Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-17, 05:08 AM   #1
kazz

Unhappy can my snake die ? (((

Hello.
I'am newbie. And I am an idiot (((
While I didn't have quails to feed my python I gave her a piece of chicken with bone. It was a part of wing - most upper part. It was several weeks ago. And now I can see solid part in her last third part of body.
Can she die ? ((((

Sorry that I am an idiot and sorry my English (
Login to remove ads
Old 12-31-17, 06:47 AM   #2
kazz

Re: can my snake die ? (((

Oh and happy new year guys!!
Old 12-31-17, 07:50 AM   #3
DJC Reptiles

First of all, no she probably won't die. Second, Why would you feed your Ball Python chicken? Rodents are superior in every category, especially frozen thawed rodents. Even if your feeding quail, your python might not have all the nutritional support she needs. She should be able to digest the chicken bone just fine. Ball pythons are known to eat a variety of prey in the wild. The solid part near the back of her body is probably just feces. There should be no evidence of the chicken wing by a week, let alone seven. Has your snake defecated at all in the last couple of weeks?
“The Only Difference Between Fear and Respect is Knowledge”(Daniel Jensen).
Old 12-31-17, 08:30 AM   #4
StevenL

Looking at your previous posts, it appears you may have fed a Carpet Python the chicken part. Regardless, feeding the Manus (hand) portion of a chicken wing would have little nutritional value for any python.

It appears you feed quail which any python in it's native environment would utilize as prey. Myself I have fed many different types of fowl to my snakes but it is only on rare occassions. Rats and rabbits just work to well for me in every category and it fulfills the snakes needs nutritionally.

Don't beat yourself up over this one incident. Like DJC said and I agree, your snakes digestive system took care of the chicken wing tip. The hard portion you describe is fecal matter and it should pass in due time as long as your snake wasn't in a constipated state prior to the feeding of the Manus.
Old 12-31-17, 08:50 AM   #5
kazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC Reptiles View Post
Second, Why would you feed your Ball Python chicken?
it's carpet.
in Ukraine it's too hard find snake's food.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-31-17, 09:04 AM   #6
kazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
Rats and rabbits just work to well for me in every category and it fulfills the snakes needs nutritionally.
my carpet don't eat rats at all and I was tried a piece of a hare. Don't eat.

Quote:
as long as your snake wasn't in a constipated state prior to the feeding of the Manus.
She poke every 3 weeks. She poke with white stuff (as long as I know piss) but she poke really rarely and it's a big ****.

Guys, this is chicken part she was fed

So her bowels and cloaca can stretch and push undigested bone ?

And she have shed yesterday. I wanna feed her with hare and quail . It's ok or should I wait till she poke that undigested bone ?
Old 12-31-17, 02:52 PM   #7
StevenL

A snake can breakdown and digest bone. I see it was the drumette portion. I have never fed my snake fowl parts but have seen it on YouTube and other places. How it effects a snakes bowel movement feeding it parts instead of whole prey I do not know. My experience has been whole fowl feeding only.

Your question can her vent stretch to pass undigested bone. If the bone was/is not totally digested I don't think is even plausible unless somethig is medically wrong.

Should you attempt feeding again? I never recommend feeding schedules unless I know the animal and how it is acting. Read your snake and observe it. You know it better than anyome else and let it tell you what it is needing.
Old 12-31-17, 03:04 PM   #8
kazz

I was feeding her every 5-6 days with pray 30% weight from her body weight. And she growing very fast.
Quote:
I have never fed my snake fowl parts but have seen it on YouTube and other places.
I have saw it too.
Maybe it's not an undigested bone but solid piece of **** ?
But again why and what is it if not a bone ? ?
Quote:
If the bone was/is not totally digested I don't think is even plausible unless somethig is medically wrong.
May be this bone is still in her stomach ?
Old 12-31-17, 07:27 PM   #9
Tiny Boidae

Quote:
First of all, no she probably won't die. Second, Why would you feed your Ball Python chicken? Rodents are superior in every category, especially frozen thawed rodents. Even if your feeding quail, your python might not have all the nutritional support she needs. She should be able to digest the chicken bone just fine. Ball pythons are known to eat a variety of prey in the wild. The solid part near the back of her body is probably just feces. There should be no evidence of the chicken wing by a week, let alone seven. Has your snake defecated at all in the last couple of weeks?
That's just wrong. It's perfectly acceptable to feed bird items, ball python or carpet. Maybe not a chicken wing, but quail is perfectly acceptable.

