Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-12, 04:05 PM   #16
Nobodyspecial

Re: First Boa, what species to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettennatter View Post
That's true, very hard to resist. Even though, I'm normally in favor of showing the "final product", so that there are no unpleasant surprises down the road. Getting your dad's girlfriend to hold any snake would be a big step forward, IMHO.
I actually got her to pet my normal female, a huge step for someone who's not terribly fond of snakes, shes getting there slowly lol. I think she generally knows how big they'll get, its just she needs to get used to it as it grows. Kinda one of those things, you really don't notice how much they've grown until you've seen a picture of your snake when you first got it.

And yeah really hard to resist a neonate. <3 Darn things got me interested boas in the first place, haha.
1.1 pastel BP, 0.2 normal BP, 0.1 Albino BP. 1.0 Boa, 1.1 Black labs, 0.1 Springer spaniel, 1.0 golden retriever mutt, 0.1 cocker spaniel mutt, and 2.0.8 fish, of varying species. I love my babies. <3
Old 09-26-12, 04:17 PM   #17
Wildside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyspecial View Post
I actually got her to pet my normal female, a huge step for someone who's not terribly fond of snakes, shes getting there slowly lol. I think she generally knows how big they'll get, its just she needs to get used to it as it grows. Kinda one of those things, you really don't notice how much they've grown until you've seen a picture of your snake when you first got it.

And yeah really hard to resist a neonate. <3 Darn things got me interested boas in the first place, haha.

They are sooo cute with their little bulging bug eyes.
Old 09-27-12, 11:55 AM   #18
Kettennatter

just handled a hog island x BCI hybrid over lunch. It was temperamental but very manageable. I will not comment on which side was responsible for the temperament. A very beautiful snake, though.
0.2.3 Corn (2 normal/1 anery/1 anery motley/1 snow) / 0.0.1 KSB / 1.0 Yuma King / 1.0 Durango Mountain King / 0.1 BCI / 1.1 Oregon Garter / 1.0 Everglade Rat Snake / 1.0 Coastal Carpet / 0.1 Bull Snake
Old 09-27-12, 12:39 PM   #19
rmfsnakes32

I had a Hogg for over 2 years and he was great the only reason I rehomed him was my landlord at the time said I had to many snakes and at that time he was 5ft the biggest of all I had! But otherwise was an awesome snake my children played with him all the time! There wasnt a mean bone in his body. My personal opinion is it depends on how much human interaction they get! He went to a great family and they were 1st time snake owners and when I ran into them a few months back they said he was a dream to have!
Old 09-28-12, 06:56 AM   #20
Kettennatter

I've also found that there is a lot of posturing going on with many boas. It seems like they are striking, but they are falling short. My wife was a little too trusting with an adult dum, and she seemed to strike at my daughter, her hand clearly between the dum's jaws. She just laughed and her hand was unharmed. I've seen so many of these "near misses" with BCIs.

My colubrids are the opposite: They don't telegraph their intentions, strike very fast, hardly ever miss and go for the full effect.

So, while many BCIs struck at me, I've yet to get bit by one. Even tough, when handed the hog hybrid yesterday, I was a little concerned when I noticed that the person giving him to me was wearing gloves.
0.2.3 Corn (2 normal/1 anery/1 anery motley/1 snow) / 0.0.1 KSB / 1.0 Yuma King / 1.0 Durango Mountain King / 0.1 BCI / 1.1 Oregon Garter / 1.0 Everglade Rat Snake / 1.0 Coastal Carpet / 0.1 Bull Snake
Login to remove ads
Old 09-30-12, 06:46 PM   #21
filthy phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfsnakes32 View Post
I am partial to central americans or columbian red tails both have beautiful colorations and good temperments. Hope you find a new scaley friend that fits
+1
Getting a 6' male red tail myself. Mellow and STRONG
Old 10-10-12, 08:30 PM   #22
ZStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildside View Post
"NOOOOO HOGGY WILL BITEZ U... .
HAHAHA I cant get that out of my head, I'll probably go around saying it all day tomorrow and no one have a clue what I'm talking about!!
Old 10-10-12, 08:39 PM   #23
Wyldrose

Why not look into some of the larger pythons?
Like Olive pythons, they get 2 meters (6 feet) but they don't get as thick as some boas.
Woma pythons are really neat too. I'm hoping to pick up a pair one day
Old 10-12-12, 08:51 AM   #24
Trent
Snake Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldrose View Post
Why not look into some of the larger pythons?
Like Olive pythons, they get 2 meters (6 feet) but they don't get as thick as some boas.
Woma pythons are really neat too. I'm hoping to pick up a pair one day
Olive pythons get a wee bit bigger than 6 feet..lol

A few critters...
Old 10-16-12, 12:31 PM   #25
Nobodyspecial

Sorry for the delay everyone, its been a busy last couple of weeks because well my snake population doubled in the past few weeks thanks to the Boise repticon, and the breeder recommendation Wildside gave me. I did end up getting a male BCI, he's a Salmon hypo? Anyways, he seems to be settling in nicely, he's eaten for me and everything. It just amazes me how different boa's are from ball pythons, It never really occurred to me that ball pythons where so well lazy in comparison. (Don't get me wrong I still love all of my balls, but the difference is incredible!)

My only concern is he's not going in his hides at all, ever. I've had him about 2 weeks now and while he noses around at everything like I assume a boa will, when it comes to resting he seems just content chilling out along one side of his tub. His temps seem to be okay, cool side is low 80's, warm is low 90's, humidity is around 65%. Is this normal for these guys, or is he unhappy with something here?

Also I do need to post pics, as I will with my new balls too. I just can't get the little guy to hold still long enough to get a good picture. XD
1.1 pastel BP, 0.2 normal BP, 0.1 Albino BP. 1.0 Boa, 1.1 Black labs, 0.1 Springer spaniel, 1.0 golden retriever mutt, 0.1 cocker spaniel mutt, and 2.0.8 fish, of varying species. I love my babies. <3
Login to remove ads
Old 10-18-12, 10:06 AM   #26
Wildside

Sounds like he's very happy. He'll settle in but in my experience boas really don't hide all that much.
Old 10-18-12, 11:37 AM   #27
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyspecial View Post
Sorry for the delay everyone, its been a busy last couple of weeks because well my snake population doubled in the past few weeks thanks to the Boise repticon, and the breeder recommendation Wildside gave me. I did end up getting a male BCI, he's a Salmon hypo? Anyways, he seems to be settling in nicely, he's eaten for me and everything. It just amazes me how different boa's are from ball pythons, It never really occurred to me that ball pythons where so well lazy in comparison. (Don't get me wrong I still love all of my balls, but the difference is incredible!)

My only concern is he's not going in his hides at all, ever. I've had him about 2 weeks now and while he noses around at everything like I assume a boa will, when it comes to resting he seems just content chilling out along one side of his tub. His temps seem to be okay, cool side is low 80's, warm is low 90's, humidity is around 65%. Is this normal for these guys, or is he unhappy with something here?

Also I do need to post pics, as I will with my new balls too. I just can't get the little guy to hold still long enough to get a good picture. XD
Good for you. Congratulations
Old 10-18-12, 11:56 AM   #28
rmfsnakes32

Yes its normal some just dont like hides I have one that doesnt use hers at all! Congrats on getting the boa glad your happy!
Closed Thread

Tags
boa, help., hog island