border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-14, 08:45 PM   #1
poomwah

Any Ohio garter snake owners?

I grew up around garter snakes in northern New Jersey.
I had lots of them over the years, I've been lucky enough to see some give birth.
I've always wanted to get back into them.
I'm in Ohio now, and they are all over my yard and shed, but obviously , I can't legally own them without a propagators license. Which are getting harder to acquire and there area many people who have had them for years who can't get theirs renewed.
So, I'm wondering, does anyone know if we are allowed to legally own garter snakes from other areas? If so, which ones?
Let's here it Ohio people :]
1.0 Rat terrier/toy for terrier mix- LOUIS, 1.0 whitesided eastern rat- George, 1.0 NJ pine barrens northern pine- Chingachgook, 0.1 Taiwan Beauty- Mei-ling, 0.1 Yellow Texas Bull- Norma Jean, 3.0 "normal" corns Fettuccine and Jager, Higgins
Login to remove ads
Old 03-07-14, 10:23 PM   #2
drumcrush

Re: Any Ohio garter snake owners?

Sup neighbor lol here in Indiana, we can't keep native garters without a fishing or hunting license (although I have one that I found during summer and am releasing it in spring) but we can buy different species(not native to indiana) that are from the outside states.

Last edited by drumcrush; 03-07-14 at 10:31 PM..
Old 03-07-14, 10:32 PM   #3
poomwah

Hi drumcrush. I was hoping it was something like that, just being particular about the species.
1.0 Rat terrier/toy for terrier mix- LOUIS, 1.0 whitesided eastern rat- George, 1.0 NJ pine barrens northern pine- Chingachgook, 0.1 Taiwan Beauty- Mei-ling, 0.1 Yellow Texas Bull- Norma Jean, 3.0 "normal" corns Fettuccine and Jager, Higgins
Old 03-07-14, 10:35 PM   #4
drumcrush

Alrighty, I could imagine you could purchase T. marcianus without any problems.
Old 03-07-14, 10:47 PM   #5
poomwah

awesome, thank drumcrush :] I'll do some research on them :]
Login to remove ads
Old 03-07-14, 11:57 PM   #6
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

I would like to point out that Indiana and Ohio have different laws. So while you may be able to keep non native species in Indiana that really has no bearing on a resident of Ohio.
Old 03-08-14, 08:16 AM   #7
robertjnovak59

I just asked a Cleveland policeman about garter snakes and he looked at me like a baboon was crawling out of my nose and walked away without saying a word. Lol. I know I'm not giving you any useful information but that look he gave me was priceless.
Old 03-08-14, 09:27 AM   #8
drumcrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
I would like to point out that Indiana and Ohio have different laws. So while you may be able to keep non native species in Indiana that really has no bearing on a resident of Ohio.
^^^^ yep, true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjnovak59 View Post
I just asked a Cleveland policeman about garter snakes and he looked at me like a baboon was crawling out of my nose and walked away without saying a word. Lol. I know I'm not giving you any useful information but that look he gave me was priceless.
Lol
Old 03-08-14, 09:28 AM   #9
drumcrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by poomwah View Post
awesome, thank drumcrush :] I'll do some research on them :]
No problem google is a mans best friend
Old 03-08-14, 09:36 AM   #10
drumcrush

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/LinkClick...3D&tabid=15493 here, this might help
Login to remove ads
Old 03-08-14, 09:40 AM   #11
poomwah

that's too funny robert
thanks for the link drumcrush
Korbin, excellent point, thank you for pointing that one out
Closed Thread