border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-20, 10:31 AM   #1
Jayviator

New Kingsnake Owner!

Hello!

I just got a beautiful little b&w Cali Kingsnake just yesterday. Besides having a snake when I was a kid, this is my first snake I’ve owned. I still have yet to name him. After all my research he is a prime example of a hungry king .

He is not scared of ANYTHING, and thinks that EVERYTHING is food . He is very energetic and curious and doesn’t like to stop and rest. I took him out for the first time today, and gave him a “confidence grab”. He was not scared and did not try to run away whatsoever, and calmly allowed me to pick him up. 3 seconds later I look down at him trying to eat my hand. I let him naw at me for several minutes to see if he would figure out I’m too big. He finally realized it, let go, and moved down to my finger. Again several minutes later he gave up and tried my pinkie instead. I didn’t think he was going to figure it out anytime soon, so I dribbled some water on his head and grabbed him as he let go and put him back in his tank. After stretching his jaw back, he’s back to wondering around the tank like nothing ever happened.

The reptile shop said they feed them every weekend (it is currently Friday), which he is still eating pinkies. I’m thinking about feeding him later today, and maybe it will satisfy his hunger? I would like to fix his hunger problem while he is still little. If anyone has any advice, I’d gladly take it, or do I just have to go on expecting him to bite me everyday until he gets used to it and figures it out haha. Either way, he is still a beautiful snake!

I will try to post some good picture shortly!

Thanks,
Jared
Login to remove ads
Old 05-09-20, 02:38 PM   #2
BlackKing Nacho

Re: New Kingsnake Owner!

welcome and kingsnakes are my fav. everything you describe, indicates a very hungry snake. if he never stops and is CONSTANTLY searching, nibbling on you, hes hungry. once a week is FAR too little for a young king. they're INSANELY opportunistic hunters, and can eat several times a week(not promoting, just a fact). start feeding 2x a week until about a year old. then once a week until 3 years THEN you can go once every 2 weeks (only if you WANT to tho, you can continue to feed SMALLER prey ONCE a week. kings dont suffer from organ damage from being in frequent digestive state/I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. COLUBRIDS ARE NOT PYTHONS/BOAS). how many months is he? after about 2 months ol, id feed 2 pinkies every 3-4 days. once he can eat 3 pinks, transition to 1 fuzzy every 4-5 days. kings dont grow worth a dime up until ard 6-7 month mark. then boom: they explode.

Last edited by BlackKing Nacho; 05-09-20 at 02:57 PM..
Old 05-09-20, 07:22 PM   #3
Jayviator

Thanks for the feeding info! I felt like he could definitely feed more than once a week. Your advice will help me a lot and makes a lot of sense. I gave him one pinky yesterday. He slept good, and was out and about today. I gave him over 24 hours to digest, and since he was back to moving around today (after I accidentally woke him up), I gave him a quick handling sesh and he did GREAT. At one point, he did a test nibble, but very quickly realized it wasn’t going to work and didn’t actually bite. The rest of the time he was as calm as a cucumber and EXTREMELY gentle. Definitely stole my heart lol.

I am embarrassed to say I do not know how old he is. I was too in the moment and forgot to ask the reptile shop, and they never mentioned anything. He is exactly 2 feet long. He’s still a little guy, but definitely not the smallest baby snake in the shop.
Old 05-11-20, 02:31 PM   #4
Jayviator

Here's some photos. I still haven't picked out a name, I want to make sure it's good. My dogs name is Maverick (TopGun), so I am thinking about Iceman... (get it, because he is cold blooded?)

Old 05-11-20, 06:34 PM   #5
ClockwerkBonnet

What a cute snake!
Login to remove ads
Old 05-11-20, 08:37 PM   #6
BlackKing Nacho

very nice. hes looking about 4-5 months old. give him 3 pinks. if he eats them no problem, next feed you should start fuzzies. baby kings have fast metabolism(for a snake)and needs to eat alot and pinks are mostly water. my mbk would digest a pinkie in 24 hours. no joke.
Old 05-11-20, 09:01 PM   #7
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Nice looking kingsnake! I've kept them in the past and they're a lot of fun. They have voracious appetites and are very food driven for such a small snake. I fed my young kings every 5-7 days for their 1st year, every 7-10 days the 2nd year, and every 10-14 days as adults. If your snake can eat 2 pinkys for a couple of meals then they're most likely ready to move up to mice fuzzys. I don't feed any of my snakes more than 2 prey items for any meal. I'd rather just offer one larger prey item. Best wishes with the new addition.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 05-12-20, 12:27 PM   #8
Jayviator

Thanks everyone! I will feed him my last 3 pinkies I have for his next meal, then I will start getting fuzzies. I really appreciate the advice, I am very excited for him!
Old 05-14-20, 09:09 AM   #9
Jayviator

Update: Held him today, and he again did amazing. I am now taking him out with a snake hook initially because I know he is a hungry feller and don’t want him to bite me (I don’t care if he bites me, it doesn’t hurt, I just don’t want him to make it a habit), and even snatches at the hook in the beginning lol. But after a few minutes once I see he starts calming down I can get rid of it. After that he is amazing at handling and is extremely calm. Even when I put him back in his tank, he very slowly and gracefully slithers out of my hands. He is a cool dude. I love how much personality they have.

I guess the trick is to keep him well fed, and to get the point across that it’s not feeding time.
Closed Thread