border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > General Lizard Forum.

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-13, 11:19 AM   #1
vgorst

A Little Question for the Gecko Breeders

~ Do you find that your geckos lay in one area/lay box every clutch, or do they change spots?

~ Do the geckos usually lay both eggs in exactly the same place, close to each other or in completely different areas?

~ Finally, what do you do if you can only find 1 out of 2 eggs. Do you leave it to incubate in situ or do you just persevere with the rooting around?

The reason I ask is my vazimba laid again a couple of night ago. I've only just gotten round to digging them up, and it was laid at the opposite end of the tank (although very similar substrate conditions) and I could only find one of them. In the previous clutch she laid on the one shelf but not together (maybe 10cm or so away). I'm a little tentative about incubating in situ as the hatchling could probably get behind the background in the tank or escape, in which case he's lost.

On the plus side, the first clutch are looking healthy and fertile. I wasn't able to candle them properly but there were definite veins.

Anyway, any experiences appreciated
Login to remove ads
Old 05-10-13, 11:32 AM   #2
Cor8et

Send a message via Skype™ to Cor8et
Re: A Little Question for the Gecko Breeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgorst View Post
~ Do you find that your geckos lay in one area/lay box every clutch, or do they change spots?

~ Do the geckos usually lay both eggs in exactly the same place, close to each other or in completely different areas?

~ Finally, what do you do if you can only find 1 out of 2 eggs. Do you leave it to incubate in situ or do you just persevere with the rooting around?

The reason I ask is my vazimba laid again a couple of night ago. I've only just gotten round to digging them up, and it was laid at the opposite end of the tank (although very similar substrate conditions) and I could only find one of them. In the previous clutch she laid on the one shelf but not together (maybe 10cm or so away). I'm a little tentative about incubating in situ as the hatchling could probably get behind the background in the tank or escape, in which case he's lost.

On the plus side, the first clutch are looking healthy and fertile. I wasn't able to candle them properly but there were definite veins.

Anyway, any experiences appreciated

I made a spagnum moss box and she laid in there every time

Both next to each other

Can`t answer 3 as she`s always laid 2 at a time.

Did you find the second ? Its maybe still in her ?

After she lay`s a couple i remove them and incubate then wait for the next two.
Old 05-11-13, 05:19 AM   #3
vgorst

She has a hide with moss in, which she doesn't use for laying (she uses it as a day hide).

Did you put the moss hide in the cool end or the hot end? Currently mine is in the hot end and I think that might be the problem, in which case I'll have to move it or add another.

I haven't found the second, there are no eggs in her though. Either she's laid both in different places (wondering if I disturbed her accidently?) or she only had one to begin with.

The first clutch and the one from the second clutch are all incubating well, they're looking good so far what temperatures did you use and how long did they take to incubate at your temperatures?
Old 05-11-13, 07:23 AM   #4
Cor8et

Quote:
She has a hide with moss in, which she doesn't use for laying (she uses it as a day hide).

I think its have to do with your ambient temperature where she lay`s them.

Did you put the moss hide in the cool end or the hot end? Currently mine is in the hot end and I think that might be the problem, in which case I'll have to move it or add another.

It was 1/3 part on heat mat.

I haven't found the second, there are no eggs in her though. Either she's laid both in different places (wondering if I disturbed her accidently?) or she only had one to begin with.

Not sure if this happens, maybe another member can answer this for you.

The first clutch and the one from the second clutch are all incubating well, they're looking good so far what temperatures did you use and how long did they take to incubate at your temperatures?

Here is a link below on all you need to know. Pay close attention to marking the eggs .... I used a polystyrene box ( you`l get one from the fish mongers ) a heat mat, stat,thermometer and Perlite in a smaller plastic tub..... Note: when you`v got the eggs in incubation the humidity will build up and drops of water will drip of the lid of the plastic tub, make sure these drips don`t fall on the eggs, i put some dried out moss on top of the eggs and squeezed the moss when needed. Either male or female eggs will take longer to incubate, can`t remember though.

Here is all the info you need about temps for male or female eggs you`l be ok, there easy to do.
Albey's How To Incubate Leopard Gecko Eggs

She can also store sperm for a later date.

Good luck & can`t wait to see your wee falla`s soon

Last edited by Cor8et; 05-11-13 at 07:34 AM..
Old 05-11-13, 12:44 PM   #5
vgorst

Thanks for the link, however I've seen that incubating vazimba eggs is quite different to leo eggs. Currently I have the setup you described although using a dry soil incubation medium.

I will be saving that link though, may come in useful when I look to breed my fatties!
Login to remove ads
Old 05-11-13, 12:57 PM   #6
Cor8et

Quote:
Thanks for the link, however I've seen that incubating vazimba eggs is quite different to leo eggs. Currently I have the setup you described although using a dry soil incubation medium.

I will be saving that link though, may come in useful when I look to breed my fatties!

Sorry Vgors, i`v misread your thread, i do apologize.

Tags
eggs, vazimba gecko