border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-05, 10:41 PM   #1
SCReptiles

Shed skin measuring formula

I know that snakes stretch shed skins somewhat when they are dispatching them. I was wondering if there was an applicable formula that accounts for the stretching and gives a some what accurate measurement of the snake?

I have a large male northern pine snake that I have always wanted to get an accurate measurement on. Pines are such active snakes, getting them still for a measurement is almost impossible. I have always thought he was a least 7 feet. I watched him pull off a shed tonight. I immediately measured it. Without any post shed stretching, the skin was 7 feet 7 inches.
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Login to remove ads
Old 07-06-05, 11:28 PM   #2
Serpens

Send a message via MSN to Serpens
Wow! I didn't know pines got that long. Do you have any pics?

Serpens
Old 07-06-05, 11:41 PM   #3
SCReptiles

None that are recent. This one is about two years old. I am 6’3 and my over head reach is about 8’4. I have him up over my head here and he is still touching the ground. He is an amazing animal.
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Old 07-06-05, 11:43 PM   #4
Serpens

Send a message via MSN to Serpens
HAHA
Awesome....thanx for the pic

Serpens
Old 07-06-05, 11:52 PM   #5
SCReptiles

you have pines? i am 1.1 normal northerns. 1.1 southern. male is albino, female is luc. and i have 1.0 LA Line...the most endangered snake in the world. i need a black to complete my pine set. hoping to get her at Dayton this year. i prefer to collect my own, but i just don't have time to travel right now.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-07-05, 12:53 AM   #6
BOAS_N_PYTHONS

Interesting, when this thread opened saw your post and though man is that a viper or something until I read it, lol.

Now for your question would a clear plastic (acrylic) tube with a locking end on both sides work for establishing rough numbers on lenght and then just release the snake back to its cage and measure the outcome you marked on the tube work?

I figure not 100% accurate but maybe a closer estimate than just estimating without any tools.

If you do you use this idea get some photos if you can, thanks.

PS..how are there igloos in TN, lol.
Old 07-07-05, 02:28 PM   #7
rrrrr

I dont know of any formula, and I've seen anywhere from 10% to 30% or more in the few sheds I've done comparisons on. I dont know where to find it but there is a piece of software for determining the length of a snake available somewhere. Basically you take a picture of the snake with something of known length for scale in the frame, and use the mouse to plot points along the snake's body, and voila! figures out the length for you. I used it once for fun, and it seemed to work well. Sorry I cant point you right at it, but I'm sure google will find it quicker than I could.

Oh, one other thing. WOW! Now that is one badass pituophis. I'm very jealous.

Roy G
Old 07-22-05, 07:12 PM   #8
SCReptiles

got an adult female black pine at the SC show...my pine collection is complete now. =)
Old 07-25-05, 07:23 PM   #9
JimmyDavid

i believe a 20% strech is the best guess. Sometimes more or less, but if you do your math by 20% you shouldn't be very wrong about the snake's lenght. Example: a 10 foot snake will most likely shed a 12 foot skin.

wow, you are 6'3''? Quite big...