border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-15, 05:12 PM   #1
Brylee1233

Convert Vs. Buy?

I bought a china cabinet with hopes of converting it into a snake enclosure for my BRB. Explaining the process to my mother, she told me it was going to be expensive. Yes, I know it would be an expensive project, but thinking about it now with me being just a mere youngen, having a budget, and not properly knowing all the steps I should take, or if there are must do and don't do's, I was wondering if I should just buy an enclosure or try to trek through with the china cabinet.

The enclosure I would buy would be the Exo Terra: Natural Terrarium Large/X Tall. The dimensions are 36"x18'x36" (WxDxH).

My china cabinet is all wood (duh). and I was thinking about getting it lined with plexi glass and sealing that, so i wouldn't have to deal with the wood sealant stuff… It's dimensions are about 38 inches tall 15 inches depth and 40 inches in width… (These are rough estimates).

I was wondering what your guy's opinions would be? Should I Buy or Repurpose?

Also, would the glass tank be big enough for a full grown male BRB?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-10-15, 05:22 PM   #2
reptiledude987

Re: Convert Vs. Buy?

conversion cost with lining the entire inside with plexi will be around the same cost as buying the exo terra with alot more work. the question is if you want to take on a project for the sence of accomplishment that you did it on your own. Or would you rather just get something turn key? the decision is yours at the end of the day.

I will say that the height of these enclosures will be excessive for what a brb will use. they may climb a bit but not a whole lot.
Old 07-10-15, 05:25 PM   #3
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Honestly, I'd donboth. Get an appropriate sizwd enclosure for now, and work on the cabinet a little at a time. I have a wooden wall unit that is currently our entertainment unit, but when my mom gets a new unit, I'm taking this ine, sanding it down, painting it black, sealing it, then converting it to a custom enclosure that will house multiple snakes. =)

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 07-10-15, 07:20 PM   #4
eminart

You'll probably be surprised to learn how expensive plexiglass is. Unless you're experienced with building stuff, you'll probably come out ahead just buying something. But, if you have the ability, or the ability to learn at least, making your own stuff is rewarding and CAN HAVE nicer results. But, again, it's usually at least twice as expensive as you anticipate, and four times more work.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 07-10-15, 09:25 PM   #5
Jim Smith

Another consideration to keep in mind is the future use of the enclosure, perhaps even when you move out of your mom's house. The Exo -Terra tank would be a lot more portable and much easier to fit into another house or apartment, especially if space is limited. To further save on your costs, you might be able to shop around and find a used PVC cage that will meet your needs. Just a thought...
Old 07-11-15, 07:12 PM   #6
Brylee1233

okay thank you guys for all of the advice! There is a snake show coming up soon and I'll look around there. Thank you again!!
Closed Thread

Tags
china cabinet, enclosure, exo terra