sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-11, 05:21 PM   #91
marvelfreak
Captain America

Re: retic mouth?

Can we please stop the second grade (he said, she said) Bull Sh t and try to help the guy. For your snake sake please read this it explains what Jendee was try to tell you.

This is from one of the links i posted earlier.

Mouth rot

Stomatitis
Stomatitis, or more commonly referred to as mouth rot, is pretty common among captive reptiles. It's caused by bacteria in the mouth that gets into n open wound, which causes infection within the lining of the gums, mouth, and potentially the entire digestive tract. Also known as mouth rot, this is a fairly common illness in captive snakes. Signs of mouth rot include swelling or color change in your snake's mouth and gums, gaps in the snake's mouth in regards closing his mouth, or frequent rubbing or opening its mouth.
You want to keep the bacteria in the enclosure to a minimum so to prevent infection, so make sure to regularly clean the entire enclosure, provide fresh water, and eliminate any source of injury to the mouth or the surrounding area.
Put the snake in a quarantine enclosure with paper towels and clean the mouth with a cotton swab dipped in 1% Betadine solution. Make sure that the snake doesn't swallow any of the Betadine or any infectious material by keeping his head downwards while flushing out his mouth. If the condition doesn't improve within 1 week, consult a vet.

Disclaimer: Please be aware that the advice in this article should in no way replace that of a licensed veterinarian. The methods outlined above may or may not work for your pet. If you have any concerns, you should consult a specialized reptile veterinarian.

Old 03-13-11, 08:37 PM   #92
mykee
Super Genius

Here's some great advice, and if I offend you; tough. I could care less.
It seems that there are more members here who want to candy-coat and lollypop-ify your issues and spare your feelings than tell you the truth about what you are doing.
I don't know you, nor do I want to and I don't care if I hurt your feelings. You have been given some GREAT advice yet you continue to ignore it.
If you don't like our advice or refuse to take it, why are you even here?
I am so sick and tired of hearing about little kids and adults with kid brains buying pets of any kind without a responsible bone in their bodies.

That said; there is a very good chance that your snake will die.
From that picture, he is very infected and your lack of brains, responsibility and cash may be entirely responsible for it's death.
Congratulations.
Do the responsible thing (I suppose it's a good time to start) and either take your snake to a vet or turn your snake over to someone who is financially responsible enough to properly care for it.
Old 03-14-11, 04:52 AM   #93
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

^^^ Can't beat a bit of straight talk ^^^ It is hard to say what you said without being abusive or offensive and i personally think you said it well.
Old 03-14-11, 07:52 AM   #94
scottyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykee View Post
It seems that there are more members here who want to candy-coat and lollypop-ify your issues and spare your feelings than tell you the truth about what you are doing.
I don't know you, nor do I want to and I don't care if I hurt your feelings. You have been given some GREAT advice yet you continue to ignore it.
I am so sick and tired of hearing about little kids and adults with kid brains buying pets of any kind without a responsible bone in their bodies.

From that picture, he is very infected and your lack of brains, responsibility and cash may be entirely responsible for it's death.
Congratulations.
Do the responsible thing (I suppose it's a good time to start) and either take your snake to a vet or turn your snake over to someone who is financially responsible enough to properly care for it.
well... i can take her to a vet faster than i can find a new home for her
Old 03-14-11, 09:14 AM   #95
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Mykee,

I have to commend you on having the gonads to say that. I tried saying it in my earlier post but you said it much better.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-14-11, 10:12 AM   #96
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykee View Post

Congratulations.
i agree... sorry to say it, should of just took her to the vet. when i ask these people for advice, i listen right away! maybe thats why my snakes ( all 5 of them and my beardie ) may have had perfect sheds, great heath and ate every time for me, over the last 2.5 yrs ive had them... because i listen...

as for not having the cash for vet, as stated i have 6 reptiles, and 2 dogs, and 1 dog has an ongoing bone diseases he had since birth, i wont bore you all with that, but i set aside money every week into a "vet only" account, i have around $1500 JUST FOR VET visits, its not a bad idea, and i think everyone should do this.

as for your retic, hope everything turns out well for him/her. but you should of listened to everyone at the beginning. sorry to say. $200 spent is alot better then to have to bury or get rid of a dead friend....
Old 03-14-11, 10:15 AM   #97
scottyy

after day one of hydrogen peroxide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image03142011121021.jpg (22.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 03-14-11, 11:14 AM   #98
Sapphyr

Send a message via MSN to Sapphyr Send a message via Skype™ to Sapphyr

Sorry, but I agree with Mykee 100%. Very well said and to the point.
Ryu - Adult Leopard Gecko(M)
Old 03-14-11, 01:00 PM   #99
Wolfus_305

I've been following this thread since it started and I didn't really want to get too involved.

