border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-13, 06:43 PM   #1
Mr. Bacon

Used UTH

So, ive been setting up my tank slowly for the BRB I am getting soon. I ran a test run with the the UTH with the water bowl over it, and it seemed to get nice and humid fairly quickly which is good and an ambient temp of around 79 right in the middle of the tank. The UTH is set on 84 degrees and the other side of the tank should be in the low to mid 70s. However after a few hours the UTH fell off. It is a used UTH I got from a friend and I have read another thread about re-using them and I am planning on using some foil tape to re-attach it.
When I do so, what is the best way to do it. Should I stick it on with the remaining adhesive and tape over the entire outside? Or should I layer the adhesive side with the tape on attach it that way? Any advice would be appreciated.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-24-13, 06:30 AM   #2
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

Re: Used UTH

I'd never put any type of adhesive tape in a snakes viv.. They get caught on it and rip their own skin off trying to escape.. It's not a hotter story, it's happened many times to a lot of people...
Old 04-24-13, 07:02 AM   #3
bcr229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakey-Jay View Post
I'd never put any type of adhesive tape in a snakes viv.. They get caught on it and rip their own skin off trying to escape.. It's not a hotter story, it's happened many times to a lot of people...
The tape isn't going in the viv, the OP needs to attach a used UTH, which has lost its stickiness/adhesive, to the underside of the BRB's tank.

I'd tack the corners of the UTH with something like Loctite Glass Glue. Lowes and Home Depot carry it for about $3.00 and it's designed to withstand much higher temps than the UTH will generate.

Of course, if you glue it, good luck removing the UTH in the future.
Old 04-24-13, 07:36 AM   #4
Danimal

Lay the uth side that will touch the tank face down then stick the tape around the edges, careful not to stick the exposed parts to the table you are using. Just remember that it is important for the UTH to make full contact, so don't skimp on the tape. I use flexwatt, it is lighter and easier to get where you want it. I don't know what you have but some of those rubber pads can be heavy and flimsy.
Old 04-24-13, 11:17 AM   #5
Mr. Bacon

Well, ive been gathering things 2nd hand so I figured if I could use this itd be easiest.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-02-13, 02:48 PM   #6
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

Ah I see.. Had images of tape being used inside again.. My bad
Old 05-05-13, 10:22 AM   #7
Mark Taylor

Send a message via Skype™ to Mark Taylor

You got told mate lol.

I use duct tape sees to work for me cheap and easy and you won't have to let it dry for hours.

Tags
brb, uth