border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-14, 11:33 PM   #1
JWFugle

Question calicos, do we know yet?

have they figured out the calico trait yet? i stumbled upon some pictures of them and they are just the coolest looking snakes. from what i was able to search most are wild caught and those that have captive breed ones dont know what causes it.

can they regularly produce them?

what age do they begin to morph?

does anyone have one???

found some sweet pics of them on google for ya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calico.jpg (9.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg calico2.jpg (14.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg calico3.jpg (10.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg calico 4.jpg (14.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg calico5.jpg (12.5 KB, 88 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 06-02-14, 06:23 AM   #2
jpsteele80

Re: calicos, do we know yet?

From what I know and understand of it is that it is a trait that can be reproduced but does not start showing up till it starts to reach an adult size, now this could be totally wrong but that's what I know of the calico trait
Old 06-02-14, 07:53 AM   #3
Sublimeballs

No, there still arnt any answers on the calico trait. I've heard lots of theories but its all guessing. And no one is producing them regularly. There's been a few people to produce some(tiger calico nerd), but no one has cracked it. I wish they would I want one sooooooo bad. Pretty much every single one is WC and I've seen a lot of different locales with the calico mutation.
Old 06-02-14, 07:56 AM   #4
Sublimeballs

Aubrey Pruitt has I think 2 for sale right now if you're serious about one.
Old 06-02-14, 09:27 AM   #5
Sublimeballs

And I think the third from the bottom might be a cow morph.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-02-14, 11:52 AM   #6
millertime89
Forum Moderator

There have been some freak reproductions but for the most part nobody really knows what's going on with calicos. They tend to do some funky things with the patterns in their babies. A few people (and I would tend to think this is the most valid theory) think the strange coloration comes from the chemicals in the waters around where these animals are found. You can actually bleach the color off of snakes just like you do with your hair (it's definitely not encouraged...). Makes sense since only adult calicos are ever found which would make sense since they've been exposed to the pollution in the water systems their whole lives.
Old 06-03-14, 02:01 AM   #7
JWFugle

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post
There have been some freak reproductions but for the most part nobody really knows what's going on with calicos. They tend to do some funky things with the patterns in their babies. A few people (and I would tend to think this is the most valid theory) think the strange coloration comes from the chemicals in the waters around where these animals are found. You can actually bleach the color off of snakes just like you do with your hair (it's definitely not encouraged...). Makes sense since only adult calicos are ever found which would make sense since they've been exposed to the pollution in the water systems their whole lives.

yea i noticed most images i found were WC, well thats unfortunate if thats how that happens. hope they find it to be a rare morph instead....

cuz man that is soo cool looking.
Old 06-03-14, 02:03 AM   #8
JWFugle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeballs View Post
Aubrey Pruitt has I think 2 for sale right now if you're serious about one.
haha i wish i could seriously look for one. their on my "eventual, later in life dream list" ill just enjoy the pictures of all your guys stuff for now.
Old 06-03-14, 02:08 AM   #9
JWFugle

o while i was searching i found this thread on in the BRB section. this guy sounds like a normal snake who just went calico. pretty crazy transformation!

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/epicr...offspring.html
Old 06-03-14, 11:12 AM   #10
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

i know of a breeder who sells Calico x Calico youngsters and they claim they will color up with age, won't buy one until i see one change though.
Old 06-03-14, 01:08 PM   #11
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
i know of a breeder who sells Calico x Calico youngsters and they claim they will color up with age, won't buy one until i see one change though.
I've heard this too. What supposedly happens is they have a really thick shed that smells horrible and then they start to develop color, but it's always a question mark as to whether they will or not. Like you said, I won't buy either until it's proven that they will change or it has already changed.
Old 06-03-14, 07:39 PM   #12
JWFugle

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post
I've heard this too. What supposedly happens is they have a really thick shed that smells horrible and then they start to develop color, but it's always a question mark as to whether they will or not. Like you said, I won't buy either until it's proven that they will change or it has already changed.
thats just weird... and yet awesome. whats the age at which they say they start to change? id assume it varies a lot with who you ask... :/
Old 06-03-14, 07:53 PM   #13
Kera

Send a message via Skype™ to Kera

That BRB calico thread was pretty cool, this is interesting.
Old 06-03-14, 08:16 PM   #14
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFugle View Post
thats just weird... and yet awesome. whats the age at which they say they start to change? id assume it varies a lot with who you ask... :/
Pretty much, I've heard pretty much anything up to 8 years. 4-6 seems to be the most common.
Closed Thread

Tags
breeding, calico, morphs