border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-19, 10:45 AM   #1
bigjoe5434

Hatchling retic not eating

Ok I purchased a female mochino, prepaid from a breeder. Snake was born in March, havent received the snake because she still isn't taking meals. Snake is now 4 months old with no meals, will she have stunted growth?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-10-19, 11:28 AM   #2
craigafrechette

Re: Hatchling retic not eating

If she hasn't eaten in 4 months I'd be asking for a refund or a replacement animal. But that's me.
Old 07-10-19, 02:22 PM   #3
Albert Clark

I doubt whether there will be significant stunting, but I would want to know what the breeder is offering the reptile. Sounds rather atypical for a hatchling retic to not have taken a meal for 4 months. Maybe it's a husbandry issue or health issue and those two things need to be ruled out.
Old 07-10-19, 06:38 PM   #4
bigjoe5434

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
If she hasn't eaten in 4 months I'd be asking for a refund or a replacement animal. But that's me.
I mentioned I'll wait another month but if no meal by then I'm asking for a refund
Old 07-10-19, 06:40 PM   #5
bigjoe5434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
I doubt whether there will be significant stunting, but I would want to know what the breeder is offering the reptile. Sounds rather atypical for a hatchling retic to not have taken a meal for 4 months. Maybe it's a husbandry issue or health issue and those two things need to be ruled out.
I doubt husbandry issues. But I dont know what's all been offered either
Login to remove ads
Old 07-13-19, 01:15 AM   #6
Albert Clark

Well, it's great that the breeder won't release the animal until it's feeding on a regular basis. That is the right thing to do. I would still want info into what type of prey is being offered. Also, if the animal is healthy what does the breeder think is the cause of the inappetance? Maybe a "failure to thrive" ? Usually " failure to thrive" is a hatchling colubrid phenomenon and not typically seen in the giant constrictor snake population.
Old 07-13-19, 10:50 PM   #7
bigjoe5434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Well, it's great that the breeder won't release the animal until it's feeding on a regular basis. That is the right thing to do. I would still want info into what type of prey is being offered. Also, if the animal is healthy what does the breeder think is the cause of the inappetance? Maybe a "failure to thrive" ? Usually " failure to thrive" is a hatchling colubrid phenomenon and not typically seen in the giant constrictor snake population.
I agree it's best for the animal to take meals before releasing. I talked with the breeder and he offered me a different snake. I went to a reptile show today and seen some more retics he had, he let me take home a beautiful female Titanium Tiger retic which was $100 more and didnt charge me, and went an extra mile and said when the mochino female I originally pre purchased started to take meals I could get her for half the original price. Absolutely pleased and just cant complain at this point.

The Titanium tiger I got she seems a little smaller she will catch up though. She did seem a little stressed and didnt do too many tongue flicks and would stick just the tip of the tongue out. But she is settling in. I do have too large of a cage right now (3x2) but she has hides I'll keep an eye on her and see how she settles in. But I may have to get a small tub for her but we will see. Being she has the hides she may be ok.
Closed Thread