Hey all,

So I decided Im going to do a planted tank for my Red Bamboo Ratsnake,

What are some good plants that do well in high humidity?
Cheers
Old 01-11-16, 08:32 PM   #2
jjhill001

Re: High Humidity Plants

I would check out Josh's Frogs or Black Jungle Terrarium supplies. They have all sorts of plants. I would try and aim for ones that do best in the 70-80% ranges. Even though Bamboo rats like high humidity I don't think they care to be totally wet like Dart Frogs.
Old 01-11-16, 11:46 PM   #3
havoc_vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManSlaughter33 View Post
Hey all,

So I decided Im going to do a planted tank for my Red Bamboo Ratsnake,

What are some good plants that do well in high humidity?
Cheers
In my Red eye tree frog enclosure I have a Bird nest fern, an earth star, polkadot plant, some air parts attached to mopani wood. Pillow moss as well. I keep his humidity at about 80%
Old 01-12-16, 05:58 AM   #4
chairman

How about water hyacinth? You usually float it in a pond but I've had it grow outside water in very damp conditions.

Pothos is almost an option though I have found that even though you can keep it hydroponically, the roots rot in exceptionally wet soil.
Old 01-12-16, 11:54 AM   #5
SnoopySnake

Pothos is good. Your soil won't be soaked so it'll be fine. Creeping figs are a good choice, low light, love water, but you can't let the soil dry out. Their soil has to always be wet, and if it dries then it dies. Learned that the hard way. Bromeliads might do well as long as you don't plant them in soil, they're epiphytes (air plants) so they need more breathable medium and do best mounted on branches or backgrounds with a bit on moss around the roots. These are all plants that I've used with my rainbow boas, so can definitely hold up to the humidity.

This kind of palm plant does exceptionally well with medium/wet soil and high humidity, can take a beating, and should be easily found in the gardening section of most grocery or hardware stores.

I believe this plant is called jenny craig, its been doing exceptionally well for me so far and you should be able to find it in the gardening section as well.

Last edited by SnoopySnake; 01-12-16 at 12:00 PM..
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread