border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-14, 05:36 PM   #1
jennuhkins

questions on Cornsnake breeding

i haven't been on this forum site in a while. my snakes (Thor & Loki) have been doing very well. until now i wasn't sure if my normal corn was a female or male but since(Thor) has a shorter tail and is pretty fatty i assume that the corn is a female. and my anery corn i seen the hemipenis pop out a couple times so I'm going to assume (Loki) is a boy. I wasn't planning on breeding, but 2 weeks ago (Loki) wouldn't eat the week after that he still wouldn't eat. so i let Thor and Loki just "hang out" and slither ( first time i ever let them near each other or any other snake), and they started mating.
so the questions i want to ask.
1. are male snakes always 100% of the time on top?
2. when they are done, is it normal yellow goo comes out of the Thor female?while s/he lifts her tail up
3. is it normal for more than just the hemipenis to come out, i seen a big pink blob come out of Loki and it took him some time to pull it all up,
also with the female is it normal to push her cloaca out?

I let them breed now once every other day, and Loki got his appetite back, but i was concerned about the questions i asked. is all that normal for corn snakes?
I bought a incubator and a thermometer just in case Thor is a girl and shes pregnant.
Old 05-21-14, 11:21 AM   #2
ashleynicole

Re: questions on Cornsnake breeding

It is my first time breeding corns as well and yes some "goo" is evidence of success. I'm not sure about all of your questions but it sounds about right. You need a sphagnum moss lay box for the female. You wAnt the moss damp and really wrung out.
2.2 corns(1.0 okatee "Salazar", 1.0 snow motley, 0.1 sunglo motley, 0.1 amelanistic normal),1.0 chocolate California king, 1.0 Mexican hognose, 1.0 Ball Python ("Ka", the old man), 1.0 bearded dragon "Toothless"
Old 06-06-14, 01:29 PM   #3
Frisky

Re: questions on Cornsnake breeding

You definitely have a pair, and yes they have definitely mated.
All the questions you ask are answered with one sentence, "everything you saw are 100% in line with mating activity".

Once they have been witnessed to have locked up together for 3 or 4 times, you can permenantly separate them, no need to put them together anymore.

Your female should lay eggs anywhere between 55 and 65 days from them having mated.

Feed the female a bit more than normal, and dust food items every third feed with Calcium.

Do not be afraid to ask questions. Good advice and answers wiil come.
Closed Thread

Tags
breeding, corn snakes, questions