border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-13, 03:21 PM   #1
MoskiWoski

Coastal Carpet Questions

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I've been to a few other forums, but I was told there were quite a few people here with knowledge of Coastals. Anyway, I've done my reading, and I just want some first hand information. Anyone who owns one, or is knowledgable of them, I'd appreciate it if you answered a few questions for me.

First, growth rate. I was told these pythons can grow fairly quickly. However, the one I just purchased is a year old, and I was told was only about 18 inches. Does this sound right? I haven't gotten him yet, so I can't be certain, but this seems a little small to me. My Jungle was bigger than this at one year if I remember correctly.

If he is on the shorter side, will this be something that could effect his overall length as an adult? I know their growth rate depends on their feeding. If he was fed conservatively, and I move him to a 10 day feeding schedule, will he get on track?

Also, as a yearling, is a 10 day feeding schedule appropriate? Should I do a 7 day schedule?

Another thing, he is coming from a breeder, so he hasn't been handled regularly. Should I just dive in with handling, start adjusting him to the pet life? Or should I work him in slowly? (I know I should give him a week or so after arrival to adjust to his new surroundings. I'm referring to after that adjustment period)

I've heard these make great pets. Are they pretty laid back as adults? I have an ATB, beautiful and handleable, but you can tell she's thinking about sinking those teeth into you at any moment. She's always giving you that look, you know!? I love her, but she's more of a looker. And really, I'm the only one I want handling her, because of that shady stare. I don't want my girl getting a wrist full if serrated teeth. I want something that is more "user friendly", a family snake, if you will. So, I was told a coastal is the way to go. Can anyone confirm or deny this.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
coastal carpet python