border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-17, 03:03 AM   #1
CockatielKing

Boa ID help

Rescued a boa from very bad circumstances, my mate's girlfriend got in touch with me and said she'd found a group of people in the local park that were going to set him on fire, so she bartered with them and they let her have him for 30 quid. I was absolutely gobsmacked, there are some absolutely disgusting people on the world... I had a spare 4x3x2 viv, so I took him on, and am keeping him until I find someone who will look after him for good. I absolutely love him, he's obsessed with eating me but not aggressive and good with handling once he's out of the viv. He's got a little wound on his nose but it's just from rubbing I assume, and its healing well, better with every shed.

NOW

I would love to keep him forever but I'm going to uni in a year's time. My parents are happy to look after my birds, lizards, etc, but sadly they aren't snake people. My dad loves my corn Maggie and he said he's happy for her to stay but they are both terrified of Caesar (the boid), so I want to find him a perfect forever home. I can't really start inquiring without knowing his locality, morph if he is one, etc, though, and I only have enough boa knowledge to look after one. Can you guys help me with this? I'll get some really good pics later, but these are what I have now.

Cheers!

Stevie
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_8297.PNG (1.30 MB, 27 views)
File Type: png IMG_8296.PNG (1.49 MB, 27 views)
File Type: png IMG_8301.PNG (1.52 MB, 27 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 10-20-17, 12:08 AM   #2
dannybgoode

Re: Boa ID help

Without knowing lineage it's impossible to say the morph. To me it looks like a nice common (although I hate using that word for such a magnificent snake) Boa constrictor imperator. Maybe has a touch of hypo in it but I'm no morph expert - I collect only 'normal' snakes (that is this with the markings as they would be in the wild).

Often just referred to as a Boa constrictor or Columbian red tailed boa (although this is strictly incorrect and just confuses people as there is the true red tailed boa - the Boa constrictor constrictor).

If you want to find a good home for it be wary of Facebook groups, gumtree etc. Where in the UK are you - there's some great rescue centres around but also some very poor ones.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 10-20-17, 12:11 AM   #3
dannybgoode

Oh and note - boas are pigs but should be fed infrequently. That looks to be a good size and how it's had some meals in it I would only be feeding every 4 weeks or so.

My girl who is (by looks alone) younger than this one only gets fed every 3-5 weeks and she's in brilliant shape.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 10-20-17, 06:28 PM   #4
bigsnakegirl785

I might actually feed something a bit larger myself, but I agree, I'd feed it every 3-4 weeks based off its size. It's not an adult, but it is about the same size as my conservatively-fed 2 year olds.

No morph in this one, unless it's het for something recessive, I'd say a common boa (Boa imperator) with unknown lineage.

Tags
boa, identification, rescue