border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Erycines

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-15, 10:52 AM   #1
reknirt

New Sunset Indian Sand Boa

I got my first ever snake this past Friday, a sunset eryx johnii born 7/25/15. He seems pretty chill at this point, he's a little flighty but I haven't handled him much since I just got him.

I tried feeding him a f/t pinkie last night and he nibbled it a bit and then quickly lost interest and just wanted to bury himself again. I'm assuming he's just still stressed out so I'll leave him alone for a few days and try feeding again.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-24-15, 03:13 PM   #2
reknirt

Re: New Sunset Indian Sand Boa

Update:

I fed him last night. The breeder told me to try putting him in the deli cup that he came in with the pinkie and leave him alone. I set up a surveillance camera on his tank and he ate the pinkie within a minute or two.

I'll post pictures in the near future after he gets acclimated a bit more.
Old 11-25-15, 01:54 PM   #3
reptiledude987

Good stuff glad to hear hes eating well for you.
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Old 11-25-15, 02:25 PM   #4
Sylphie

Any pics? I'm curious about how he's looking, I never heard about sunset indian sand boas.
Old 11-25-15, 04:58 PM   #5
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Welcome and best wishes. Congrats on the new addition and the successful first feed!
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 11-26-15, 11:00 AM   #6
PsychoSnake

Ah, eryx Johnii, one of my favorites! They are ideal beginner snakes with the exception of being endangered. They are very reluctant to bite, easy to keep, and tame easily with regular handling. Just be sure to give him time to get settled in and I'm sure he'll do great! I'm so jelly you have a sunset. My dad has a normal male CBB from Pakistan and we plan to breed him in the future.
Old 11-27-15, 05:21 AM   #7
pitontheprowl

Congrats on the new snake and first feeding.
Photos?
Old 11-27-15, 03:01 PM   #8
reknirt

I appreciate the replies, Im a new member so I need a couple more posts before I can post pictures.
Old 11-27-15, 03:02 PM   #9
reknirt

PsychoSnake...I had no idea they were an endangered species. I guess that means I'll need to breed mine...
Old 11-27-15, 10:34 PM   #10
PsychoSnake

Yup. They are too docile for their own good. According to Wikipedia:

"Red sand boas have many superstitious beliefs attributed to them because of their double-headed appearance, such as bringing good luck, curing AIDS, etc. Such blind faith has resulted in endangering the species, and in illegal trade in India, despite being a protected species under the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972, of India.[6]"

They are also becoming more popular pets in the U.S. So make sure you get CBB eryx johniis.

Last edited by PsychoSnake; 11-27-15 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: I can't spell!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
eryx johnii, indian sand boa, sand boa