border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-02, 11:27 PM   #1
Youkai

Send a message via ICQ to Youkai Send a message via AIM to Youkai Send a message via MSN to Youkai
Breeding Clown Plecos

Panaqolus maccus

Anyone have any tips, pointers, etc....?
Login to remove ads
Old 06-20-02, 11:57 PM   #2
Shane Tesser

breeding

I believe to be honest with you, plec's are very difficult, i can't say i know for sure about clowns, but i know there are still several that have just never been done. I remember reading somewhere that it was thought to believe that migration was the missing link in breeding alot of these. But i could be wrong. I know though as im sure you are already aware they need wood in their diet. Sounds funny just saying it, lol. but this may be one of the conditioning requirements, good luck! Anyone else? s.t.
Old 06-21-02, 05:19 AM   #3
corr

I don't know about Clowns either but Plecos in general are very difficult to breed. I think Shane is right about the migration thing.

Although, I've heard that Bristlenoses can be quite easy. They are readily available and also highly sought after. They eat algae throughout their entire lives, unlike most other Plecos. They also don't get too big.

Don't forget the wood! LOL
Old 06-21-02, 09:02 AM   #4
Shane Tesser

some pics

Hey here is a pic of one of my plec's, did you know that pleco's apparnetly tastes like lobster. Im not joking, i have it in a book. Man i tell ya, i this big guy knocks over another rock in his tank....to the B.B.Q. (im kidding)
Old 06-21-02, 09:03 AM   #5
Shane Tesser

whoops

Tee hee, forgot the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pleccloseup.jpg (115.8 KB, 73 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 06-21-02, 09:04 AM   #6
Shane Tesser

another

Attached Images
File Type: jpg largeshotplec.jpg (137.3 KB, 71 views)
Old 06-22-02, 12:24 AM   #7
Youkai

Send a message via ICQ to Youkai Send a message via AIM to Youkai Send a message via MSN to Youkai
Well...

I know some of them, most of them, are really hard to breed. Clowns just happen to be one of my favorites, and I was hoping there was some information on the subject. I love bristle nose plecos too, so I might just set up a tank for a project such as that. I WOULD rather breed the clowns, but hey...the bristlenose are interesting plecos!

And yes, there's lots of wood.
Old 06-22-02, 05:50 AM   #8
corr

Just found this...

http://www.planetcatfish.com/core/index.htm
Old 06-23-02, 11:51 AM   #9
Youkai

Excellent!!

Thanks for the link. I found the clown breeding stuff. A new project for me... =D
Old 06-23-02, 02:18 PM   #10
Shane Tesser

cat link

Cool link corr, how did you find that one, its the best one ive ever seen on the subject. s.t.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-23-02, 05:09 PM   #11
corr

Planet Catfish is probably THE site for... well... catfish! There is a ton of info there. I just did a search on Clown breeding...

Glad I could be of assistance.
Old 07-20-02, 12:04 AM   #12
Simon R. Sansom

Hi Youkai,
I currently have three Panaqolus maccus in a twenty, along with four Corydoras (C. julii, C. paleatus, C. panda and C. schwarzi), three Red-Eyed tets and four Lemon tetras.
The tank is equipped with an air-driven under-gravel filter, 100 watt Ebo-Jaeger heater, flourescent lighting, live and silk plants, and drift-wood (of course).
I've had a LOT of aquariums over the years, but since getting more into herps, the aquarium hobby has kind of gotten left by the wayside. This little twenty is the only dedicated fish-aquarium I have left.
Anyway, My three P. maccus are only about 1-3/4" long at the moment so they've got a bit of growing to do yet. I'd like to try breeding them eventually (If there's a pair here). I've been trying to observe them as closely as possible in order to see if I can differentiate any sexual characteristics, but it's iffy yet, at best, although one of them seems to have more prominent spines on the body and longer tail filaments than the others. We'll have to wait and see, though. With my luck I've got three males...LOL! Maybe I'll pick up another one.
How many do you have? How big/old are they? What's your set-up like?
Cheers,
Simon

Closed Thread