sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-03, 09:54 PM   #1
HeatherRose

Send a message via MSN to HeatherRose
Post Ghost shrimp

Alright, so I'm *thinking* about getting some ghost shrimp, just all by themselves, maybe throwing a snail in there too....

I've kept them before in a community tank, but if I were to do it this time, it would be a bowl....

Questions:

1. Can I do this ? lol in a bowl.....

2. Temp isn't an issue, but water circulation would be, so can I throw in a live plant? If so what kind?

Anyway, it's just an idea I'm throwing around
Login to remove ads
Old 05-25-03, 06:44 AM   #2
corr

I think you could keep them in a bowl but I don't like the idea of keeping any aquatic creature in a vessel without any filtration or circulation. Even one of those mini UGF for goldfish bowls would be nice. A little bit of Java moss on a rock and or some hornwort would work with at least a little desk lamp or filtered daylight. IMO they fair better with some marine salt too.

I think Shane has kept (or is keeping) them so he can give you some more advice.
Old 05-25-03, 06:51 AM   #3
Shane Tesser

Im not a big fan of keeping them in a bowl either without some sort of filtration. However, Corr mentioned some really good fast growing, easy to grow plants. I would imagine that if you only kept a few, perhaps 3-5, depending on the size of the bowl, a plant like java moss might be good enough as a natural filter, and a natural oxygen source. Just leave it on the bottom floor of the tank and it will soon cover the entire bottom. That with a small water change daily should be enough to keep them healthy
Actually, if your going to do something like that...like a still water approach...perhaps go for a tall vase or something like that...and put a siamese fighting fish in with them for company....just a thought
Old 05-25-03, 07:26 AM   #4
Emily-Fisher

Send a message via MSN to Emily-Fisher
I' not too sure, Shane...I used to have tons of those ghosts and they lived with my dad's beta. The beta killed most of the shrimp in the aquarium :s So that was that! I would put two or three ghost shrimp with a couple of fancy guppies in a tall vase...that would be nice As for plants, java moss would be your best bet. The reason why you should put fancy guppies with the shrimp is because guppies need a bit of marine salt in their water and the shrimp love the marine salt too.
Old 05-25-03, 09:04 AM   #5
HeatherRose

Send a message via MSN to HeatherRose
Don't the fancy guppies need a tank with a good filter and a heater? I've kept those ...it's been ages since I've kept fish (I'm so old, I know ) so I'm a bit shady.

The bowl would be pretty large, to house the plants....

So I'm looking for hornwort or java moss, correct? The salt is a given, I've kept these before I was just wondering about the plants...

Corr can you maybe go into more detail about the UGF? How big is it, how much does it cost, etc?

Thanks a ton guys
Login to remove ads
Old 05-25-03, 11:52 AM   #6
sSNAKESs.com

I have a betta with ghost shrimps thats why i suggested it...havent had a problem yet. Guppy are also a good choice for sure...and yes they can tolerated fairly cold temperatures....62-65 degrees pops into my head for some reason...so basically as long as its not near a draft or in a cold area of the home, room temperature would be fine. Heather..im not sure when your in my area next..but if you want plants ill give them to you...i have a growth tank that is a 28 tall, filled to the top with java moss, i used it for egg laying breeders....i throw alot of it out on a reg basis as i have too much..and will give you what ever you need...just let me know

Sorry..jeff didnt sign off again! Shane
Old 05-25-03, 12:37 PM   #7
Matt_K

blah blah blah.. Free plants Free plants. I was offered Free plants by Shane a few months back, i have yet to see them to this day.. Just kidding Shane, i know, i never came around to get them.. But i will need some soon :P
Old 05-25-03, 02:03 PM   #8
corr

UGF = Under Gravel Filter. They make them now for goldfish bowls. I think you can buy them as kits (with an air pump) for 15 to 20 bucks.
Old 05-25-03, 02:11 PM   #9
Tim and Julie B
Please Email Boots

Keeping ghost shrimp? I always thought they were just feeders. That all I ever had them for. But a small tank with a bunch in it would look pretty cool. Never really thought about it before. Are they active when their not being chased by fish?
Old 05-25-03, 07:33 PM   #10
Shane Tesser

If you have the right fish..they wont chase them at all..you just have to make sure that they are of a certain size when you buy them...i have roughly 200 in one tank..not sure how many are left since i bought those about 2 years ago...and yes..extremely active..they seem to be everywhere in the tank! Always feeding constantly 24/7
Login to remove ads
Old 05-25-03, 08:02 PM   #11
Emily-Fisher

Send a message via MSN to Emily-Fisher
Wow, sounds great to watch, Shane!! To me even a gecko sleeping amazes me :P