border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-14, 02:34 PM   #1
danny22

Bought my first ball python; advice?

So i ordered a ball python hatchling online and i wanted to get the vivarium set up before my snake arrives. I've done some research but i thought it would be best to get feedback from experienced snake owners. Anyway here are my questions.

1. Since i will be getting a hatchling, should i buy a smaller tank or get one that will fit his/her full size?
2. What terrain do ball pythons like most?
3. What should i be feeding a baby ball? (size of rodent?)
4. How will i know when to start feeding my python a bigger meal?
5. For temperature, do i need a day and night light? (what temperature do they need to survive?)
6. How many times should i feed it?

P.S. I am trying to save as much money as possible, also this isnt my first snake i had a corn snake in the past too so i know how to handle beginner snakes.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-15-14, 01:34 PM   #2
fedupdon

Re: Bought my first ball python; advice?

Where do you think captive born snakes came from As far as parasites
They oh snake I e ever had was cb rat snake I e been keeping reptiles for o er 50 yrs and used to feed Wc food never had a problem used to trap mice rats sparrows
Old 10-16-14, 10:06 AM   #3
hissykisses

Hello!
I don't want to be rude or anything, but wouldn't it have been better to ask all this before you actually bought the snake? However ...
1) I keep my snakes in smaller tanks at the beginning, wait till they have grown enough and then get them a bigger (end size) tank. It's said that hatchlings feel safer in smaller enclosures, but you can also get a bigger one if you really put enough stuff in it, so there isn't too much open space. Lot's of hides and plants and stuff would make the snake feel safer. I, personally, prefer smaller enclosures at first, though.

2) Ball Pythons in the wild live in rodent or termites' nests ... that means underground more or less... The enclosure of my bp's look the same way as the enclosures of my boa and my cornsnake: aspen shavings on the ground, some branches and lot's of hides and plants.

3) My younger ball python (born this April) is fed with rat pinkies and fuzzies. It depends on how small the snake is, though. If yours is really small, you might have to start with mouse pinkies!

4) You will have to feed something bigger once it doesn't show that he just had a meal. You usually see a (small) bump after the snake has been eating. Another way is to check the way he's gaining weight. Once he doesn't seem to gain weight at the same rate as before, you have to give him bigger prey.

5) A night light won't be necessary if the temperature doesn't go below 75.2°F (24°C) during the night. The cooler side of the enclosure should be around 86°F (27°C) and the warmer side at 87.8°F (31°C)

6) I feed my little one every 5-7 days and the older bp every 7-10 days.

Saving money isn't a good thing, tho. You could also think about getting a heatpanel/heating pad but that would require a thermostat.
Old 10-16-14, 10:17 AM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny22 View Post
So i ordered a ball python hatchling online and i wanted to get the vivarium set up before my snake arrives. I've done some research but i thought it would be best to get feedback from experienced snake owners. Anyway here are my questions.

1. Since i will be getting a hatchling, should i buy a smaller tank or get one that will fit his/her full size?
2. What terrain do ball pythons like most?
3. What should i be feeding a baby ball? (size of rodent?)
4. How will i know when to start feeding my python a bigger meal?
5. For temperature, do i need a day and night light? (what temperature do they need to survive?)
6. How many times should i feed it?

P.S. I am trying to save as much money as possible, also this isnt my first snake i had a corn snake in the past too so i know how to handle beginner snakes.
It won't be as cheap as you want it to be but here you go.

1. Buy a rubbermaid/sterilite bin. Poke holes in it. Cheapest route. Use a small one until it outgrows it.
2. Paper towel/newspaper
3. Rat pups. Roughly 15 - 20 grams in size.
4. When it grows you weigh the snake and up the size to roughly 10 - 15% of the body weight.
5. Buy a heat pad. Buy a hydrofarm thermostat. Set the temperatures so the hot side reaches 92F. You will need a temp gun. Don't cheap out here.
6. Once a week.
Old 10-16-14, 11:04 AM   #5
CosmicOwl

My first piece of advice would to be to never buy an animal before you have it's housing situation sorted out. You've said that you've done research, but all of these questions are extremely basic. I'm not trying to be mean, but this is how people end up with animals they don't know how to care for.

Aaron_S is very knowledgeable about ball pythons, so you can take his advice seriously. Only thing I would add is that you don't really need to start with a small tub. It's a myth that baby snakes get stressed in large enclosures. They get stressed in large enclosures that lack hides or cover. Getting a large tub and filling it with lots of hides means that you won't end up having to buy a bunch of tubs as the snake grows. That's just my 2 cents, though.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-16-14, 01:17 PM   #6
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOwl View Post
My first piece of advice would to be to never buy an animal before you have it's housing situation sorted out. You've said that you've done research, but all of these questions are extremely basic. I'm not trying to be mean, but this is how people end up with animals they don't know how to care for.

Aaron_S is very knowledgeable about ball pythons, so you can take his advice seriously. Only thing I would add is that you don't really need to start with a small tub. It's a myth that baby snakes get stressed in large enclosures. They get stressed in large enclosures that lack hides or cover. Getting a large tub and filling it with lots of hides means that you won't end up having to buy a bunch of tubs as the snake grows. That's just my 2 cents, though.
Very good point to add. It's good advice. For me, I recommend smaller as it really helps them feel secure for eating.
Doesn't mean you can't make them feel secure in a larger tub. It's my preferred method for my babies as well as in my caresheet.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, ball, beginner, python, snake