border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-13, 04:21 PM   #16
Jules1618

Re: Black Rat snake?

I have a 2009 Leucistic Taxas Rat Snake and she is a bitch, beautiful snake though
Old 06-20-13, 04:57 PM   #17
possum

I used to keep & raise "black ratsnakes" (mostly amels) & they make good pets, though not quite as docile as corn snakes. Much of that depends on you though. And they get bigger, 6' or so, and appreciate all the space you can give them to climb or roam. I mostly kept them when I lived in the desert, and paid NO attention to humidity for them...they did just fine. A "medium rat" is WAAAAAY too much food even for a large adult ratsnake. My largest ones would eat a small (weaned) rat about every 2 weeks. Hatchlings will take large pinky/fuzzy mice...progress from there. Not sure how live plants will work out...I don't generally do that, most plants not too sturdy? The snakes don't need UV, but your plants might need more light than the snakes will appreciate? Personally I'd put some natural (waterproofed) branches diagonally in the cage...much more durable than live plants. (or construct a "jungle-gym" out of PVC) Interesting snakes, a good choice IMO. (yes to 70-85*)

Last edited by possum; 06-20-13 at 05:04 PM..
Old 06-20-13, 08:59 PM   #18
NimbleHand48

So, my husband showed me some pictures and a video of a Japanese rat snake, and they are sweet looking. We did a little more research on them, and were actually thinking about getting one instead of a black rat. Any thoughts?
Old 06-20-13, 09:18 PM   #19
possum

Sorry, not familiar with Japanese ratsnakes. If you get one, we'd love to hear how it goes. (I do have Korean ratsnakes...they are similar to Russian ratsnakes but WAY more shy, hard to tame, & more racer-like.)
Old 06-21-13, 07:50 PM   #20
leper65

I have a Japanese Rat Snake and while they are bit more shy, with handling it wouldn't be a problem. Mine stays hidden when I'm in the room unless it's feeding time. They have the reputation of being good eaters, and mine lives up to that billing. He doesn't like to be watched though.

I have Black Rat Snakes around the property here and they don't seem too bad either. One yearling in my garage tried to kill me. Another yearling was as tame as my corn snakes. Two LARGE adults I fished out of the neighbors community bird house were pretty civil to me. They climbed up a bare pipe 10 or 12 feet to get in that bird house so they are quite the climbers and would need a bigger viv than a Japanese Rat.

Corn Snake caresheet would be a good start for either.

Last edited by leper65; 06-21-13 at 08:04 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 06-21-13, 08:11 PM   #21
leper65

Found a care sheet and other links for Elaphe climacophora:

Japanese Rat Snake Care Sheet

A C Snakes - JAPANESE RAT SNAKE CARE SHEET - Elaphe Climacophora

Elaphe climacophora - Japanese Ratsnake - Ratsnake Foundation

Elaphe climacophora - Notes
Old 06-26-13, 02:38 AM   #22
NimbleHand48

Good stuff to know, thanks leper65. Do you have pictures of your setup?
Old 07-23-13, 05:17 PM   #23
NimbleHand48

Update: I bought a black rat snake from a guy that had one in the local ad this past saturday. $60 for the juvenile, ten gallon tank, and a lamp. Hes about 18 inches, and pretty nippy, but I expected that since hes been stressed. The guy said the last time he was fed was three weeks ago! First feeding attempt was sunday. I planned on moving him to a 30 gallon, but the heat lamp i have isnt powerful enough, so i moved him back to the ten until i can upgrade heating to flexwatt and a bigger heat lamp lampin the next couple weeks. I had an UTH, but it was melting. He finally ate today! Will be feeding again in the next couple days. He has been sexed, so we named him Loki. Im so excited! Any tips or input is welcome.
Old 07-24-13, 02:55 AM   #24
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimbleHand48 View Post
Update: I bought a black rat snake from a guy that had one in the local ad this past saturday. $60 for the juvenile, ten gallon tank, and a lamp. Hes about 18 inches, and pretty nippy, but I expected that since hes been stressed. The guy said the last time he was fed was three weeks ago! First feeding attempt was sunday. I planned on moving him to a 30 gallon, but the heat lamp i have isnt powerful enough, so i moved him back to the ten until i can upgrade heating to flexwatt and a bigger heat lamp lampin the next couple weeks. I had an UTH, but it was melting. He finally ate today! Will be feeding again in the next couple days. He has been sexed, so we named him Loki. Im so excited! Any tips or input is welcome.
Nice to know he fed. Why would your undertank heater melt? Are you controlling it with a thermostat?
Old 07-25-13, 10:08 PM   #25
NimbleHand48

No, i was not using a thermostat because i had never had problems with them melting before, but this one went all crazy after a year of working great. Anyhow, i took it back to petsmart and got a $40 credit toward stuff that isnt worth paying shipping for (feeding tongs, etc) or stuff for our other pets. Like i said, im switching to flexwatt and a hydrofarm thermostat until i can get a spyder robotics one. Overall hes doing well.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
colubrid