sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-17, 12:02 PM   #1
lonewolf1253

Boa eats tail first-A Tip

Hey,
I have a juvenile Red Tail Boa who would consistently eat the pre-thawed rat pups tail first. I've read it can do no harm but then I've read other articles to the contrary. A friend told me he had the same problem and gave me a good tip. After the prey item is thawed and just before feeding, rub a tiny amount of chicken smell in the head area. Doesn't have to be broth. Just a tiny amount from the grease or the chicken or what-ever to get the smell on there. So I started that and the last 4 feedings she's always eaten them head first. Instead of taking 15 to 30 minutes to scarf one down, she does it in about 3 to 5 minutes. So it does work, at least for my snake. Just thought I'd pass this on. Even us "Old Timers" can learn new tricks. Whatever makes life easier is O.K. I'm my book.
I guess it helps to be a regular chicken eater although it would be easy to keep a small amount of renderings on hand even if you eat chicken just once a month.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-21-17, 01:08 PM   #2
TRD

Re: Boa eats tail first-A Tip

I wonder about why it would be unhealthy(?) link to article? Makes little sense, as long as the food goes it, it will be just fine.
Old 07-21-17, 02:18 PM   #3
lonewolf1253

Well, every snake I've ever owned has eaten frozen, thawed out prey. And they always do the same thing. They strike it and wrap around it like it was alive. Then they release and smell it foot tail to head. Or vise versa. The reason they do this is because its natural for them to eat it head first. Makes sense doesn't it? Goes down the easy way without claws and legs scrapping against their gullet. Its the natural way they should eat. I think having been frozen interferes with their sense of which end should go in first. Just my opinion. Just fed her another 3 hours ago and head first it went in about 3 minutes. As opposed to struggling to get it down *** backwards with legs sticking in the wrong direction and claws scrapping her gullet as it goes down. I prefer to see her eat them head first and am glad I was shown this method.
Old 07-21-17, 04:56 PM   #4
lonewolf1253

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/pytho...ards-help.html

Here's a link from this site. I didn't say it would harm the animal and many of my snakes have eaten them tail first without any problems. I made the comment because I have noticed that it's much easier for them to eat prey head first and the only time I have ever seen it happen was when I fed frozen pre-killed prey. I've fed them live, which I no longer do, and freshly killed and never once saw them eat the prey tail first. So I think being frozen throws off the smell of head or tail.. Feed them any way you like. My suggestion was just that. A suggestion. I like to see them eat the way they were intended to eat and if a bit of chicken smell assures that, so much the better.
Old 07-21-17, 05:41 PM   #5
dannybgoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf1253 View Post
http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/pytho...ards-help.html

Here's a link from this site. I didn't say it would harm the animal and many of my snakes have eaten them tail first without any problems. I made the comment because I have noticed that it's much easier for them to eat prey head first and the only time I have ever seen it happen was when I fed frozen pre-killed prey. I've fed them live, which I no longer do, and freshly killed and never once saw them eat the prey tail first. So I think being frozen throws off the smell of head or tail.. Feed them any way you like. My suggestion was just that. A suggestion. I like to see them eat the way they were intended to eat and if a bit of chicken smell assures that, so much the better.
You're right get due to the way rodent limbs bend etc had first is easier. That said I've only ever fed F/T and I've never had a snake not find the head. From what I've read (although not in any proper science papers) they can sense with their tongues which way the fur is lying and this is how the work out the head end so it shouldn't matter where it's live, f/t whatever.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread