border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-19, 11:38 PM   #1
jinhomyung00

Using Predatory Snake Mites

I just ordered some predatory snake mites for my new and first snake (baby corn). I noticed the other day he had black spots on his belly and around his eyes so I did my research and found out it was mites. He is currently in a 10 gal with aspen and a couple hides, so I removed everything cleaned out with disinfecting wipes and then with wet paper towels and I let dry. He is currently inside with a water dish and paper towels. Once I receive the predatory mites can I put new aspen along with all his hides back into his tank? Please help, thank you so much!
Login to remove ads
Old 04-16-19, 06:37 AM   #2
Jim Smith

Re: Using Predatory Snake Mites

You didn't have to remove anything. You can add the bedding back in and just put a bit of the predatory mite material on a small plate in the enclosure and say good bye to the snake mites. As I mentioned, it will take the predatory mites about two weeks to finish off all the snake mites and their eggs, but you don't have to do anything, just enjoy your mite-free snake.
Old 04-16-19, 02:09 PM   #3
Jess Jones

If you don't mind me asking what kind of predatory snake mites did you buy and where did you get them ?
Old 04-16-19, 07:49 PM   #4
jinhomyung00

Ok thanks, will the predatory mites eat the mites on the actual body and eyes of my baby corn or just the ones in the rest of the tank?
Old 04-17-19, 07:28 AM   #5
Jim Smith

They should eat them all. They did on the three enclosures I used them on and I've never had any more problems with mites.
Old 04-18-19, 03:55 PM   #6
jinhomyung00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
You didn't have to remove anything. You can add the bedding back in and just put a bit of the predatory mite material on a small plate in the enclosure and say good bye to the snake mites. As I mentioned, it will take the predatory mites about two weeks to finish off all the snake mites and their eggs, but you don't have to do anything, just enjoy your mite-free snake.
Hi, they arrived today, I don't see any movement in the tube of dirt, are they that tiny or all dead?
Old 04-18-19, 06:20 PM   #7
Jim Smith

They are VERY small and light brown colored. Just sprinkle some of their bedding material in a dish and set it in your enclosure. The only time I saw the predatory mites was when they went on the from glass of my enclosures. They looked like light cream colored bits of dust, but they sure did the job.
Old 04-20-19, 07:09 PM   #8
Jess Jones

Could you please tell me what kind of predatory mites they are because there are a few different ones. Also where to purchase them.
Old 04-21-19, 06:57 AM   #9
Jim Smith

The predatory mite Hypoaspis is used to control snake mites among other pests. Great way to safety and easily get rid of snake mites without all the hassle of striping down the enclosure and waiting for the snake mite eggs to hatch.

You can order the from here. Stratiolaelaps scimitus (Hypoaspis miles) - Fungus Gnat, Thrips, Snake Mite Predator
Old 04-24-19, 06:44 AM   #10
Jess Jones

@Jim Smith Thank you very much for the info.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
mites