border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-18, 08:01 PM   #1
justgerrardz

Viper Boa Sex Identification

Hi friends!, I just got female viper boa few days ago from the trusted seller in my city. But I doubt she is real female because she have little spurs on her anal.

I read from few articles sometime they said female don't have spurs, and another said, some female have a little spurs.

What do you think?
Login to remove ads
Old 10-01-18, 05:04 PM   #2
lonewolf1253

Re: Viper Boa Sex Identification

Welcome. Some females do have little spurs. The are 3 methods to determine the sex. External palpation, Popping and probing. There are videos on You Tube on how to feel externally for the little bump which would be the *****. This is the least reliable though. Popping is dangerous in my opinion and should only be done in very young snakes. Although I still wouldn't do it. Probing is the surefire way but it must be done by someone who is experienced and the right size probe is essential. I would try to find someone who knows how to probe.
I just had my Columbian BCI probed by a worker at the shop where I bought her. She's done it thousands of times. A female, which I figured as she is 5 feet already at only 21 months. Going to be a big girl! A vet, of course, can do it if you have the money. You could get an assessment on it's health while your there. Just make sure that if you do have it probed that's it's done by someone with experience.
Old 10-02-18, 08:55 PM   #3
pet_snake_78

Re: Viper Boa Sex Identification

I'm sure there must be an exotics shop or breeders somewhere near you that can help. It's helpful to have 2 people anyway especially when you're not sure what you're doing.

How to Save Money on Reptile Supplies
Closed Thread