border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-16, 02:57 PM   #1
Adem2660

stethoscope for vets - which one to buy?

Hi there.

Does anyone of you have any experience in using stethoscope for listening your snakes' heart and lung(s)?

I'm thinking of buying one but the price range worries me a bit. I've seen stethoscope for vets in range of 20 USD to several hundreds of dollars.

So I'm looking for some advice on which one to buy
Login to remove ads
Old 12-27-16, 03:14 PM   #2
Albert Clark

Re: stethoscope for vets - which one to buy?

Hey! Being a paramedic and involved in the prehospital care of sick and injured people for 30 years I know the top of the line stethoscopes for human physical examination. I don't know if these would be the same ones used by vets for animals/ reptiles. One of the main brands used are made by Littman, Sprague rappaport, and ADC probably the top 3. You might get more specific info by just talking to your local exotic vet. Personally I only use the vets from Centers for Avian and Exotics. Unsure if you have them in your country.
Old 12-27-16, 03:26 PM   #3
Adem2660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Hey! Being a paramedic and involved in the prehospital care of sick and injured people for 30 years I know the top of the line stethoscopes for human physical examination. I don't know if these would be the same ones used by vets for animals/ reptiles. One of the main brands used are made by Littman, Sprague rappaport, and ADC probably the top 3. You might get more specific info by just talking to your local exotic vet. Personally I only use the vets from Centers for Avian and Exotics. Unsure if you have them in your country.

Hi there!

Woah, paramedic for 30 years? That's amazing! It's a very interesting field! That's cool, sir!

I went ahead and searched for Litmann Stethoscope and I found a cool one. It's called Littmann Master Classic II stethoscope veterinarian and it only costs around 100 dollars. I think I'll give that one a try and if it's not good, well, then I only wasted 100 dollars :P Could be worse
Old 12-27-16, 03:33 PM   #4
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem2660 View Post
Hi there!

Woah, paramedic for 30 years? That's amazing! It's a very interesting field! That's cool, sir!

I went ahead and searched for Litmann Stethoscope and I found a cool one. It's called Littmann Master Classic II stethoscope veterinarian and it only costs around 100 dollars. I think I'll give that one a try and if it's not good, well, then I only wasted 100 dollars :P Could be worse
. Thank you! A very rewarding career for sure. Oh! You won't be disappointed with the Littman bc that is one of the best scopes on the market. It's just that they have so many different models. The cardiology stethoscope is one of the top models. As long as you have a Littman you should be good to go.
Old 12-27-16, 04:39 PM   #5
MDT

...what are you listening for?
Login to remove ads
Old 12-27-16, 05:15 PM   #6
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
...what are you listening for?
I'd also like to know.
Old 12-27-16, 06:06 PM   #7
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
I'd also like to know.
Inquiring minds

Follow up to question one:
What are you gonna do if you think you hear something?
Old 12-27-16, 08:24 PM   #8
Adem2660

Well, my boa still has a slight R.I. She's been on antibiotics for two weeks and she has a week left. I want to try to listen to her lungs and see if I can hear any difference ... I was quite amazed that my vet could hear she had trouble breathing in just a few seconds using her stethoscope

I just want to play around with it ... If I suspect just the slightest, I'll take her to the vet. I'm not going to start self-medicating or anything
Old 12-27-16, 08:59 PM   #9
REM955

My vet had a portable sonogram in addition to the stethoscope.
Got to see the heart, liver, and poop. That's what I remember him pointing out for me. ("Sausage butt" as someone here coined it at the time.)

Hey Albert.
My Mom just retired November 19. Also 30+ some years. Chicago.
I assume you are NYC from your location under member info?
Old 12-27-16, 09:23 PM   #10
MDT

My point is, you gotta know normals before you can identify abnormals. I applaud you for wanting to be able to pick up an illness early, but other components of the history and physical exam play heavily into the diagnosis. Knowing your animal's normal, healthy behaviors will serve you well in the early suggestions that there may be an illness.

In humans, the abnormal lung sounds (crackles/wheezing) persist for several weeks after a clinical cure from pneumonia. X-ray findings will likewise show a consolidation resolving well after the bacteria has been eradicated.

Be careful about hanging your hat on one item. Btw, Littmann Cardiology III best non-electronic scope on the market...just sayin'
Login to remove ads
Old 12-28-16, 06:27 AM   #11
Albert Clark

Hey Albert.
My Mom just retired November 19. Also 30+ some years. Chicago.
I assume you are NYC from your location under member info?

Nice REM! I know she was busy in "the windy city" for sure when she was active. That's really great. I've been retired since 2011. Paramedic, paramedic instructor, most senior paramedic in N.Y.C. prior to retirement as well. I don't miss the trauma but i do miss the medical calls. Lol...
Old 12-28-16, 06:38 AM   #12
Albert Clark

Well, my boa still has a slight R.I. She's been on antibiotics for two weeks and she has a week left. I want to try to listen to her lungs and see if I can hear any difference ... I was quite amazed that my vet could hear she had trouble breathing in just a few seconds using her stethoscope

@ Adem: Remember also that snakes have only one functional lung and it's the right lung. The left lung is a vestigial one. Breath sounds in reptiles (snakes) are very subtle and distinguishing them can be difficult. Next time you are at the vet's office ask them if you can listen to the breath sounds of your snake and get first hand accounts. Good luck with the RI and i hope the snake has a quick recovery.
Old 12-29-16, 08:06 PM   #13
ThirteenRavens

As a certified veterinary technician, my handy dandy stethoscope is one for humans I believe...I don't think they make veterinary specific ones? I picked mine up at a place we have here called Norco...a medical place that sells supplies and oxygen.
Closed Thread

Tags
stethoscope, vet