It's one thing to ask for advice, but it's another to accept it and have things work out for the better. You seem to be taking great offence to the advice that is given, but the vast majority of these people are near experts in this field and have had many, many years of hands on experience with issues similar (if not the same) as what you are currently dealing with. The people on this forum really are just trying to help (they helped me tremendously when my first snake refused to eat for 11.5 months. they were full of ideas and a good support system.) It would be helpful if you could try to look at the situation from their point of view. You're here, a new snake owner and you're asking for advice, but when you get the advice you either argue against it or just don't take it. It's got to be frustrating for everybody here that is just trying to help you, don't you think so?

I think that the vet savings money is a great idea, even if you haven't done it up to this point now it becomes a matter of can you afford to contribute to it starting now and continuing into the future, unfortunately not from what I've read. and if you are already having problems and she is so young there will likely be more in the future (unless she goes to a new home with an owner that is more experienced already with these animals. Perhaps the new owner will even mentor you a bit so that when you are fully prepared you can think about owning a snake again)

I know how amazing and addicting snakes (all reptiles for that matter) can be and I know that it is hard to let them go once we've grown attached to them, but it has to be an unselfish choice to do what is best for the snake that cannot care for itself the way we can. I think it would be beneficial to both you and the snake if you thought about giving her to a home that has an owner that is more experienced and will be able to properly care for her/him. (I know it can be tough, believe me, i am currently going through the process of selling one of my snakes because she became too much for me to handle. it's rather upsetting to me as i have grown to quite like her, unfortunately she doesn't seem to fond of me. When i realized that she could go to a new home with somebody who would have the time and knowledge/skills to tame her down a bit, i knew that I had to find her that home because she deserves it)

Please think very carefully about the wonderful advice that you have gotten from people on this forum who have lots of hands on experience with snakes and reptiles and consider re-evaluating your situation, for your snake's benefit.

Kendra
Old 03-14-11, 08:12 PM   #100
scottyy

well fortunately her mouth looks a lot better
Login to remove ads
Old 03-14-11, 11:06 PM   #101
Sapphyr

Did you even go to the vet?... It wouldn't seem like you did. -sigh-

Good luck with your snake, I hope it lives, at least, a half way decent life... even though it deserves a lot more than half way decent. I hope it doesn't develop some other problem from lack of proper care.

And Kendra, something tells me he's not going to listen. Very good point, though, and I agree.
Old 03-15-11, 10:29 AM   #102
Wolfus_305

Thank you Sapphyr
Old 03-15-11, 10:31 AM   #103
Sapphyr

No problem.
Old 03-15-11, 01:16 PM   #104
scottyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphyr View Post
Did you even go to the vet?... It wouldn't seem like you did. -sigh-

Good luck with your snake, I hope it lives, at least, a half way decent life... even though it deserves a lot more than half way decent. I hope it doesn't develop some other problem from lack of proper care.

And Kendra, something tells me he's not going to listen. Very good point, though, and I agree.
well suppose i take her to the vet and the vet knows the peroxide would have worked but because i went to the vet he figures he should do something and gives my snake a shot, but he give her a shot that makes my snake worse and then she still dies or i have to take her back to the vet and pay for an overnight stay. and dont tell me that doesnt happen because that is exactly what happened when i took my grandmas cat to the vet once and thats the only time i have been to the vet might i add. and i figure that an exotic animal such as my snake is a little more complex than a dog or a cat so if they mess up on the cat then who knows what they would do to my snake
Old 03-15-11, 01:22 PM   #105
maitre

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyy View Post
well suppose i take her to the vet and the vet knows the peroxide would have worked but because i went to the vet he figures he should do something and gives my snake a shot, but he give her a shot that makes my snake worse and then she still dies or i have to take her back to the vet and pay for an overnight stay. and dont tell me that doesnt happen because that is exactly what happened when i took my grandmas cat to the vet once and thats the only time i have been to the vet might i add. and i figure that an exotic animal such as my snake is a little more complex than a dog or a cat so if they mess up on the cat then who knows what they would do to my snake
If your snake develops septicemia, it will die. If your snakes jaw rots off, it will die. Your retic clearly has a mouth infection. Hydrogen peroxide is effective against minor superficial damage but it will not treat an infection that has spread deep down into the gums/muscles of your snakes mouth. It likely needs a course of antibiotic shots.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread