border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Heterodon

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-15, 12:00 AM   #16
trailblazer295

Re: How do you name your animals?

My sister named her cat Nahla from the lion king with a spelling change to be different. I adopted her when she moved away. I've just kept the Disney theme going. I try and pick a name that fits the animal while keeping within Disney names.
Old 12-13-15, 12:04 AM   #17
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbeats View Post
I was wondering about Guin! I figured that was the origin - I am just starting to watch that series, and I'm enjoying it so far.
I never finished the anime, but I saw a bit of it on Netlix when it was on there. I enjoyed what I watched, and liked the atmosphere of the animation and the plot.
Old 12-13-15, 01:40 AM   #18
Salty Rob

Usually ill be sitting there just starting at it and something pops in my head. That's how I get some of the names. I've also named a few after music songs or something cool I heard on tv.
Old 12-14-15, 01:10 AM   #19
pinefamily

We are a bit more adventurous with our lizards. Molly and Micky the Mertens' water monitors; the three ackies are named after the 3 Musketeers; the 2 sand monitors are named Eddie and Charlie, after 2 of our favourite players from our AFL team; and the beardies are fairly random. Nemo because she has a couple of toes missing; Brocky because he sits on his rock like the king of the mountain (google Peter Brock if you don't know); Rory because when we got him we were told it was a girl, and it was called Rosie; and Rexie, well because my wife called him sexy Rexie when we brought him home, and it stuck.
1.1 Diamond pythons, 1.1 Gammon Ranges pythons, 1.1 coastal pythons, 2.0 Murray Darling pythons, 1.1 albino Northwestern pythons, 1.0 spotted python, sand monitor, Spencers monitor, yellow spotted monitor, 1.0 leatherback bearded dragon, eastern water dragon, red spiny tailed monitor.
Old 12-20-15, 08:56 AM   #20
Eggplant

I generally add -ie to the end of their names; eg:
Plush moose: Moosie
Hognose: Snakie

Or double up: Moose-Moose, Snake-Snake

Or combo: Snakie-Snake

Also, hognoses tend to get very chunky so instead of Noodle, why not Udon?
Old 12-20-15, 10:02 AM   #21
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

I never used to be much of a name giver, this is the first time all my animals (besides my newest one) have a name. It does make it so much easier with my family and friends, they can not remember the species at all. But now they will ask me, How is Xena doing? Has Loki eaten yet?.. Which i kind of like like , it is also quite different my current collection is a whole lot smaller than my last so i spend a lot more time with each individual. So i suppose it's fun!

So far i have these names:
Renji (Super hypo Nicaragua boa)
Rukia (T+ Nicaragua boa)

Xena (Tiger Retic)
Zuko (Purple Albino retic)
Loki (Labyrinth het albino burmese)

My Genetic stripe retic het albino, is still nameless. I am trying to give him a name i find fitting, but i am having a really hard time choosing!: Hiro or Haku. ( I really like Ozai, but it sound really silly in dutch, and such a evil name isn't really fitting for the gentle little thing either)
Old 12-26-15, 09:33 AM   #22
Pogie

I just pick a name I like. Normally I just wait and a name will pop up I like to match the animal.

Right now I am liking the show Game Of Thrones so hence the names of my snakes now lol. Tyrion, Khaleesi, Cersei, and Drogo are all from the tv show

I tend to like people names more so than the normal "Fido" names, but that's for my animals. I have no problem with others naming their animal what ever they use

My neice's snake is named Noodle and yes I think it's a cute name
Old 12-26-15, 01:41 PM   #23
Piggybuns

I'm incredibly simple. I think food names are fricking ADORABLE. I had a bunny I named Bagel once, and that was about the highlight of my naming skills. XD

For now though, for my first snow, I came up with Ghost, which isn't food related. Mostly because of her pink eyes (I'm not sure if she'll keep that or not as she gets older, snow pictures aren't always clear on the eyes when adults) and that she'll be pretty white. It's a pseudo-reference to Game of Thrones' Ghost, but at the same time it's mostly because she'll be white.

It's a nice double name. .)
Old 12-26-15, 01:47 PM   #24
AlexCrazy

I try to find a name that sort of describes my pet.. i named my BP Hercules cos it sounds nice, cool and because he uses his muscle power to do things.. like eat.. stay on my arm.. etc.. i think you get the point.. I also called my red Chinese fighter fish Ruby.. cos he was super red and beautiful.. And finale my hamster.. Thomas, just cos its sound nice on him.. and sophisticated.. haha
Old 12-26-15, 07:45 PM   #25
pet_snake_78

Oddly I've never named a snake but may to try to make it more relatable to other people. My collection is still very small but growing, I'm pretty sure I'm over 50 herps now.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-27-15, 09:00 AM   #26
reptiledude987

My names come from what I think is pretty obvious. I do stick to the more obscure characters. I will never have a luke or han. 50 bonus points to anyone who gets the name refrence for my garters without using google!
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Old 12-27-15, 10:07 AM   #27
dannybgoode

Currently my 3 year old names any new additions. We have recently added Ben the kitten (female) and a boa called Auntie Rachel (after a teacher at his nursery).

For the snake in particular I would have gone for something else but hey, that's what he wants to call her.

We also have Lola the rabbit (we did have her sister Lottie also who unfortunately got taken by a fox) and two older tomcats - Slug (he looks like a big grey slug) and Gizmo...

For them the names just came. No conventions as such they just felt right for the animals.
Old 12-28-15, 12:30 PM   #28
ManSlaughter33

I name my pets after videogame characters, rappers, or I don't name them at all. My BF has named a couple.. example, rango, and mittens -_-
Old 12-28-15, 12:56 PM   #29
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

If I can't find a name for one of mine, my mom names them! She named Horus, which started the egyptian god names for male hoggies.....she also named one of my geckos Stubbs becayse he's got a frog butt....ummmm....she named Calypso, but I no longer have her and love that name soooo, it will be recycled at some point. She also named furry critters too. =)

Sometimes names just jump out at me, sometimes I put thought into it, and sometimes I'm just stumped lol.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 01-03-16, 12:45 AM   #30
jjhill001

I give them people names because it helps anthropomorphize the snake in peoples minds. A snake named Lucy or Debbie is a lot less scary for most people.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread