sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-16, 08:43 AM   #1
the-toddicus

Unhappy Corn Snakes Aggressive on Feeding Day

Hey all,

I have 2 corn snakes (1 male, 1 female) that are fed once a week in separate feeding boxes (not the viv). I have been away for a few days so they haven't been handled but this have never really been a problem, they are usually very calm and friendly. Apart from when I got first got them, they have never been aggressive towards me but today they were constantly trying to strike me. The female came out fine but the male was coiled, flicking his tongue a lot and every time I went to pick him up, he twitched or went to strike me. After I eventually fed them both, both were trying to strike me constantly, I really don't know where this has come from!

Can anyone suggest why this could be and what I can do to calm them? I don't want to lose my confidence with them and I'm teaching my boyfriend to handle them so if it is the lack of handling it hopefully won't be a problem when I'm away.

Thank you
Login to remove ads
Old 11-15-16, 09:01 AM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Corn Snakes Aggressive on Feeding Day

A couple of things come to mind. Were they in feeding mode? Did they strike as you were moving them from the feeding bin back to their vivs? I feed all of my snakes in their enclosures. There's really no need to feed is a separate bin. It's more stressful for the snake and the keeper IMO. Also, how large are they and how much do you feed them? Sometimes they get nippy if they're still hungry. Lastly, always check your temps. If they're too warm or too cold they might get cranky.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 11-15-16, 10:44 AM   #3
Albert Clark

Exactly what EL put forth! Also, these snakes are individuals with temperaments and personalities. Different things affect them and at the end of the day they're snakes. That what snakes do, but there is a reason why they do it and it's our job to find out why. They more than likely won't be that way for long. We do need to give them a certain amount of respect being captive and all bc captivity is really unnatural and has a certain amount of stress in and of itself.
Old 11-15-16, 03:27 PM   #4
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

I believe they're separated to feed due to being in the same viv?... I may be wrong but that's the impression I get.
Old 11-15-16, 03:44 PM   #5
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeyJay View Post
I believe they're separated to feed due to being in the same viv?... I may be wrong but that's the impression I get.
Well that'd be asking for problems, wouldn't it? I get the feeling that youre right though.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
aggresive snake, corn snake, feeding, handling