border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-03, 10:06 PM   #1
erawtik

Fin Rot????

Iv lost about 5 fish in past 2 days all tropical fish. I noticed 1 dead fish today that was like eatin in half his head was in one place and body in another. And the one that stumbles me is i had a fish that was about 2.5-3 inches he had this tissue like crap all over him last night covering his eys. I come home from work today he is no were in tank at all and my filter is really fine i couldnt see how he could go up it unless it sucked him in peices up it. Plus a few fish have white dots which i was told was ick or whatever it is called. But the pet store told me it is fin rot. I understood it that fin rot will have white dots to. So from what i have explained is this fin rot and how can i keep it away once it is gone i just treated the water with fungus eliminator? Now im afraid to change water since this happened couple days after water change.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-14-03, 08:46 AM   #2
Darlene

Send a message via MSN to Darlene Send a message via Yahoo to Darlene
fin rot trouble

Hi there. It does sound more like ick to me but if it is true fin rot you won't get rid of it with fungus guard/eliminator. To cure fin rot you need "fish penicillin". I personally have had wonderful experience with "erythromyacin". You can get this at your local pet store. Ask for "E.M. tablets". They are very easy to use , just follow the package directions & are for many other diseases/problems as well. I recommend any serious fish keeper be familiar with them , they'll save you many heartaches ! Also , just in case it is ick , raise your temp slowly to 82 - 84 degrees for 1/2 to one week to get rid of it. You can do this simultaneously. Keep in mind when treating fish to remove any carbon & provide extra air ; even if you pump it right in without an air stone. Fish can be easily suffocated by strong medications in their water. Hope this helps ! Dar.
Old 05-14-03, 08:52 AM   #3
Darlene

Send a message via MSN to Darlene Send a message via Yahoo to Darlene
fin rot troubles - part 2

Forgot to tell you to finish your fungus treatment before starting any other. Do your water change according to the directions. If you really think there is a problem with your water & you don't have a test kit yourself then take a sample to the place you got your fish. A reputable store will test it for free. They will also tell you how to pre-treat any problems with the water before adding it at change time.
Closed Thread