border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-13, 10:44 PM   #1
Cmwells90

Question Losing heat

So I've seen a lot of people recommend using an under tank heater, I also use one, however I'm not getting the heat I'd like out of it, I've got a cool side of 80 and a warm side of about 81-82. I feel like I'm losing a lot of heat out of the top because it is a 20 gal tank with screen top. Anyone know where I can get a solid top, or instructions to make my own? I'm shallow when it come to my cages so I want it to look nice, I've seen DYI's online but they don't blend well with the cage as the lid would just be wood (unstained) and Plexiglas. I like the Plexiglas idea, however I'm not sure if I can convert my screen top, or if I'll need to make a whole new one. Any advice would be great!!!
Login to remove ads
Old 07-17-13, 11:09 PM   #2
Mikoh4792

Re: Losing heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmwells90 View Post
So I've seen a lot of people recommend using an under tank heater, I also use one, however I'm not getting the heat I'd like out of it, I've got a cool side of 80 and a warm side of about 81-82. I feel like I'm losing a lot of heat out of the top because it is a 20 gal tank with screen top. Anyone know where I can get a solid top, or instructions to make my own? I'm shallow when it come to my cages so I want it to look nice, I've seen DYI's online but they don't blend well with the cage as the lid would just be wood (unstained) and Plexiglas. I like the Plexiglas idea, however I'm not sure if I can convert my screen top, or if I'll need to make a whole new one. Any advice would be great!!!
What are you measuring your temperatures with? Where exactly do you measure the temperatures with said instruments?

The screen top is definitely a factor in the heat loss, however if a heat pad running at full power can only get your hotspot to 82 degree when your coolside is 80 degrees, it is most likely a faulty heat pad. I use ultra-therms which produce very little heat and it can get my hotspot to 92F degrees(It can probably go higher, however 92 is all I need) when the cool side is 75-80F.

Are you using a thermostat?

You can cover the screen with anything. Plexi-glass or acrylic would be my choice. It is easy to drill holes into them using a power drill, so you can get a sheet of plexi-glass and drill your own ventilation holes.
Old 07-18-13, 12:20 AM   #3
Cmwells90

Currently I am using a Zoo Med Economy Analog Dual Thermometer and Humidity Gauge. I have two, one placed on the warm side at the mid point for height and one on the cool side in the middle. I've been working on getting a digital temp gauge however I'm not sure of the proper placement, I just went with the middle because I feel like it'll be the best gauge for temp.

Currently I do not have a thermostat as the recommended heat isn't being hit.

Last edited by Cmwells90; 07-18-13 at 12:45 AM..
Old 07-18-13, 12:53 AM   #4
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Currently I am using a Zoo Med Economy Analog Dual Thermometer and Humidity Gauge. I have two, one placed on the warm side at the mid point for height and one on the cool side in the middle. I've been working on getting a digital temp gauge however I'm not sure of the proper placement, I just went with the middle because I feel like it'll be the best gauge for temp.

Currently I do not have a thermostat as the recommended heat isn't being hit.
If your heat pad is not a broken one, it is most likely the case that you are getting the recommended heat, Your thermometers are probably just not reading the temperatures correctly.

You need to be reading temperatures inside the warm hide and general area around that, not the air in the middle of the enclosure.

Also I wouldn't rely on those type of thermometers, I've used them before and they are not accurate or they fail easily. I would get a heat gun or a digital thermometer with a probe.

You should always use a thermostat to control temperatures.
Old 07-18-13, 01:20 AM   #5
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoh4792 View Post
If your heat pad is not a broken one, it is most likely the case that you are getting the recommended heat, Your thermometers are probably just not reading the temperatures correctly.

You need to be reading temperatures inside the warm hide and general area around that, not the air in the middle of the enclosure.

Also I wouldn't rely on those type of thermometers, I've used them before and they are not accurate or they fail easily. I would get a heat gun or a digital thermometer with a probe.

You should always use a thermostat to control temperatures.
This^^^^^^^^^^
Login to remove ads
Old 07-18-13, 08:23 AM   #6
Kid Boa

All good info here so far. As been stated here, I would get a temp gun to see what heat you are really at. If you can afford it, get two digital thermometers and a thermostat.

I run UTH on all my tubes and have no issues reaching 90deg warm side and 80 cool side.
Old 07-18-13, 11:55 AM   #7
Cmwells90

Any recommendations on thermostats? I've seen a lot but they look poorly made, I just wanna make sure I'm getting a good one.
Old 07-18-13, 12:08 PM   #8
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Herpstat. End of story.
Old 07-18-13, 12:50 PM   #9
Kid Boa

Quote:
Any recommendations on thermostats? I've seen a lot but they look poorly made, I just wanna make sure I'm getting a good one.
As Korbin said, the Herpstat are the cats meow.

If you need a more cost effective one, many people have had good success with the Hydro farms.

Hydrofarm: Digital Temperature Controller for Heat Mat
Old 07-18-13, 01:38 PM   #10
ra94131

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
Herpstat. End of story.
If you can afford it, Herpstat is absolutely the way to go. Bare minimum, go with a Hydrofarm. (And if you can't afford that, you should probably rethink keeping reptiles...)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
heating issues, screen top