border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-17, 02:52 PM   #1
Cricket1234

Emergency! Please respond!

Emergency! We lost our power, I am worried for my Milk SNAKE! We currently have him in a Tupperware inside a Tupperware with the first one filled with warm water? Any advice?
Login to remove ads
Old 01-23-17, 02:56 PM   #2
Cricket1234

Re: Emergency! Please respond!

The water temp is 80 degrees btw
Old 01-23-17, 03:08 PM   #3
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

How long do you think the power will be out?

Water will cool very quickly. If you have a TSC near you, try to buy some 'warm hands'. It's basically a heat pack. 1 should last between. 12-24 hrs.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 01-23-17, 03:13 PM   #4
Cricket1234

I know. I was switch in out the water every few minutes. I have 8 hour heat warmers I just got, but they get to 135 degrees. Is there a way to make these a safe temp?
Old 01-23-17, 03:43 PM   #5
GyGbeetle

Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle

135 is too high. If you can't go purchase some "warm hands", as Minkness suggested, and you know the power will be out for a few, is there a chance to keep him inside your shirt? I know that's probably silly; it's what I do when one of my dumb snakes decides to sit on the cold side of their enclosure, in the water, for too long. I'll heat them up inside my shirt, and then try to persuade them that the warm side is better for them, not sitting in the water.

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-23-17, 03:46 PM   #6
Cricket1234

What if I kept the hand warmer under 2 or more plastic tupperwares?
Old 01-23-17, 04:23 PM   #7
GyGbeetle

Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket1234 View Post
What if I kept the hand warmer under 2 or more plastic tupperwares?
Test your theory that it won't be too hot in the temp enclosure. Turn it on for half an hour, and then run your temp gauge in there to confirm it won't overheat the snake. They need a cool and warm side, so make sure your BP has an "out" if they get too overheated.

What I did as a temp enclosure was took a rather large plastic container, put the warmer underneath the plastic, and laid some towels over the top. the container was large enough to have a warm and cool side. it didn't get above 90 degrees in there, which I was fine with as a temp solution for my Burmese python. The towel was a regular bathing towel, folded in half. So it made it harder for her to try and lift it up and go directly underneath, and lay on the heat source.

Good luck! Hope your power comes back on soon.

Edit: the heating source was underneath the plastic container. The towels were inside the plastic container. So there was at least the plastic container in between the heat source and the towels. I think this helped alleviate the overheating.

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
Old 01-23-17, 05:11 PM   #8
Jim Smith

If you're able to keep the water temp at around 80 until the power gets back on you should be fine. Perhaps if you put a few inches of 80ish degree water in the tub and float the snake's enclosure in the tub and keep adding warm water as needed it might work better. With the larger volume of water in the tub it will cool slower. My sister keeps Hondurans in Kansas City with no extra heat and they have been fine for many, many years. They are not nearly as sensitive as many of the more tropical species of snake.
Old 01-23-17, 06:54 PM   #9
Cricket1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
If you're able to keep the water temp at around 80 until the power gets back on you should be fine. Perhaps if you put a few inches of 80ish degree water in the tub and float the snake's enclosure in the tub and keep adding warm water as needed it might work better. With the larger volume of water in the tub it will cool slower. My sister keeps Hondurans in Kansas City with no extra heat and they have been fine for many, many years. They are not nearly as sensitive as many of the more tropical species of snake.
that is what I am doing. Thanks!
Old 01-23-17, 10:27 PM   #10
Jim Smith

Sorry, Actually I meant to say in the bath tub (if you have one).

Jim Smith
Old 01-24-17, 09:48 PM   #11
Cricket1234

Thank you guys so much. My snake survived, is doing well ,and was actually quite active. It is so great to have experienced people who devote their time to idiots like me. Thanks guys for possibly saving my snake. I thought that I had prepared for everything.....
But anyway, another dumb question, lol. So my snake's belly was a little cloudy today. Is he going into shed? I was just wondering since his eyes and skin weren't cloudy. Thanks!
Old 01-25-17, 12:39 AM   #12
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket1234 View Post
Thank you guys so much. My snake survived, is doing well ,and was actually quite active. It is so great to have experienced people who devote their time to idiots like me. Thanks guys for possibly saving my snake. I thought that I had prepared for everything.....
But anyway, another dumb question, lol. So my snake's belly was a little cloudy today. Is he going into shed? I was just wondering since his eyes and skin weren't cloudy. Thanks!
Yep, most likely going into shed.. 😀👍
Old 01-25-17, 07:58 AM   #13
Jim Smith

We didn't save your snake, you did. You instinctively did exactly the right thing and then took the time to follow up to ask other more experienced keepers if there is anything else you needed to do. I suspect that your snake will live a long, happy life in your care.
Old 01-25-17, 10:04 AM   #14
TRD

aquarium heater perhaps? heat the water to a set temp.
Old 01-25-17, 09:25 PM   #15
Cricket1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
We didn't save your snake, you did. You instinctively did exactly the right thing and then took the time to follow up to ask other more experienced keepers if there is anything else you needed to do. I suspect that your snake will live a long, happy life in your care.
I sure hope so...thanks man!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread