border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-20, 11:35 AM   #1
MolurusEnectes

Switching green anaconda to ft

Looking for some tips. He’s a little over a month old. Breeder said he was pounding live rat pups. Fed him a live pup last weekend...he ate it. Took a little bit for him to go after it but he did. Turned down a ft last night. Little to no interest in it. Tried braining it as well and that didn’t work. I heard thawing it with talapia works often, gonna try that next weekend. Was wondering if anyone else had any tips? Warming it up enough, measures about 100° with a temp gun, and try the rat dance but has no effect.

Also, I’ve had him for 2 weeks now, 16 days to be exact. Only got him out once to clean his cage. Should I wait to start handling him until he takes the ft item, or go ahead and start with short handling sessions to get him use to me, maybe once or twice a week?
Login to remove ads
Old 02-03-20, 07:43 AM   #2
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Re: Switching green anaconda to ft

I woulnd't handle the animal untill it is a reliable eater, also Rat pups are generally too small of a prey for a green anaconda. Do you have experience with giants?
Old 02-03-20, 07:44 PM   #3
MolurusEnectes

Re: Switching green anaconda to ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
I woulnd't handle the animal untill it is a reliable eater, also Rat pups are generally too small of a prey for a green anaconda. Do you have experience with giants?
Yes. I’ve had a few different burms and a couple retics in the past, on top of working with numerous other retics. Was offering rat pups due to that being what the breeder was giving, and was trying to take it slow for the first feeding or 2 in new surroundings.
Closed Thread