Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-13, 10:34 PM   #1
emilie

Send a message via Skype™ to emilie
Question New Addition

Long time no talk!
So about an hour ago I rescued this little girl - some guy a friend of mine knows got drunk and bought it/her(?) last month - don't ask me how. Anyway it found it's way to me. The thing is I've never owned a BC - I'm not sure what kind it is - I'm thinking just "regular". (I am attaching pictures) I have however owned corns and BP's - but any helpful hints would be great. Yes, I've already read the care sheet. And I am changing her substrate to paper towel tomorrow. I also was not told when her last feeding was but I do know it was a mouse. So shall I feed her a small/baby rat on Friday?
Everything you see in the pictures is exactly how she/it? came - I've made no changes.
Thanks team.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-18-13, 10:41 PM   #2
Mikoh4792

Re: New Addition

Can't know for sure by looking at it, but it looks to be a colombian boa constrictor. The heat source needs to be controlled with a thermostat that you can set a certain temperature to.I would give it a bigger enclosure, one without a screen top. Most bci need above average humidity (around 65-75%). Heat lamps and screen tops don't work well in keeping in humidity.

I would recommend using a heat mat as it is easier for your boa to lay on a hot surface on the ground than keep itself perched on that slanted log which looks a bit small for her.

I don't see a problem with feeding her a rat on Friday. However most people recommend waiting a week or two to let a snake settle in before feeding.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you should provide at least two hides. One on the warm end, and one on the cool end.
Old 08-18-13, 10:45 PM   #3
emilie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
Can't know for sure by looking at it, but it looks to be a colombian boa constrictor. The heat source needs to be controlled with a thermostat that you can set a certain temperature to.I would give it a bigger enclosure, one without a screen top. Most bci need above average humidity (around 65-75%). Heat lamps and screen tops don't work well in keeping in humidity.

I would recommend using a heat mat as it is easier for your boa to lay on a hot surface on the ground than keep itself perched on that slanted log which looks a bit small for her.

I don't see a problem with feeding her a rat on Friday. However most people recommend waiting a week or two to let a snake settle in before feeding.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you should provide at least two hides. One on the warm end, and one on the cool end.
Thanks - it shall be done.
Old 08-18-13, 10:46 PM   #4
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilie View Post
Thanks - it shall be done.
Nice looking snake by the way. If you really want to know what "type" of boa she is you could ask your friend where the snake was purchased and see if you can find out from the breeders.
Old 08-18-13, 11:06 PM   #5
charlesc84

Isn't your substrate reptibark? I use it, I find it holds humidity really well.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-18-13, 11:08 PM   #6
smy_749

Hides, he needs hides.
Old 08-19-13, 12:02 AM   #7
emilie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesc84 View Post
Isn't your substrate reptibark? I use it, I find it holds humidity really well.
I have no idea what substrate it is - I just rescued him - literally have no knowledge whatsoever.
Old 08-19-13, 08:14 AM   #8
smy_749

Its reptibark. If its a neglected snake, the substrate is probably pretty gross as well. You can put him on any number of things, not really the most important issue atm so long as its clean.

1. Lose the screen top and lamp (only advising to lose the lamp completely since the cage is really tall, and like mikoh said, he has to hang out on the measly little branch)
Replace the top with wood or plexiglass

2. Get a thermostat and an under tank heater

3. Get two hides (anything will work really) for the cold and hot sides (cheap and easy)

4. Cover some of the sides with black construction paper or something similar (cheap and easy)

Or instead of doing all of those things, just buy a ready made PVC enclosure which aren't too expensive and won't look ghetto lol
Old 08-19-13, 08:54 AM   #9
Ddub

I would avoid paper towel for substrate. It can get caught on a tooth while feeding and down goes the whole sheet which can lead to regurge and death.
Old 08-19-13, 03:00 PM   #10
emilie

Update: Thanks again for everything - did all that you said
Under tank heating, newspaper substrate, 2 hides on opposite ends of a 40g with a non mesh lid.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
boa, boa constrictor, rescue