Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-17, 03:09 PM   #16
TRD

Re: Tank Cleaning Help

I use of 2 of these;
Automatic dimmer time switch - Plumladen

1 light set for the left side of terra light up at 6 am, fade to full in 1 hour and fade out start at 2 pm till 3 pm. Other on right side of terra, fade in start at 11 am to full at 12 pm, fade out start at 5 pm till off at 6pm. Both those lights shine into the terra under an angle... it creates nice shades inside during the sunrise/sunset "events".

Full spectrum light on top of terra (LED, no heat) that goes on for 9 h/day since I have some live plants in there (Portulacaria afra, does really well in arid terra) as well and they need it.

For substrate I use, well, I currently use a mix between some rough sand (rounded), larger stones, wood parts, and zoomed forest floor (Zoo Med Laboratories, Inc.). With the plants and the bedding I fairly easily keep humidity between 30 and 40% depending on temperature. My MBK seems to find the spots where the temperature is 28 C, he has a preference for that temp it seems, average temp is 26 C, cool is 24 C, the hot spots reach about 30-32 C which are used rarely, except after dinner

I don't like newspaper for bedding... your snake will panic especially when not completely covered like in a rack. Snakes only burrow when feeling insecure out in the open. Mine never burrows, he can't care less about digging. Younger snakes burrow a lot... it's a natural survival instinct. If you take that away from them, they may not feel so comfortable about it. It will get better when they get older. Try not to grab him every time he does show his nose as that will only tell him that he should stay underground. Reptiles don't like being picked up, they may eventually tolerate it.

Last edited by TRD; 01-05-17 at 03:17 PM..
Old 01-05-17, 08:29 PM   #17
Cricket1234

Re: Tank Cleaning Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
I use of 2 of these;
Automatic dimmer time switch - Plumladen

1 light set for the left side of terra light up at 6 am, fade to full in 1 hour and fade out start at 2 pm till 3 pm. Other on right side of terra, fade in start at 11 am to full at 12 pm, fade out start at 5 pm till off at 6pm. Both those lights shine into the terra under an angle... it creates nice shades inside during the sunrise/sunset "events".

Full spectrum light on top of terra (LED, no heat) that goes on for 9 h/day since I have some live plants in there (Portulacaria afra, does really well in arid terra) as well and they need it.

For substrate I use, well, I currently use a mix between some rough sand (rounded), larger stones, wood parts, and zoomed forest floor (Zoo Med Laboratories, Inc.). With the plants and the bedding I fairly easily keep humidity between 30 and 40% depending on temperature. My MBK seems to find the spots where the temperature is 28 C, he has a preference for that temp it seems, average temp is 26 C, cool is 24 C, the hot spots reach about 30-32 C which are used rarely, except after dinner

I don't like newspaper for bedding... your snake will panic especially when not completely covered like in a rack. Snakes only burrow when feeling insecure out in the open. Mine never burrows, he can't care less about digging. Younger snakes burrow a lot... it's a natural survival instinct. If you take that away from them, they may not feel so comfortable about it. It will get better when they get older. Try not to grab him every time he does show his nose as that will only tell him that he should stay underground. Reptiles don't like being picked up, they may eventually tolerate it.
I will have to try that with my snake! Awesome lighting arrangement! I should start saving up now to get one lol. I have decided to just do full substrate cleanings every month to keep the tank clean. To respond to your comment on handling, don't worry, I only handle him once every other day, and not when he comes out. When he is out and about I prefer to sit and watch him. I am entranced by snakes beauty, and the way they move. They are such interesting animals. However, when I do take him out, he is very good with being handled. I let him crawl around my room a little too (under close supervision) He loves to look at my fish in my fish tank. Thanks man and have a nice day
Closed Thread