Closed Thread

Old 09-27-12, 08:51 AM   #61
MoreliAddict
Twist and Shout

Re: 6-8 foot python?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildside View Post
Why don't you just get a boa?
OP probably wants to get an idea of all Pythons and all Boas in the 6-8 ft range before they make up their mind..
Old 09-27-12, 04:23 PM   #62
Skumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakey-Jay-BRB View Post
Are you joking?... No they're never going to reach anywhere near 8 feet.. Are you sure your not getting confused with blood pythons? Superficially they look similar, as in short fat bodied snakes but get longer than a royal.
while possible, that would be a really big blood as well :P

as for the OP - a carpet python sounds good for you!
Old 09-27-12, 04:32 PM   #63
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skumbo View Post
while possible, that would be a really big blood as well :P

as for the OP - a carpet python sounds good for you!
I was thinking they might be thinking of an angolan python.

6-8ft range, heavier bodied, more active than a ball python, try and find a half dwarf burmese python.
OP where are you located?
Old 09-28-12, 03:33 AM   #64
Splashstorm

Is a Carpet python only less thick than a Boa because it's a tree snake? Is a dwarf burmese python thick like a boa?
Old 09-28-12, 03:34 AM   #65
Splashstorm

(I'll be going through everyone's answer starting from the first page to sort out my thoughts and questions I have--bear with me.)
Login to remove ads
Old 09-28-12, 03:40 AM   #66
Splashstorm

Quote:
columbian (BC Imperator) over a central american.
Okay, I'm soo confused. I thought a Central american WAS a BCI? ;__; And aren't columbian boas just red tails???? And aren't red tails over my length limit??
Old 09-28-12, 03:47 AM   #67
Splashstorm

SO..... I just want a 6-8 feet snake (preferably on the larger side), thick bodied, active (do thick and active go together? It seems like they can only be one or the other..If I had to choose I'd prefer thick bodied), with a sweet disposition..

Coloring does not matter to me at all. Also, humidity and all that I'm not worried about since I believe once I get the hang of it, none of that will be hard.

U_U" I feel like finding my perfect snake breed is harder than it's supposed to be! I am currently very frustrated ._____________o !!!!!!!
Old 09-28-12, 04:29 AM   #68
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

OP I ask you this... Are you selecting the breeds your asking about based strictly on looks or photos? The reason I ask is I also wonder if you have looked into care of the different breeds? What I am getting at is that part of owning a snake is keeping it's enclosure. Some enclosures require quite a bit of effort everyday and some next to nothing but normal cleaning. The humidity requirements are different for each snake that has been bamed so far. Think about how much time you will put towards this as well as temperment.
As far as getting thick and busy?? I can't think of anything thats both. Also thick = strong so be prepared for that. I honestly think an 8' carpet would be plenty thick for you. My female JCP is long but thick enough.
She is strong enough you can feel her potential but docile and agile enough not to crush you when handling her. My female sunglow boa which is the same length will put your arm to sleep holding on when you walk/carry her. I truly feel the carpet is the est choice as a first snake. It will be nippy as a newborn which forces the beginer snake owner learn how to develope trust in a defensive snake and failure will not equal a trip to the ER. The understanding of your snakes behavior will be priceless when they are an adult. A Boa might get tempermental later in life when its big enough that an unrecognised bad time for handling could result in... Well you get the picture. Carpets have very little humidity requirements where boas need it to be contolled and monitored. Carpets are more curious and tend to venture out a bit more than Boas. The only thing I can give the Boa is feeding. Boas strike hard when they feed. Way harder than carpets. Anyway it seemed to me like you were leaning towards these 2 and I have adults of both so that's my $.02
JCP

Boa
Old 09-28-12, 05:17 AM   #69
red ink
Wandering Cricket

As above with the JCP vote...

Old 09-28-12, 05:59 AM   #70
Stewjoe

I suggest against Womas for a beginner. Most adults are placid but both my sub-adult and yearling want nothing more than to eat me, and they don't let go.
Old 09-28-12, 08:24 AM   #71
MoreliAddict
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashstorm View Post
SO..... I just want a 6-8 feet snake (preferably on the larger side), thick bodied, active (do thick and active go together? It seems like they can only be one or the other..If I had to choose I'd prefer thick bodied), with a sweet disposition..

Coloring does not matter to me at all. Also, humidity and all that I'm not worried about since I believe once I get the hang of it, none of that will be hard.

U_U" I feel like finding my perfect snake breed is harder than it's supposed to be! I am currently very frustrated ._____________o !!!!!!!
Are there any reptile expos coming your way any time soon? It'd help alot if you tried handling these different snakes in person...
Old 09-28-12, 04:35 PM   #72
Philmul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashstorm View Post
Okay, I'm soo confused. I thought a Central american WAS a BCI? ;__; And aren't columbian boas just red tails???? And aren't red tails over my length limit??
Male red tail boas are round about your limit. But all depends on what you want. I chose my ball python and my female rt boa because of their temperament and I love there colour/pattern. I looked at their care sheets and understood their requirements the size that she will grow does not bother me as I am making a bigger enclosure so plenty of room and she is already tame. by the time she is fully grown I will understand her movements and moods lol, she is female so naturally will be moody lol. I recommend rt boas any day
Old 09-28-12, 05:06 PM   #73
TragicTaste

I second visiting an expo...there is so much more to the decision making process than the internet could ever provide. Seeing/handling in person could be the extra push you need to figure it all out.
Closed Thread

Tags
beginner, docile, python