Nutrition Feeder Mice | Nutrient Composition of Feeder Animals

The phosphorus levels for quail are missing, so I averaged the phosphorus levels for all the birds and it came out to 1.7. The ideal calcium: phosphorus ratio is typically 2:1. According to this site, a rat is 2.62:1.48. For a quail, it's 3.43:1.7 (using the averaged phosphorus). In this case, the quail is clearly superior, but given that some info is missing I'd at least venture to say they're equivalent.

In short, no the snake won't die and it's perfectly acceptable to continue feeding birds, although a varied diet is more ideal.
Old 12-31-17, 07:59 PM   #10
MDT

DJC, I gotta agree w Tiny Boidae here. There is nothing wrong with feeding avian meals. I'd like to see growth data that would suggest otherwise. My indigo does very well on a mixed diet which actually includes chicken wing parts. Carpets eat birds in the wild as well as mammals, and seem to grow very well. Kazz, your snake should be fine. Sounds like it needs to poop.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-01-18, 06:04 AM   #11
DJC Reptiles

Okay, my mistake. As with past mentions, I don't believe your animal is in any danger. Carpet pythons get relatively large. I don't think your going to be able to feed quail forever, it might be a good idea to start getting an idea of how you will feed your snake in the future. Maybe do some sort of a mixed diet with the quail, but its up to you to provide for your pet.

Also, how the heck did I assume it was a ball python? I must have been completely out of it.

Last edited by DJC Reptiles; 01-01-18 at 06:11 AM..
Old 01-02-18, 10:37 AM   #12
SnoopySnake

Mixed diets are great. I don't think I'd feed a diet of straight chicken parts but there's nothing wrong with regularly feeding quail.

As far as a snake not digesting the bones....it can and does happen. My ex bf's gaboon vipers would pass fangs so he would look thru the poop (gag) for the fangs and occasionally we would find undigested bones from the rats in the poop. I have also found bone parts in the regurgitated fur from my white lipped python (also while looking for teeth, lol)..Nothing wrong with temps and the animals always pass stool fine. just happens sometimes.
Old 01-02-18, 04:29 PM   #13
kazz

Quote:
Carpet pythons get relatively large. I don't think your going to be able to feed quail forever, it might be a good idea to start getting an idea of how you will feed your snake in the future.
First I was feeding her with small quail and fish. I didn't know about thiaminase (actually there is list of fish who contain thiaminase and who don't). Bu my carpet was shedding every 2-3 weeks.

My carpet don't eat rats. First food I was buying to her was pinky rats. She didn't eat. I was even force-feeding her twice and she didn't like it and I took my first snake bite

Anyway I think a fish with no thiaminase is a good food. And it proofed as often shedding to me.
Old 01-02-18, 06:02 PM   #14
DJC Reptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazz View Post
First I was feeding her with small quail and fish. I didn't know about thiaminase (actually there is list of fish who contain thiaminase and who don't). Bu my carpet was shedding every 2-3 weeks.

My carpet don't eat rats. First food I was buying to her was pinky rats. She didn't eat. I was even force-feeding her twice and she didn't like it and I took my first snake bite

Anyway I think a fish with no thiaminase is a good food. And it proofed as often shedding to me.
If it works for both you and your snake, that's all that matters in the end. I hope you will keep us updated in the future, she really is a beautiful snake.
Old 01-02-18, 09:59 PM   #15
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I feed my snakes a varied diet also but I've never heard of fish being part of a carpet pythons diet and I wouldn't advise others to try this with their carpets.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread