border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-14, 06:58 PM   #1
MissMaddieMoo

Exclamation Unexpected clutch from new snakes! Help!!!

Hello,
I'm a complete noob in the snake world. I got my first corn snake from BHB in March. My parents were pissed, since they both despise snakes; but I just adore them! Anyway, a friend of mine told me that her sister had two bonded corn snakes that she needed to find a home for, or they would be left in her house once it foreclosed. Knowing that I couldn't let them die, I told her I'd take them, even though my parents nearly killed me. My friend said that these two snakes had lived together their whole lives and would sleep curled around each other. (They do, it's adorable!) So I got a 35 gallon tank and two beautiful corn snakes; A year or two old, I presume. The first night I got them, I caught them in a tail lock, but I didn't think much of it because it only lasted a minute or so (at least what I saw!) After this I tried separating them, which they both took terribly. Neither of them would eat, and they'd constantly slither around looking for one another, so... I put them back in the same tank together.
The female is a common corn snake, about 3 1/2 feet long! And the male is smaller, but not by much. He's about 2 3/4 feet, but he's much less 'thick'.
It occurred to me about a week ago that Juno (my female) might be pregnant because she was completely refusing food. She is usually a wonderful eater, but she didn't eat, and she was constantly up moving around the tank.
This morning I woke up to go check on them, and to my surprise, a HUGE slug egg laying in the dirt. I found Juno curled up with Snakespeare (my male) under their hide. I immediately put Juno into a 5 gallon aquarium with peat moss and cranked up the heat and humidity. I went out for the day and when I came home, two more slugs lay in the incubator. Currently, the humidity is at 99% and the temperature is 80 degrees F.
I'm not sure how many times they've mated, but I did everything normal (as I would, not knowing she was pregnant) up until a week ago when she stopped eating.
I'm also not exactly sure how old she is. I've heard that they need to be at least two before they can safely breed. I know my friend's sister got them from a pet store and she had them for well over a year (maybe even two.)
I really need help, because I absolutely love my girl. She rides on my arm everywhere and I want her to be safe and comfortable!

My questions:
Do you think that she has more eggs inside of her?
Is it possible for the whole clutch to be slugs?
If I ever wanted to breed her, how long after this clutch could I try breeding her again, and is she even old enough to safely breed?

If someone could answer my questions and add any additional information, I'd be so so SO grateful!

Thanks so much!
Login to remove ads
Old 07-21-14, 05:50 PM   #2
ssshane

Re: Unexpected clutch from new snakes! Help!!!

1. Yes, she could have more eggs inside, if they are 1 to 2 yrs old they are too young to be bred. Its called being egg bound, usually happens with females too young to breed

2. Yes, all the eggs could be slugs for various reasons.

3. I would wait til next season to try again, and separate the male from female as it will happen again if not. Be responsible
Old 07-21-14, 07:55 PM   #3
franks

Re: Unexpected clutch from new snakes! Help!!!

Everything Shane said.
Closed Thread

Tags
eggs, first time owner, slugs