sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Rhacodactylus

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-13, 06:03 PM   #1
arnoldosu1

Exclamation millipedes and crested geckos

Hey!

I recently adopted a crested gecko, he was 1 month old when I got him (I say him but it is really just a guess) and he is now 3 months old and just over 4 inches long. A month or so ago I made him a beautiful vivarium (well, I'm proud of it anyways; it is my first one!) and of course I used plants from an organic nursery.

Anyways, getting to my point as to be expected with organic nurseries, a few bugs were in the soil...I put most of them outside, but I have left one millipede in the vivarium. He is the lone member of the vivarium's cleaning crew lol.

At first I thought nothing of it and considered the millipede to be only a positive, but then I read something that said that geckos can die if they eat them due to certain toxins the millipedes secrete when threatened. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Are certain millipedes safe for eating?

I may remove the millipede next time I see it, but then who will I get to keep the tank clean? A bigger millipede? I don't have mold at all, so I don't think springtails would be beneficial, maybe rollie pollies?

The millipede is pretty small (1 inch maybe) so I could see my gecko eating him if he were to notice him, though he has never been exposed to any bugs as a food source before. I feed cgd exclusively as did the breeder, though I'm sure instincts take over.

A little more information: I am using a exoterra 12x12x18 and have eco earth with the potted plant's soil mixed in for substrate and cypress mulch as a top layer. I also have a drainage layer of hydroballs with mesh separating it from the soil. So any help would be appreciated, Thanks!!!

Also I want to add images but I don't think I can use the url to them as they would be to my personal computer files (I don't post pictures on social network sites and therefore don't have that type of url).
Login to remove ads
Old 09-10-13, 10:27 AM   #2
arnoldosu1

Re: millipedes and crested geckos (pictures!)

Wait...I didn't scroll down before. Now I can add Images!

However it doesn't appear people are responding...are their no vivarium enthusiasts here? Any help would be much appreciated!

pictures taken with iphone 4 so be easy on the criticism please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1912.jpg (25.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1925.jpg (22.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1855.jpg (22.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1837.jpg (23.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 09-10-13, 11:58 AM   #3
Zoo Nanny

Re: millipedes and crested geckos

African millipedes have a defense of emitting a poisonous liquid. It looks like a reddish purple ink. North American millipedes emit a noxious odor. They are eaten by native lizards and amphibians. I'm not sure if they are toxic to geckos though. I'm sure someone will come on soon that will be able to answer your question. They are nocturnal so if you try to find it look after the lights are out.
Old 09-10-13, 12:20 PM   #4
arnoldosu1

Thanks for the response and for the information zoo nanny! That is helpful I did know they were nocturnal but not that the north american millipedes may not be toxic. I hope not...someone has to help me keep the viv clean and healthy!

Although I looked up the north american millipede and it is not the same as what this one is...this one is much smaller.

Last edited by arnoldosu1; 09-10-13 at 12:25 PM..
Old 09-10-13, 02:30 PM   #5
Zoo Nanny

You should do a search to determine what type of millipede it is. There is one family polydesmida that is able to release hydrogen cyanide. That would make me concerned for the gecko.
Old 09-10-13, 05:14 PM   #6
arnoldosu1

Yeah I have been looking up which species it might be and am now on a pretty good track...there is a lack of good information on millipedes lol. I will wait until I can see him again to confirm species, but from what I have seen so far brightly colored is bad...this one isn't brightly colored so that is a good start lol.

I'm thinking it is most likely the Oxidus gracilis. Here is some info:

Garden millipede

But again just a guess at this point. It says at the end of the article that it can be toxic to things like spiders or ants but are eaten by lizards and such. Still unsure if it is this same millipede and if so, if it is dangerous for my crestie. On a side note it also said that they may be parthenogenic! So it may end up reproducing even if it is the only one!

*Also I have no ownership of rights for the picture of the millipedes (above).*

Last edited by arnoldosu1; 09-10-13 at 05:29 PM..
Closed Thread

Tags
crested, exo terra, gecko, millipede, vivarium