sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Pogona Vitticeps

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-13, 10:32 AM   #1
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

very skinny beardie...

my beardie has gotten severly under weight, i am feeding her lots of crickets, and greens, but i cant get roaches till end of october- i am just wondering if there is anything at home i can feed him to help him gain weight (chicken, frozen /canned veggies, or something like that?)

let me know.
Old 10-11-13, 11:32 AM   #2
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

Re: very skinny beardie...

Do you add calcium? Do the jaws still meet up perfectly? Do you use proper UV? Squash or carrots were a favorite of my beardies.
Old 10-11-13, 11:58 AM   #3
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
Do you add calcium? Do the jaws still meet up perfectly? Do you use proper UV? Squash or carrots were a favorite of my beardies.
yea, i use calsium, and hes healthy, just skinny, jaws line up, he can hunt and catch crickets perfectly, and he has uv and heat...

the back story is:
When my wife and I seperated, she had all my animals, alot of the lights and everything were on timers, so they had heat, she just didnt feel them. The snakes were okay, and i had my sully....

She wouldnt let me inthe house unless she was there, which made thing very difficult, because we did NOT get along....

***things are back to normal, and i want NO talking about how "bad" she is or anything stupid like that, my personal life was more important, and my daughters well being was number 1 at the time, i dont care what any of you say, unfortantly, my bearded dragon suffered, and now i have to try and get him back to normal*****

thanks for the help! and i will try that out!
Old 10-11-13, 02:34 PM   #4
Zoo Nanny

You may want to see if he'll eat sweet potato. It's a bit higher in calories, carbs, calcium, potassium and protien than most veggies.
Old 10-11-13, 08:26 PM   #5
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

I will try that, thanks a lot!!!!
Old 10-12-13, 12:49 PM   #6
beardeds4life

I would not feed him chicken or anything. He will gain weight by having a good diet. It might take a few months but I am sure he will get back to normal soon. You might want to order hornworms though. Those will help him gain weight and I am sure he will love you for it.
Old 10-12-13, 01:44 PM   #7
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardeds4life View Post
I would not feed him chicken or anything. He will gain weight by having a good diet. It might take a few months but I am sure he will get back to normal soon. You might want to order hornworms though. Those will help him gain weight and I am sure he will love you for it.
gotcha! i have some mustard greens, and some spaghetti squash for him now, and getting some worms or some sort for him tonight.
Old 10-12-13, 10:09 PM   #8
beardeds4life

Perfect! I would love to see some pictures. You might want to run a fecal too. If he has parasites it would do him wonders to get them removed I think. Your local vet should be able to do this for you.
Old 10-13-13, 09:34 AM   #9
lisas

Waxworms are very fattening.
Old 10-13-13, 09:40 AM   #10
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardeds4life View Post
Perfect! I would love to see some pictures. You might want to run a fecal too. If he has parasites it would do him wonders to get them removed I think. Your local vet should be able to do this for you.
i might get this done for him, but i know he just lost weight due to the family issues. he use to be very chubby. :P but i still MIGHT do one, just to be safe

and where do i get wax worms....

i have a couple pics, but i dont want to upload them because i am ashamed i let him get this bad.
Old 10-13-13, 12:25 PM   #11
Zoo Nanny

There is nothing to be ashamed of. You're doing right by him, life happens.
Old 10-13-13, 04:17 PM   #12
lisas

You can get waxworms at "Petco". You keep them in the fridge. I take mine out about half hour before so that they warm up and move around. The other day I had my bearded dragon treated for pinworms. The vet recommended these 3 supplements: calcium with D3 (bearded dragon vitamins) once per week, reptile calcium (with nothing else) dusted a bit at every feeding, and herptivite multivitamins twice per month. I got them, but if you can't, I'd been using just the "bearded dragon calcium plus" once or twice per week and she's been good for 4 1/2 yrs. She was close to death skinny when I got her at 1 1/2 because she was a rescue with metabolic bone disease. If you have a good eater, I'm sure he or she will do fine. Good luck and wishing you the best.
Old 10-14-13, 08:26 AM   #13
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Nanny View Post
There is nothing to be ashamed of. You're doing right by him, life happens.
thanks, i will post a few up later on. he ate some squash last night, and im getting some wax worms, and maybe some super worms today for him.

Quote:
You can get waxworms at "Petco". You keep them in the fridge. I take mine out about half hour before so that they warm up and move around. The other day I had my bearded dragon treated for pinworms. The vet recommended these 3 supplements: calcium with D3 (bearded dragon vitamins) once per week, reptile calcium (with nothing else) dusted a bit at every feeding, and herptivite multivitamins twice per month. I got them, but if you can't, I'd been using just the "bearded dragon calcium plus" once or twice per week and she's been good for 4 1/2 yrs. She was close to death skinny when I got her at 1 1/2 because she was a rescue with metabolic bone disease. If you have a good eater, I'm sure he or she will do fine. Good luck and wishing you the best.
Thanks for the info. like i said, i know he just lost wieght due to not being fed while the wife and I did our seperation thing...