border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-14, 11:39 AM   #16
Mr.Saturn

Re: Breeding Beardies

It was the first one so it probably wouldn't have been a good one. I was experimenting on how I could set up the lamp and get 27.6 C for the temp and it was at first, but it was supported by a metal frame and as the frame heated up it increased the temp inside the incubator and so they cooked at 40.3 C :/ it was a stupid mistake that won't happen the next time.
Old 04-03-14, 02:41 PM   #17
Valvaren

Wait am I misunderstanding, you have your adult bearded dragons living in 20 gallon tanks?
Old 04-03-14, 10:35 PM   #18
xSerpentGoddess

Tsubaki, it wasn't aimed at you . I quoted it in the post. I can respect differing opinions but there's no reason to be outright rude.

In all honesty, I was told they were communal in the wild and seeing how they were in captivity it made sense to me. I never thought to look into it. I have and I have found sites that say both that they're communal in the wild and some that say they aren't.
Whether or not it is acquired through captive breeding, I still have seen them do way better in pairs or groups.

Mr. Saturn, The first one goes bad pretty often. Sometimes they don't even make it that long The 2nd clutch is always better.
0.2 Dumeril's Boas ~ 1.1 Jungle Carpet ~ 0.1 DiamondxJungle ~ 0.1 JunglexBredli(75/25) ~ 1.3 Kenyan Sand Boas ~ 1.2 Ball Pythons ~ 1.3 Brazilian Rainbow Boas ~ 1.0 Egyptian Uromastyx ~ Too many arachnids to get into.
Old 04-03-14, 11:18 PM   #19
Mr.Saturn

They're about a 12-15" head to tail, so they aren't that large like most adults, but age wise is consider them adults. Again, I have a 75, but at the moment, no place to put them. My female bearded dragon I know needs a larger terrarium because her favorite tree is too small for her now, half of her hangs off when she lays on it. But there's plenty of room for them to move around and hang out.
Old 04-04-14, 05:23 PM   #20
Mr.Saturn

My male is 16" and the femal is 15" head to tail. Both of them are in 20L terrariums, so the terrariums are 24" long.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-04-14, 07:39 PM   #21
Valvaren

:\ And you think that is adequate?
Old 04-04-14, 07:56 PM   #22
Mr.Saturn

No I do not, but like I've said 2 times before, I don't have room for the 75 gallon and I also made the comment that I know they need a larger terrarium because my female beardie no longer fits on her favorite tree and the larger one would hit the top of the terrarium so she needs a larger terrarium. And I know the rule of thumb is to have the length of the terrarium 2x the adult length of the reptile.
Old 04-04-14, 08:43 PM   #23
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Saturn View Post
No I do not, but like I've said 2 times before, I don't have room for the 75 gallon and I also made the comment that I know they need a larger terrarium because my female beardie no longer fits on her favorite tree and the larger one would hit the top of the terrarium so she needs a larger terrarium. And I know the rule of thumb is to have the length of the terrarium 2x the adult length of the reptile.
Thats absurd. 2 times its length? One leap and thats it? Go as big as you can, make 4 times your minimum. Humans can survive in Jail cells....closets even. Its no bueno my friend, especially for diurnal active species.
Old 04-04-14, 10:15 PM   #24
Valvaren

A 75 for two beardies? Heck 55 is what people say as the minimum for one and I find that way to small. 4x2x2 is a perfect size for one adult beardie.
Old 04-04-14, 11:16 PM   #25
Mr.Saturn

I never said it was for 2 of them. I have 1 at them moment that I got for $20.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-09-14, 12:37 PM   #26
jarich

Can I ask you a serious question Mr Saturn? Why do you want to breed them? There are already far too many of these animals being bred, to the point that they now become throw away pets sold to kids. The rescues are full of them. You have to understand that its not just a simple case of one clutch and then youre done. The females bank the male sperm and cycle repeatedly in a single season. You could easily end up with 120 or so eggs per year. In such small enclosures you risk egg stasis, and thats just one of the numerous problems that can arise with multiple cycling in females. Then the question remains, what are you going to do with these little babies when you get them? Most pet stores wont buy from individual breeders. Even if they did, youd get almost nothing for them, so money cant be a motivation. If you dont sell them right away, where are you going to put them? Since you dont have room for a single 75 gallon, how will you house dozens of growing babies? I know its fun to think about breeding reptiles, but there are more issues involved than what is fun for the keeper. Please reconsider what you are doing. I doubt you would want to be part of what would likely be a slow painful death that most of these animals go through.

Tags
bearded dragon, beardies, breeding, eggs, help requested