border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-15, 08:08 PM   #1
rubixcube2808

Question Looking for opinions and advice!

Hello!
I am new to reptiles and while doing some research online I happened across this forum. It seems like there is a lot of knowledge here and many different opinions as well that I thought would be great to have access to. I have started looking into getting a new friend and my best friend has two bearded dragons which lead me to decide on getting a scaly friend of my own. However, with the little bit of research I have done and the fact that my favorite reptile is the komodo dragon, I decided I would like to get a monitor lizard. I am currently leaning toward either a red or yellow ackie... Something that doesn't get huge but something that isn't too small or very aggressive is what I'm looking for. Any care guides or books would be appreciated if suggested and any other info as far as enclosures, substrates and furnishings, and temp control would be greatly appreciated. I won't be getting my new friend for a while but until then I want to make sure I do everything I can so I am completely prepared for when I do finally get him or her. Also, if anyone feel that the breed I am looking at wouldnt be a good choice for a beginner PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I do know a little bit about reptiles care because of my friends dragons, but like I said, I want to make sure I'm good to go when the time comes. Thanks for any and all help/suggestions!
Login to remove ads
Old 01-21-15, 08:11 PM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: Looking for opinions and advice!

Welcome and happy hunting! =)

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 01-21-15, 08:39 PM   #3
rubixcube2808

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 01-21-15, 09:07 PM   #4
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Welcome and best wishes cube. I'm sure some of the lizard and monitor keepers will chime in soon.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 01-22-15, 08:57 AM   #5
sharthun

Hey and Welcome! Good luck on your search!

Steve
Login to remove ads
Old 01-22-15, 09:32 AM   #6
Toothless

Welcome .

I think an ackie would be a great choice. I personally don't have one (I keep bosc monitors) but they are one of the best monitors to start out with mainly due to their small size and housing requirements.

Minimum enclosure size would be a 4 x 2 x 4 wooden box with front opening doors (fully sealed with no vents or screen). I personally feel this is too small as they are a very active species and would recommend at least a 5 x 3 x 4 (bigger is always better).
For substrate you want a sand/ soil mixture (usually top soil and play sand), firmly packed down as if you've walked on it, and at least 12 inches deep.
A basking spot can be created using halogen flood lights (PAR38)- either one or two bulbs are needed depending on the length of the monitor. You want the basking spot to cover at least the snout to vent length. To measure the basking temperature you'll need an IR Temperature Gun to read the surface temperature. Aim for between 130-150F. The lights need to be mounted inside the enclosure.

For measuring ambient temperatures and humidity you'll need a digital thermometer and hygrometer. The lowest ambient temperature should be between 75-80F and the humidity above ground should be between 60-80%.

For furnishings it's completely up to you. Alot of people use braches/ logs, leaf litter, shelves, rocks, etc. Just make sure anything that goes into the enclosure is properly secured against movement if it's heavy enough to pose a risk of injury. These guys would be the equivalent of a bearded dragon on speed and monitors generally love to destroy enclosure decorations .
Old 01-22-15, 03:52 PM   #7
rubixcube2808

Ok. Thanks a lot! I appreciate it!
Old 01-28-15, 12:46 AM   #8
rubixcube2808

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
Welcome and best wishes cube. I'm sure some of the lizard and monitor keepers will chime in soon.
You wouldn't happen to know about how much they will need fed would you? I know hatchlings to sub adults should be fed everyday and that adults should be fed every other day (what most online care sheets I've seen say anyway) but I'm wondering exactly how much (like how many crickets/ pinkies/ any other food) they should get in one feeding... Pinkies I assume would be one and almost all care sheets I've read say the crickets or mealworms or other insects should be covered with some type of calcium/ vitamin powder?
Old 01-28-15, 12:50 AM   #9
rubixcube2808

Sorry Ziggy.... That was supposed to be a response to toothless.... Not you...
Old 01-28-15, 10:27 AM   #10
Toothless

Babies and juveniles should be fed daily as much as they want. There really is no exact number to feed as each is different. I always make sure to have a constant supply of food available when they are young (lots of crickets/ roaches in the enclosure and/ or a bowl of worms). Once they are full grown then feed according to body weight (if they look skinny, feed more and vice versa). By the time it's an adult you'll have a pretty good understanding on how much it needs to maintain a good weight. You can either feed every other day as an adult, or smaller meals daily.

Again, I don't own ackies, but I would think a young one would be able to polish off a few dozen crickets a day easily. All inverts should be lightly dusted with calcium (especially while they are growing), and if UVB is not provided they should be dusted with Calcium +D3 a few times a week. Be cautioned that it is possible to overdose on D3 as it is not water soluble so if you have a good UVB bulb in there at the correct distance there is no need to dust with D3. A multivitamin can be used every week or so.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
enclosures, feeding help, lizard help, substrate