border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Pogona Vitticeps

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-15, 06:47 PM   #1
Conner Richter

Question Sealing wood for basking spot.

If i was to build a plywood basking spot for a bearded dragon what would i want to seal the wood with?
Login to remove ads
Old 10-21-15, 03:27 AM   #2
pinefamily

Re: Sealing wood for basking spot.

Several coats of pond sealer will do the trick, although a rock would be a better option as a basking spot. Rocks hold the heat in, and provide good belly heat for your beardie while it is basking.
1.1 Diamond pythons, 1.1 Gammon Ranges pythons, 1.1 coastal pythons, 2.0 Murray Darling pythons, 1.1 albino Northwestern pythons, 1.0 spotted python, sand monitor, Spencers monitor, yellow spotted monitor, 1.0 leatherback bearded dragon, eastern water dragon, red spiny tailed monitor.
Old 10-21-15, 07:25 AM   #3
chairman

I didn't seal the plywood for my savannah monitor's basking spot and the platform is still fine after several years. I have replaced the uprights once.

I imagine that my humidity is much, much higher than yours is. And the surface temperature of my basking spot runs about 150F, probably far hotter than you run.

Pine, some people like to use 1/8" plywood sheets for basking platforms so the animal can choose to bask on top at full heat or a layer or two under the top level for basking opportunities at lower temperatures.
Old 10-22-15, 01:18 AM   #4
pinefamily

I know what you mean, Chairman. We have tile stacks in with our ackies, so they can bask at whatever temp they want.
1.1 Diamond pythons, 1.1 Gammon Ranges pythons, 1.1 coastal pythons, 2.0 Murray Darling pythons, 1.1 albino Northwestern pythons, 1.0 spotted python, sand monitor, Spencers monitor, yellow spotted monitor, 1.0 leatherback bearded dragon, eastern water dragon, red spiny tailed monitor.
Old 10-22-15, 11:41 AM   #5
murrindindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conner Richter View Post
If i was to build a plywood basking spot for a bearded dragon what would i want to seal the wood with?
Hi, a water based polyurethane varnish is suitable, use several coats, if you get the quick dry type you can complete the varnishing in one day, then leave a couple of days to dry.
The glue used in plywood is toxic, if over time the layers start to come apart it could have a detrimental effect on the lizard`s health.....
Login to remove ads
Old 10-22-15, 04:12 PM   #6
chairman

Varnish, when baked at 100F for 12-14 hours a day, has the potential to release more toxins than just the heated plywood. Anyone concerned about the potential release of toxins from plywood should avoid varnish as well. Thin layers of solid hardwoods or natural slate floor tiles would be better options. The slate would probably be the more available route.
Old 10-27-15, 01:44 PM   #7
murrindindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman View Post
Varnish, when baked at 100F for 12-14 hours a day, has the potential to release more toxins than just the heated plywood. Anyone concerned about the potential release of toxins from plywood should avoid varnish as well. Thin layers of solid hardwoods or natural slate floor tiles would be better options. The slate would probably be the more available route.
Hi, can you cite your sources that if exposed to temps around 100f (hardly "baked"?) plywood sealed with several coats of water based varnish that has been allowed to cure (dry) completely before use will release toxins that will cause health problems (not suggesting it wouldn`t, just want clarification on the amount of surface heat that it would take).
Many keepers around the world seal their reptile enclosures with varnish and paint. Thanks!
Old 10-27-15, 04:39 PM   #8
chairman

Sorry, no citations available. Also, I believe the risks associated with using either bare plywood or polyurethane-coated plywood under a basking lamp to be negligible. I was simply suggesting that a person that is concerned about what toxins may leach from plywood would also be concerned about polyurethane under the same conditions.

In terms of pure conjecture, we know that many hydrocarbons are volatile under low temperatures. We know that hydrocarbons can break down under long term exposure to low heat. All polyurethane is made from hydrocarbons, even the water based varieties. All polyurethanes degrade over time and with exposure to things like the heat created by direct sunlight (example, the polyurethane coatings on hardwood floors wear much faster under windows). I doubt that sun-heated floors get much hotter than 100F (and the affect even occurs with glass that blocks UV). Water based polyurethane is more fragile than solvent based polyurethane as evidenced by the manufacturer-provided use guidelines. So, in theory, there is the potential for harm.

I suggested that the potential for harm is greater for polyurethane than for plywood because I'm only aware of plywood containing formaldehyde whereas polyurethane contains more complex hydrocarbons capable of breaking down in to a wider variety of chemicals. Once again, conjecture, and it isn't like formaldehyde isn't nasty enough on its own.

All the safety data I've seen (mostly in the form of MSDS) suggests that only a very small portion of the population with high sensitivity to low level exposure will have any adverse effects to either product. And the effects I've seen listed looked minor for the most part. Add in anecdotal evidence that using the products yields no averse impacts... I don't see any problem using plywood or cured water based polyurethane.

But natural slate tiles are a good alternative for anyone that reaches a different conclusion.
Old 10-27-15, 05:30 PM   #9
pinefamily

That's why we have always sealed anything with pond sealer.
Old 10-27-15, 05:35 PM   #10
murrindindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman View Post
Sorry, no citations available. Also, I believe the risks associated with using either bare plywood or polyurethane-coated plywood under a basking lamp to be negligible. I was simply suggesting that a person that is concerned about what toxins may leach from plywood would also be concerned about polyurethane under the same conditions.

In terms of pure conjecture, we know that many hydrocarbons are volatile under low temperatures. We know that hydrocarbons can break down under long term exposure to low heat. All polyurethane is made from hydrocarbons, even the water based varieties. All polyurethanes degrade over time and with exposure to things like the heat created by direct sunlight (example, the polyurethane coatings on hardwood floors wear much faster under windows). I doubt that sun-heated floors get much hotter than 100F (and the affect even occurs with glass that blocks UV). Water based polyurethane is more fragile than solvent based polyurethane as evidenced by the manufacturer-provided use guidelines. So, in theory, there is the potential for harm.

I suggested that the potential for harm is greater for polyurethane than for plywood because I'm only aware of plywood containing formaldehyde whereas polyurethane contains more complex hydrocarbons capable of breaking down in to a wider variety of chemicals. Once again, conjecture, and it isn't like formaldehyde isn't nasty enough on its own.

All the safety data I've seen (mostly in the form of MSDS) suggests that only a very small portion of the population with high sensitivity to low level exposure will have any adverse effects to either product. And the effects I've seen listed looked minor for the most part. Add in anecdotal evidence that using the products yields no averse impacts... I don't see any problem using plywood or cured water based polyurethane.

But natural slate tiles are a good alternative for anyone that reaches a different conclusion.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I do agree that tiles/stone, etc are better alternatives as far as basking objects (retaining heat is concerned).
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
basking, seal, sealant, wood