sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Eublepharis Macularius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-13, 03:47 PM   #1
Gravelanche
Banned

Breeding help

Hey i have some leopard gecko's im looking to breed this spring, one is a bubblegum albino the male is a tangerine.

i have found some good guides on the breeding process itself, what im trying to find is a good explanation of the genetics of breeding morphs in gecko's, what my odds are of getting what out of different combinations.

my understanding is that in this case i would have a chance of getting normals, a chance of getting albino's without the tangerine gene and a chance of getting tangerines without albino genes.

and would i be wrong to assume that albino genes would over-ride tangerines if combined in 1 animal? since albino is basically a lack of color it would end up being orange, but so faded it was white anyways
Login to remove ads
Old 02-21-13, 04:48 PM   #2
Gravelanche
Banned

Re: Breeding help

didnt notice there was a breeding forum, will move this there
Old 02-22-13, 11:31 AM   #3
NBLADE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelanche View Post
Hey i have some leopard gecko's im looking to breed this spring, one is a bubblegum albino the male is a tangerine.

i have found some good guides on the breeding process itself, what im trying to find is a good explanation of the genetics of breeding morphs in gecko's, what my odds are of getting what out of different combinations.

my understanding is that in this case i would have a chance of getting normals, a chance of getting albino's without the tangerine gene and a chance of getting tangerines without albino genes.

and would i be wrong to assume that albino genes would over-ride tangerines if combined in 1 animal? since albino is basically a lack of color it would end up being orange, but so faded it was white anyways
Unless your tangerine was het for one of the albino strains, you will not get any visual albinos.

Bubblegum albino is a tricky one, as they are created from 2 strains of albino, generally bell and tremper, and there is a lot of debate about them, as visually can be impossible to differentiate, and then from breeding it can muddy up everything if someone breeds it to a different strain.

But if yours is a true bubble gum, and carries both tremper albino and bell albino in homozygous form, then you will get normals and tangerines, that are all double het for both tremper and bell albino. As tangerine is line bred, some of the babies should be tangerines, but some will also be more normal.
Old 02-22-13, 12:24 PM   #4
Gravelanche
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBLADE View Post
Unless your tangerine was het for one of the albino strains, you will not get any visual albinos.

Bubblegum albino is a tricky one, as they are created from 2 strains of albino, generally bell and tremper, and there is a lot of debate about them, as visually can be impossible to differentiate, and then from breeding it can muddy up everything if someone breeds it to a different strain.

But if yours is a true bubble gum, and carries both tremper albino and bell albino in homozygous form, then you will get normals and tangerines, that are all double het for both tremper and bell albino. As tangerine is line bred, some of the babies should be tangerines, but some will also be more normal.
but i wont get any albino?
Old 02-22-13, 12:27 PM   #5
NBLADE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelanche View Post
but i wont get any albino?
Not unless your tangerine is het for one of the albino strains that your bubblegum carries. Albino is very common now. Especially tremper so its possible your tangerine my be het tremper. But wont know until you breed and find out. But if your tangerine is just a tangerine with no hets. Which you should expect it to be unless told otherwise by the breeder you got it from. Then no you wont get any visual albinos.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-22-13, 01:12 PM   #6
Gravelanche
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBLADE View Post
Not unless your tangerine is het for one of the albino strains that your bubblegum carries. Albino is very common now. Especially tremper so its possible your tangerine my be het tremper. But wont know until you breed and find out. But if your tangerine is just a tangerine with no hets. Which you should expect it to be unless told otherwise by the breeder you got it from. Then no you wont get any visual albinos.
ah ok, i feel like this is preferable, while my albino is adorable i took a major shine to the tangerine variety and am tottaly cool with more tangerines lol
Old 02-23-13, 04:54 PM   #7
beardeds4life

It is not good to breed different albinos together. All it does is muddy up the genes. Bubblegum albinos in my opinion should not be bred. There is no point. Furthermore it would be not a good thing to sell them as something that should ever be bred because then the genes get all mixed.
Old 02-23-13, 08:14 PM   #8
Gravelanche
Banned

For this year I'm not too worried about bloodlines its more of a trial run. Next year I will go for a pair of tangerines when I know more
Closed Thread