border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Epicrates

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-18, 01:16 AM   #16
bigsnakegirl785

Re: Another week, another snuggle buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenyx View Post
He has a hot spot that's 87 degrees.

I had been thinking of offering a fuzzie at his next feed, but there's been so much debate about how much and how often to feed and the math you're supposed to do to figure out

(1/3% X WTF^2)
Air-Speed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow

that I don't know what I'm supposed to feed anymore.

BigSnakeGirl, you seem to be very knowledgeable about Boas. May I PM you?
Sure, go ahead!

I'll also go ahead and publicly put on record...if you're basing this reply off of that post by BallBuster7653, do not get too worked up over the maths of it all. It's really not as complicated as they're trying to make it out to be, and they're vastly overestimating what their snake needs to grow and thrive. They also don't seem very experienced with the species they're trying to create this feeding regimen for, so I'd take their advice with a grain of salt.

Now, in my experience with my BRBs, they do seem to have a higher metabolism than boa constrictors, or at least a need for slightly more food. I feed the same sized meals, proportionate to their girth, just slightly more often. I like to give my BRBs meals that just barely leave a noticeable bulge, if you can pinpoint the bulge yourself but a stranger can't see it without pointing it out, it's perfect. If a stranger can tell it ate even without being told, the meal was too large...

For frequency, I do find 7-10 days to be more preferable for this species vs the 10-14 days for boa constrictors...I also maintain that until they're at least 2 years old. At that point, they're moved to a 14 day schedule, and as adults I have been advised to feed every 3-4 weeks when feeding meals roughly the same size as their girth.

Now, I do allow for the occasional larger meal, so no sweat if that happens. Just wait an extra week or two before you offer food again, and feed a smaller prey size. Feed your boa as per its individual needs, which will only come with experience. It is ok if you don't get feeding exactly 100% correct and on the dot. These guys are resilient, and as long as adjustments are being made to feeding regimens, they will bounce back from any under or overfeeding. It's when you continue to feed too much or too little over long periods of time that it becomes an issue...

I'm sure even that all looks pretty intimidating as a new owner, but just breathe and relax. Take it one step at a time, and you'll get there. In the meantime, any mistakes you make feeding won't harm your snake.
Old 05-05-18, 11:37 PM   #17
Shauna0522

Send a message via MSN to Shauna0522 Send a message via Yahoo to Shauna0522

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenyx View Post
It is a baby and currently weighs 29-30 grams. As outlined in a previous post, a lot of red flags have come up for me about the ethics of the breeding company from which I got him. I was told that he had been started on live food but they are a HUGE reptile breeder in Florida and I suspect he may not yet have been an established feeder when I got him. They told me they start all their babies on live pinkies. I thought it better to continue the live food until it was settled in and feeding consistently and then switch to f/t. I don't have a problem feeding live; I was just really surprised that such a loud noise could come out of such a tiny baby. I think I just hit the wrong emoji.
Did you happen to get jerkface from reptile city? Just curious because that's where I got my first BRB from and I had the same problem.
Old 05-06-18, 10:29 AM   #18
phenyx

No I got him from The Gourmet Rodent. They are a wholesale breeder here in central Florida. Petco carries their frozen rats and mice, but they are also a large scale reptile breeder for many pet stores. They sell snakes to the public at ReptiCon. I do not recommend buying from them - their operation is so big they can't give you specific feeding history.
Old 05-10-18, 04:20 AM   #19
Shauna0522

Send a message via MSN to Shauna0522 Send a message via Yahoo to Shauna0522

I am a newbie but I would go for the fuzzy so that he is getting a more nutritious meal big snake girl is the one that had told me to not feed pinkies if the snake is big enough for a fuzzy. I guess the more developed bones nails and fur give them more calcium and what not. I hope this was helpful.